1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Kensai/Thief or Swashbuckler/Fighter

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Caradhras, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Aahz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

While this requires more than just Carsomyr, it is a powerful tactic. However, in my opinion, the power is all centered around the 10% cumulative spell failure. It just can't be beat in terms of disabling a wizard.

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Although you can use Carsomyr to protect you, I went with a different tactic for my WS/T. I'll be aiming to get the The Answerer. Even if the mage somehow manages to keep up his defences (contigencies and such) The Answerer will drain his magic resistance, making him more vulnerable to other means dealing with him.

What I really like about the Wizard Slayer, though, is when he attacks a mage and after a few rounds the mage will only get spell failures. I normally spawn-trap Irenicus (is just less of a bother) but this time I'll send in my WS/T and watch his mighty spell casting crumble :evil:

3. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

The Answerer with Belm in the offhand iss nasty too.

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Will the extra attack from Belm go to the main hand or the off hand, if you put Belm in your off hand?

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@henkie:
    The off hand only ever gets one attack, so the extra attack ends up going to the main hand.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Geez - with Belm + Kundane what would be your attacks per round? 5 unhasted? That's sick.

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Actually, I've got Mazzy using Kundane (main hand) and the MoD+2 with the Boots of Speed and she's got 5 per round already.
    2 (weapons) + 1 (14th level fighter) + 1 (Kundane) + 1/2 (specialization with short swords) + 1/2 (Boots of Speed seem to give full Haste; bug?) = 5

8. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The Kensai->Thief and Swashbuckler->Fighter builds are simply so different from each other, despite originating from the same base classes, that it simply boils down to how you like to play your characters.

If you're the frontline warrior type, the stylish and impressively slender character, then your pick will undoubtely be the Swashbuckler->Fighter.

If, on the other hand, you're practical and like to murder living things as bloodlessly as possible, prefering to analyzing your foe and taking him down with a quick hit right where it hurts, then the Kensai->Thief is probably your favorite in this arguement.

Comparing the Swashbuckler/Fighter and the Kensai/Thief is like comparing a Thief/Mage and a Stalker -- they're alike in their skills, but each is played so differently from the other a proper comparison is hard to make.

Nonetheless, despite this feeling of impartiality I'm trying to uphold... go Swashie! You can do it!

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

To me, the Swashbuckler / Fighter and the Kensai / Thief are virtually the same character. I can hardly tell the difference. They're both just Fighter Thieves to me.

10. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yep. If you use the baldurdash fixpack the bug is fixed.

11. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

AS it should be, unless you're kicking. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.