1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Is stealing Ribald's ring cheesy?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Capt Massacre, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

That's something a lot of us are doing right in the beginning. It saves trouble. The ring is useful for healing your charcters between fights. It hasn't much influence on a fight, but still...
    You are a smart boy to, of all people, pickpocket Ribald... like if you read it in a walkthrough...
    I did!

I have no definite answer, so I'm just asking for your opinion and explanations if you will.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 66 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Is stealing Ribald's ring cheesy? (66 votes.)

Is stealing Ribald's ring cheesy? (Choose 1)
    * Yes it is - 29% (19)
    * No it isn't - 71% (47)

2. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It is a useful item like you said, if it was not there to take then he wouldn't have it. What the hell does he need it for anyway. Steal the sucker.

3. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Perfectly fair, with one caveat: that you don't go there just to steal it. And of course if it makes sense. (i.e. no paladins having Yoshimo do it just so they can use it or somthing)

Seriously, this question reminds me of the one about whether or not using ressurection was cheesy...

4. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Dont be silly. There is absolutely no purpose for it other than to be stolen. He doesn't use it, the only way it shows up is if you kill him or rob him. Since killing him prevents a lot of cool purchases, you rob him and get the ring as a reward.

Heck, first time through, i went in there, the guard says "dont even think about stealing" so i instinctively robbed everyone blind. Simple rpg tactics.

5. Tiberius Gems: 6/31

I did the same damn thing chiz65. Walked out laughin

6. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I read it in a walkthrough, and I've pickpocketed it everytime since.

Yes, it's cheesy, don't deny it. There's NO WAY you'd pick his pocket, except for the fact that you know it's there.

Oh well, it really helps me out, so that's why I do it.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Given

(1) They give you the ability to pick pockets and there is no real use for the skill except to do just that.

and

(2) If anyone in the game is likely to have something worthwhile stealing then Ribald must ba a prime candidate - he owns the biggest shop in the game that has the largest stock of magic items and he is an ex-adventurer - sounds to me like he is a prime candidate for having something good.

I don't see why you wouldn't think to steal from him if you are playing with a thief. Thus I would say that it isn't cheesy.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've never done it. To be truthful, I've never known I can do it.

What ring is it? If it's a ring of Wizardry or Gaax or something, then believe I'm gonna do it. If it's some crappy ring, I'll keep my RP'ing conscience clear.

9. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

1. It's a ring of regeneration, which is very helpful at the beginning of the game.

2. Stealing it is as cheesy as having Minsc use two-handed swords. The question is so silly it doesn't even make sense to me.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It IS cheesy if your Lawful Good character does it, or condones it. Role-playing reasons should dictate whether you do it or not.

11. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I began composing a detailed post, but it got too long and complicated. Suffice to say that we have met the limitations of the game's design, and now experience a tension between software and roleplaying. If the software user identifies himself fully with the PC to the exclusion of the rest of the party, then Harbourboy's point probably stands up. But if the user attempts to role play each character within its class and alignment limitations, it makes perfect sense for the thief to nick the ring and never tell the Lawful Good characters in the party. It would also be appropriate for the Lawful Good characters to object, but if we play the thief to his devious best, he can anticipate this reaction and 'find' the ring on a dead foe. Even if the Lawful Good characters are suspicious, they might dismiss such thoughts and use the ring anyway--and certainly other party members might not be so scrupulous.

The real point of my post is that Harbourboy has scratched the surface of a very big (and I think insoluble) problem--the interaction of the user with the characters, or this 'role playing vs. software' angle. Because the limits of the game frequently demand that the user imagine, or roleplay, aspects of the game, it is easy to produce an imaginative scenario in which a member of a group led by a Lawful Good Paladin (or whatever) steals the ring of regeneration.

And do we really want to turn this into a post about motivation in how one plays the game? Seems like we're running hard for OT.

12. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

If stealing is cheesy, then why have a thief character available?

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's a silly argument. I won't go into reasons why as I can't be arsed.

This depends on whether your role play strictly or not. End of.

14. Tronak el Karbaro Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] I don't know why should it be cheesy. Stealing is a standard rogue ability , and Ribald is as good as a target as anyone in the game. You want to steal from him? So far, so good. I Think the right question is "Is it cheesy to steal from Ribald-or anyone-with a good aligned party"? but as long as you are neutral or evil you can steal from him. It IS indeed cheesy to steal from some characters and killing them to get two items instead of a single one-as you can do with Lavok or Kangaxx-But definitely not Ribald.

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Didn't know he had one before reading it from a walkthrough some months back. :D No, I don't think it's cheesy at all. Dot.

16. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Agreed Tronak, stealing to duplicate items is wrong as it is technically a bug, and you are exploiting it.

Also there is nothing wrong with stealing using a good party, its using a lawful party that creates RP problems. Big difference IMO.

I do think this would be a different discussion if ribald carried something like the ring of gaxx.

17. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Pick Pocket is a cheesy skill, or at least it's implemented in a cheesy way.

18. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Oh no, not this argument again!

(starts wailing like Rain Man)

19. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Its not cheesy to steal. Specially if you use Jan.
    I think of him as a kender not a gnome.
    If you have read the Dragonlance stories, everyone knew that if Tas was around things would go missing. Yet no one ever threw him out of the party (Not that they didn't try;)).
    Even Strum. And that guy became a Paladin.

It doesn't matter what the object is. If it could be stolen then its not cheesy.

The only time I find it really cheesy is when you try to get 2 Rings of Gaxx.

20. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Ive contemplated this a bit and in my (new) opinion, there is nothing wrong with Pick Pocket.. unless you abuse it. The "flip side" of Pick Pocket is that sometimes you are caught and I think that reloading whenever you are caught DOES make it cheesy. Since then there is no possibility in the long term of getting caught it is IMHO equivalent to SKing the items.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.