1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Imoen Poll

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] OK, here's the question - plain and simple. If someone else were your sibling besides Imoen, do you think Imoen would still remain the most popular NPC? Assume everything else stays the same with the NPC's, but simply that someone else was your sibling. All of the NPC's would be the same class, have the same personality, have the same statistics, dialogs, everything.

Regardless of which way you vote, I'd love to hear the comments on why you think she would still be most popular, or why she would no longer be the most popular.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 52 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Imoen Poll (52 votes.)

Would Imoen still be the most popular NPC if she wasn't your sister? (Choose 1)
    * Sure, she's the bomb! - 60% (31)
    * No, but I can't ditch my family - 40% (21)

2. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Why didn't you add the choice: "Doesn't matter, I always dump her" :D ?
    I'll stop making comments on Imoen from now on. But I still don't understand why people like her :confused: .

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Come on people! I want to hear those who are defending Imoen tell me why she would still be the most popular NPC.

If you vote no, your reason is self-evident. I want to know why you still think she's the best. As I have said before:

Why does Imoen always win? She is a so-so thief, and an above average (but by no means great) magic-user, who is moderately funny, has no romance (un-modded), and is not present for the first half of SoA.

So what's the deal here?

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, Imoen is not my favorite but I would have to say that she is one of the more tolerable NPCs because she has a somewhat normal/balanced personality. Everyone else tends towards extremes.

Well, actually Yoshimo falls into the balanced catagory as well, which probably explains why a lot of people initially liked him and were upset when they reach a certain plot development.

Imoen and Yoshimo are both generally cheerful and have a sense of humour without being completely over the top like Minsc, Jan or Korgan. Me, I don't mind extremes but it is sometimes nice to have someone around who isn't either nuts or ultra-straight-laced.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Two different questions ;)
    --- -- -
    If Imoen were "Imoen", but just not my sibling, she no doubt would still be my fav character in BG2.

If "Imoen" were, say; Haer'Dalis or Jaheira, I doubt s/he would be my fav... If I understood correctly.

...Everybody ... Everybody in the house of love... :roll:

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @ Verne

The reason the question in the poll doesn't completely match the description that follows is because of the character limit on poll questions. I could not fit the question:

"If someone else was your sibling besides Imoen, would she still be your favorite NPC?"

The intent of the question was suppose that Imoen is still Imoen i.e., that she is a childhood friend present in BGI and BGII, but that someone else is a Child of Bhaal, is kidnapped by Irenicus, subsequently rescued, etc. She would still be the same class, have the same attrivutes and all that. Assume that someone else is your sibling, like Haer Dalis', Jaheira, or whoever. It doesn't matter who you pick.

Then I'm asking if some other character was your sibling besides Imoen, would Imoen still be your favorite character?

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm wondering if the fanfare regarding Imoen is simply because of her being another Child of Bhaal and the plot line concerning her, or if people just genuinely like her character. If you feel that anyone who was your sibling would serve as well - i.e., if someone else was kidnapped and a Child of Bhaal, then it means you really like the plot line more than the character. If however, you think that you would like Imoen the best even without that plot line, then chances are you like her character the best, regardless of the plot. (For example reverse Imoen and Nalia's roles in SoA and ToB - would now Nalia be your favorite?)

7. ghostwheel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

As I said in the NPC poll thread - Imoen is most behaviorally realistic character. Yoshimo/Cernd/Jaheira and (in distant second) Minsc/Jan will fall into this category as well. Everybody else is too extreme (and therefore too artificial for my taste). Minsc and Jan, while funny, just dont have personalities that I like. But in poll I would have placed them on 4-5th place as well. Cernd is too minor of a character. Out of remaining 3 I like Imoen and Yoshimo personalities best and Imoen, Jaheira and Yoshimo bring most to the game. Between Imoen and Jaheira - I like both characters but I do like Imoen personality more (sibling or no sibling). Now if Yoshimo had an option to survive through whole game, was your sibling and had some very crucial role later in game (plot-wise or romance-wise), then it would have been a very close call between him and Imoen (for me). It would have depended on how well Yoshimo plot would have been executed.

But if everything stays the same plot-wise and everyone in your part became bhaalspawn - I would still would end up choosing between Imoen and Jaheira and would go to Imoen side based on personality.

8. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

due to her teletubbie-like comments all the time she should have wisdom max 3. if she wouldn't be the PC's relative i would neverever let her live more than 30 seconds

9. Arutha Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Like Nocturnal Nomad, I just can't figure out how anyone could have Imoen as their favourite NPC.
    She's one of the most annoying NPCs out there.

Maybe it owes to the French translation. Dunno. She's even more whiney than Aerie. Yuck.

10. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

arutha they both are whiney in english version and german version, too. yeah, real heroes with bag of tears and longbow of stutter and belt of despair and the allmighty robe of the archcriers.

11. Serpent Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well, I don't think she would be my favorite in that case, but still, she's cool.

12. Silwyth Chosen of Shar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yes, I completely agree with Nocturnal Naomad. :heh: I hate Imoen, and I always drop her, in fact, I don't even take her through Irenicus' dungeon with me.

13. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31

I'm glad so much people agree with me, but where are the Imoen-fans :confused: ? Seeing that she won the contest and most people, according to this poll, think she's the bomb, there are not much people actually defending her. The only argument I've read is that she's well-balanced. That's a good point but I need a lot more to convince me.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I have already posted my reasons for not thinking Imoen is not all that great of a character. I was hoping for people to expand upon possible reasons for liking her. My thinking is that she is only slightly more functional than Nalia, and no one likes her, so it can't be her classes and statistics that people like.

My theory on this are that people like her because she is an intrinsic part of the storyline (in which case any BGI original who turned out to be a Bhaalspawn would easily be able to take her place) and that she is familiar because she is a BGI original. But if that is the case, then you like the storyline - making you a BG fan - but not necessarily an Imoen fan. I love the storyline, and I will readily admit that Imoen is an intrinsic part of it. But ANYONE could have been another Bhaalspawn from BGI, and the possibilities would have been vast if more of the BGI original characters were written into BGII as playable NPC's.

In my next game through as an evil party, I will go to Spellhold and accept her into my group on a very temporary basis. I will do this to kill her, as anyone playing an evil character would do. As a Bhaalspawn, other Bhaalspawn represent a clear and present danger to you, so if you're evil it's just good role-playing. So I'll kill her, and then pick up whoever I asked to leave (and told to wait there) while I killed Imoen.

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Since an Imoen fan is being called upon to voice the reasons for her popularity, I'll give it a try:

From a powergaming perspective
    Thieves often have a neat bag of tricks like Assassination and Use any Items, but are they absolutely essential? Imoen takes care of the two most important thieving needs, Trap disarming (with the help of one item or another) and unlocking doors. And she just plain rocks as the "single-class mage" Two characters for the price of one, which frees up a slot for another priestly character or melee fighter.

From a roleplaying perspective
    Roleplaying wise, a great party is a collection of individuals who get along for the most part and are willing to defend each other to the death, but also provide sharp and interesting contrasts.

You all know the kind of pedestal I place Jaheira upon. I also admire Keldorn a lot. But let's face it. Keldorn is your basic humorless straight-man. Jaheira is for the most part lacking in humour, though when the opportunity presents itself, her humour can cut with an edge that would make Jan blush. Adventuring's a serious business and they treat it as such.

In contrast, Imoen represents a contrast infused with innocence, cheerfulness in the face of incredible evil, and a light-hearted spunky type of humour that can make Keldorn go red in the face. Add to that her prowess as a mage, and the overall package is so ... She's second only to Jaheira among my favorite NPCs. No longer being my fighter/mage's little sis' wouldn't change that.

Incidentally, during a battle with Firkraag, I had the pleasure of listening to Imoen proclaim "My blade will cut you down to size!" That voice that's half cockiness, and half naive innocence. It just had me cracking up!

16. Tayja Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Afriad I'm not much help in revealing Imoen's popularity either. I liked her okay in BG1, but in BG2 she's nervous and whiney.

Yoshimo wins in my *most normal, easy-going, fun person to be around* category.

I can't figure out why Imoen's popular except for storyline either.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Finally I am satisfied. Beren has finally made a good arguement. I do try to role-play whenever possible, and is arguement regarding the role-playing perspective of using Imoen is very convincing. (The powergaming bit was pretty good too, but I wouldn't have been sold if it was just that.)

18. Kralizek Gems: 7/31

Your question is not an easy one. While it is easy to imagine another NPC as Child of Bhaal, trying to see Imoen in a different role is a little bit trickier. Many, if not most, of her dialogue lines are related to her relationship with your character, so taking that away would make her a bit shallow. However, if her personality would be properly expanded, I believe she would still be my favourite NPC. Her innocence and her light-hearted approach to adventuring are a welcome addition to my party. And good aligned NPCs tend to be too much on the serious side of life (Minsc being the exception here, of course !)

19. dAS Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I would have to say yes. Imoen is very versatile, having a decent find traps ability, and still is a good mage. I don't see having missed out on 40,000 or however many XP points from the first game is a drawback. Her stats are great for a mage and she has a good Dex bonus to boot which frees up the bracer spot for another type, other than bracers of AC#. Still, I think it would have been better to have a romance, but since the Mod has been made, I am happy :D ...just need time to play it :mad: ....

[ July 17, 2003, 15:31: Message edited by: dAS ]

20. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, I think she's whiny and annoying. So there. But sometimes I have to use her. Oh well. Jaheira is worse and luckily not essential.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.