1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Jandals, thongs, or flip-flops?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Deathmage, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    First, let's make it care that I refer to those footwear: http://www.beigebrigade.co.nz/kits/kit-photos/jandals-sized.jpg

Now, the Kiwis call it jandals (it makes perfect sense), Australians call it thongs (which makes no sense), and others still are rumoured to call them "flip-flops", which makes even less sense, and after much arguing with Aikanaro the Resident Australian we've decided to make a poll to settle it once and for all. Or something.

So, what do the fine netizens of SP call it? :D

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 36 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Jandals, thongs, or flip-flops? (36 votes.)

Jandals, thongs, or flip-flops? (Choose 1)
    * Jandals! - 11% (4)
    * Thongs! - 11% (4)
    * Flip-flops! - 53% (19)
    * None of the above! - 25% (9)

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I would call them sandals. Never even heard of jandals, thongs or flip-flops ;)

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

4. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

They are, of course, flip-flops.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    They are obviously a kind of sandals as are all shoes that consist of a sole strapped to your foot. Round here, we call them Japanese sandals.

6. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Slippers/sletsen... in Dutch

In English I always use flip-flops.

7. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    chevalier, that's where the name jandals came from in the first place - Japanese sandals = jandals.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I suspected so, but it sounds... wrong. Like japanimation. Eek... Though I do like the sandals themselves. ;)

9. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I'd typically call them 'slippers', which is the proper Dutch word for 'em.
    In English, I'd use flip-flops.
    :borg:

10. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

they are flip-flops due to the noise they make when you walk around and how they look.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  11. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Aye, I've heard of them called thongs, and refer to them as flip-flops myself - due to the fact that they have no heel 'fastening' and will flip and flop around as you walk, slapping against your heel.

I personally don't like 'em much because the thong[/i] (the only piece of support to keep them on your feet) feels uncomfortable between my big toe and 'index' toe. :)

I see the rationale for each name, but I (and my employer - "flip flops do not have any heel support, and as such are not acceptable footwear") call them FFs. :)

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Sandals, as they are basically in the same family. I, though, call them "gay." :p

(And it's a proven fact: even this one show on MusicTV, where one gay advised another, claimed them to be *the* footwear of gay people.)

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  14. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Flip-flops. That's what I call them because of the sound they make against your feet and how you walk in them.

Thongs - Another word I used for them, but not so much nowadays. A 'thong' because there's one bit that fits between two toes, just like a panty thong. :p

15. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Japanese sandals, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them jandals.

16. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Flip-flops. I don't understand how anyone can wear them. They could fall off so easily, and even seeing them continually come up and smack the sole of people's feet makes me wonder if it hasn't driven them insane. :nuts:

EDIT: Seems to be overwhelmingly flip-flops at this point. (10/17)

17. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    In Danish they're called klip-klap(ere) because of the sound, so I would call them Flip-Flops.

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    To me:

Jandals....never heard that term before.

Thongs...a sandal with a piece of fabric/rubber that goes between your big toe and your index toe, also, it's the one pictured.

Flip-flops...are similar to thongs, but instead of the thong part of it, the fabirc goes over the top of your foot, not in between your toes.

The term 'flip-flop' is use to sumerize any sandal that makes a 'flip-flop' sound while walking. However, the term 'thong' is only a flip-flop' that has a piece of fabric that goes between the toes.

So to sumerize things a bit: All thongs are flip-flops, but not all flip-flops are thongs. And a jandal does not exist. :p :rolling:

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Definitely Jandals!

Thong is just a ridiculous word and flip-flop is a bit childish. Why not call your high heeled shoes 'Clip clops'? And your running shoes 'pfft pfft'? And your rain jacket a 'rustle rustle'? You don't name your clothes after the sound they make.

Jandals is the only term that makes any sense.

20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sandals or flip flops.
    Never heard of Jandals! I reckon you've just made it up... ;) .

And a thong is something completely different here!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.