1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Lennon or McCartney christmas songs

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Who wrote the better christmas song - Lennon or McCartney. If you you don't know the songs or who Lennon and McCartney are then fill in slot # 3. If you don't like either of the christmas songs stated then choose the one you hate the least.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 20 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Lennon or McCartney chrismas songs (20 votes.)

Lennon or McCartney chrismas songs (Choose 1)
    * Lennon wrote the best one - 65% (13)
    * McCartney wrote the best one - 5% (1)
    * I just don't know these songs/ I just don't know these people - 30% (6)

2. Muumli the Wayfarer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Both are great, but Lennon's irresistably makes you sing along, rising to a shout by the end. It makes you feel good and puts you in the holiday mood.

3. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I can't help but sing along with Lennon...

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Personally, I prefer the Waitresses, or Johnny Mathis (but I guess he didn't write "Chestnuts," just immortalized it...). :roll:

5. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Anything written by Lennon. Anything sung by McCartney.

6. Dice

Media:
    The reason I posted this pole was because I love the Lennon song. It seems a lot deeper to me than the McCartney one.

7. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    What are the songs called? I've probably heard them but can't remember :) I always liked Mull of Kintyre myself :o

8. Dice

Media:
    I think the McCartney one is called "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" At least those are the main words of the chorus.

The Lennon one is "And So This is Christmas" Again I'm not sure if that is the exact title but that is part of the song.

"...And so this is Christmas
    And what have you done
    Another year older
    And a new one just begun"

9. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Definately the Lennon one then. Paul McCartney looks like a hobbit in his video :)

10. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Actually, Lennon/Ono released an entire Christmas album , of which "Happy Xmas (War is Over)" was just the hit single. There are some other good songs on the LP as well that never got any airplay. Not sure if it is even avialable on CD, or if it is out of print. It also was released on the "Shaved Fish" album in 1975, and has been released on numerous anthologies and compilations since then.

McCartney's only Christmas song is "A Wonderful Christmas Time" which was released in 1979 on the album "Back to the Egg".

11. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've gone with Lennon for the Happy Christmas (war is over) track.

The one to compare to must surely be "Pipes of Peace" by McCartney which had a WW1 trenches video, not the awful "simply having a wonderful christmas time" or whatever it was called? Pipes of peace wasn't that bad.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.