1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Is there too much Spam on Sorcerer's Place?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Errol, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hmmm...I wasn't sure whether this goes in Whatnots or Sorcerous Sundries, so Tal, BTA or Ex, please move it if it's in the wrong Forum. :)
    Now;
    I have recently felt that there is too much 'Spam' here on Sorcerer's Place, and it's near the point where I do not open the Whatnots Topics because it's all Spam!
    Tell me what you feel about this...

Poll Information
    This poll contains 3 question(s). 48 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Is there too much Spam on Sorcerer's Place? (48 votes.)

Is there too much Spam on Sorcerer's Place? (Choose 1)
    * Yeah, there's far too much. - 58% (28)
    * Well, there's quite a bit. - 19% (9)
    * Not so much to bother about it. - 15% (7)
    * I am a spammer! Hail the king/queen baby! - 8% (4)

Do you think something should be done to stop this? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, it should be stopped. - 44% (21)
    * It would be good, but I don't mind. - 35% (17)
    * No, leave it, I love spam! - 10% (5)
    * What?! I just told you I didn't see any spam! - 10% (5)

Are you really that bothered about it? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, I must increase my post count! <Spam> <Spam>!! - 15% (7)
    * Not really, It isn't a big issue. - 35% (17)
    * Yes, I don't enjoy Sorcerer's Place as much because of it. - 50% (24)

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG] Way too much spam.

3. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

4. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

It first it added clolour and a little amusement. Now I'm just drowning in it. 2/3s of the topics in Whatnots I don't even look at.

5. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I have been spamming alot latley i know. Not nice spam, but just goddamn awful spam. I've tried to cut back on the one sentence junk, i didn't realize at first and i apologize. This dosn't mean i'll post less, but i'll try to make the posts better. I personally don't mind the spam, but if it bothers people so much then i guess my clan will have to cut down. /me orders his minions to assemble and apologize. (gothmog, 8people, padeen and keneth)

Oh and Gopher, of course this should be in sundries. :p

[ September 15, 2002, 16:55: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

6. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Yes, WAY to much spam...
    The babling post should be locked down!

7. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] No, silly. The reason we HAVE the random babbling thread is for people to say random things. Unfortunately, spam has become prevalent almost everywhere in Whatnots.

8. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Here I was, writing twenty minutes on a long and maybe even good reply. Then I decided to delete it all and spare you the flames that the civilized persons I used as examples would've no doubt replied with, turning this topic into a flamefest, like some stuff at whatnots.

This cancer just seems to spread on all popular messageboards. I remember when SP was a nice little place to check every day, now it's like just another big board (WotC, Black Isle) you visit, to find spam, badly-done sarcasm, general hatred, thinly veiled insults, and people who get their kicks out of feeling superior over someone on a messageboard. (Whoops, came dangerously close to giving another example.) And no, it's not just the new people, I could come up with several oldies who really don't behave as they should.

Anyway, I used to check 90% of the boards. (Ignoring the in-character roleplay stuff and the place people post their own stories in, and some games I didn't play.) Now? Now I check three or four places here, some of them not always getting even one post in 24 hours.

At least they are mostly peaceful.

9. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Yes there is too much. The original "doh nothing has been posted topic" by slappy took several months to fill up but the new "random babble topics" fill up within a week, 2 at the most and are filled with one-liners and such like. In the original "doh" topic it was for just that when the boards were dead and you just needed to say something not for spam which then gives the impression that spam is allowed on the boards, it isn't.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This is a badly named and defined topic, since it's obviously aimed only at Whatnots, not the rest of the boards. As long as most of the spam's confined in there, it's not too bad.

11. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

I think you lot are realy over reacting. There is next to no stupid posts on any of the game forums. And all the Misc forums other than whatnots are free too. Stop acting so silly all of you. You're moaning about a few topics in whatnots.

12. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Funny you should say that! You know who posted those topics?

13. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

And what stupid topics might that be...hmm?

14. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] There is too much spam in the Whatnots board. And I agree that the topic name should be edited.

My 2c.

15. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I agree that there is too much spam in the Whatnots forum, but I don't usually mind it unless it starts filling up the topic or primarily flaming.

The game forums have almost no spam in them, and that is certainly a good thing.

16. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] As long as the Spammers have a place to spam... all other forums should be fine.

At least Spammers respect they have only one place to spam. I bet Tal would just about murder them (banning them of course!) or just plain shut the spam posts and topics.

I think Tal is smart enough to see that Spammers can't be destroyed. They are like those goblinoid races; they replicate so fast and come from everywhere. So Tal has to give space for them; after all, this forums are democratic in nature and leaving out a major part of society is unfair, even if they spam. As long as they do it in one place only and we don't harbor criminals... everything should be OK.

And Tal, congratulations, you have managed to accept spam in an acceptable way for everyone else.

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Spam was once all good and fun, only a very few posts were spam. Now the whole freakin' boards are covered in it (well, OK, two of the boards)
    I am quite sick of 'Hail spam' threads to be perfectly honest.

18. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

There is a bit too much spam, but I'm not terribly bothered. :)

19. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Z-Layrex
    Minions! The Darkforest shall never bow to you Z!

I do however apologise to all that hate my spamming personaility it's just the way I am :p . Sooo what I did was leave BoM alone until I have something of value to say and it actually works.

/me leaves SS and heads to whatnots

20. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I can barely be bothered to read the boards, anymore, because of all the mindless drivel. It was never this bad.

What I don't get is, do people think that a high post count makes them cool? Like, everyone will disregard the fact that they got that high post count by babbling childishly and mucking up these lovely baords.

That's not just here though, I see it everywhere. I used to see it everywhere but here, but I guess nothing's perfect forever.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.