1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Imoen or Nalia?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Evil Dad, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] Well, inspired by the thread 'Nalias Classes', and trying to keep up with Aldeth, I thought i would create this poll to see how you lot use (or not) Imoen and Nalia.

I very rarely take Imoen with me after Spellhold and will more often than not keep Nalia or Jan.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 53 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Imoen or Nalia? (53 votes.)

Do you take Imoen or Nalia with you on your journey? (Choose 1)
    * I take Imoen and leave Nalia - 72% (38)
    * Nalia is the best, so I take her and leave Imoen - 4% (2)
    * I take both Imoen and Nalia with me - 17% (9)
    * Nah, I don't like either and leave both behind - 8% (4)

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I almost always keep Imoen in my party but I have only once taken Nalia. From a point of view of the story it just seems wrong to me not to take Imoen. Also, I really find Nalia's comments annoying.

3. PsiVen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Imoen's thieving skills are actually useful.

Plus, yeah, I'd feel guilty leaving her there. I usually take both of them because I'm something of a ladies' man :D
    Even more reason if you use the Imoen Romance Mod (though that's w/ ToB only I think, shh).

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Imoen, both for story reasons and powergaming.

I know Nalia will be a bit ahead of Imoen in the Mage department, but the thief aspect of Imoen more than makes up for this. Imoen "saves a spot" since you won't need another thief.

5. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Imoen - better thief skills (and more than enough), plus the RP-ing considerations as well. Also, Imoen can get away with using Limited Wish to protect the party from the undead... which Nalia is not wise enough to do.

Having said that, Nalia is always my mage until I leave for Spellhold with any good party - she just gets dropped off at the Copper Coronet when I get Yoshimo. Nalia would be in if I wasn't getting a better thief and a comparable mage with Imoen, or if I was playing with the Nalia Romance mod using a fighter-class character.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    For me, it's usually both or neither. I like having two mages in my party, so there are times I take them both. However, if I have a sorcerer in the party (Kelsey or PC), then I really only need a backup mage, and Jan fills that role nicely, as he has better thief skills than either of the other two. So it's rare that I have only Imoen or only Nalia, usually either both, or neither.

7. Eaglearrow Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I am still playing BG2 (first time) and took Imoen mostly because I am interested in what is going to happen to her later in the game (if there is anything happening).

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Both. I always have both. Sometimes I also have Aerie. Imagine... three mages. With Jaheira two priests. Not like the remaining paladin and ranger don't cast spells in combat. In short, I own. No matter how you put it :lol:

9. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Jan else Imoen, but never Nalia.
    Last time I took her along to clear out the keep, she started her "What are we doing here ..." dialogue. Couldn't get rid of her fast enough.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

it really depends on my mood, though from a roleplaying perspective Imoen is more appropriate. However, Nalia has a lot in common with the PC -- she's an orphan, she has tended to kick against the will of the people she grew up with (the original BG made quite a bit of the fact that the PC wanted to get out of candlekeep --BADLY) and in my case, both are magic users of some sort. Given my basically neutral good approach to life, I've taken both of them on a regular basis.

I played through a game I labelled the "female dog" Club (edited for the virgin eared among us) and that game consisted of Imoen, Jaheira, Aerie, Viconia, Mazzy, and Nalia. Given that my PC is usually a neutral good cleric/mage or fighter/cleric/mage, I turfed Viconia, as she is evil, and as I have mentioned in other posts, her control undead ability I find to be more of a hindrance than a blessing. That gives me a fighter, a half fighter, Viccy and Aerie, and the PC for clerical endeavors (who can tank if the situation demands it), a mage and a half mage (Aerie again), and some druidical punch.

Admittedly, the group is short of thieving power, especially before you rescue Imoen, but that's why the good Lord made potions and the priest spell "Find Traps" -- not to mention the fact that a ticked off character armed with Mauler's Arm, a potion of strength, and/or a draw upon holy might spell can bash open most locked items. The only downside to Mazzy is that her quest is screwy, so you might have to ditch her in favor of Viccy -- I did, and got her back in TOB.

11. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well I'm really disappointed with you guys. Poor Narlia, no one seems to love her:aww:

12. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Chalk me up in that one as well. Never have taken Nalia, only Immy.

13. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I take Nalia to get the Keep, if I'm playing a fighter. Other than that, Imoen all the way.

14. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31

I have strong hate for Nalia... I clear her keep of trolls and suddenly this mage who busted up 30 trolls and some big snakes isn't a fighting type... Keh! so she gives me, what, 300 gold? Come on, she's a noble! I usually take yoshimo then imoen when out of spellhold.

15. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Who would want an incest mod!?

On topic: I really hate everything about Nalia, so I usually use Yoshimo then switch to Imoen when she becomes available.

16. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I hate nalia but dont particularly like Imoen either..... My PC is usually a thief so I get Aeire to cover magic but the rest of my party is Keldorn, Minsc, Anomen and Jahiera so mages dont usually have much to do.
    Ive been in fights where a mage would start casting from script and by the time Horrid Wilting has finished theres no enemies left. I have Anomen, Areie, Keldorn *and* Jahiera to do the nessecary healing and Harpers Calling and the PC backstabs and hides.

17. Tardazor Gems: 4/31

Well, I usually keep Imoen in my party, but Nalia is the best mage for a good party (except the protagonist, of course), so I kept both in my party.
    I end the game in the first time with Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen, Nalia, Aerie and me (a undead slayer), ok i did not have a lot of muscle, but my magic arsenal was enormous.

18. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I take Imoen for story reasons,nothing more.

19. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I always feel to bad to leave Imoen behind, but by then I've always got rid of Nalia already. I let her have her fun saving her keep (How are we helping the less fortunate trudging around in here?) then wait till the Roenalls are sorted out just for the experience then ditch her in the thief stronghold before it's cleared so once the quest is over I never have to see her greasy face or hear her whining snivel ever again. "!"Oh, yeah, and don't forget to take Jan Jensen"!"

20. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I never forget to take Jan Jansen!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.