1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: "How many good friends do you have?"

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Wordplay, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Follow up to "How nerdy are you?" -thread. Saw this question in the test and wondered how it applies to people in general; is having a lot of close friends a sign of popularity and "non-nerdiness?" Likewise: is solitary life considered nerdy and totally out-of-fashion?

Myself, I have buddies in the uni and family, but I simply cannot make myself care of them enough to make 'besties' of any of them. You?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 53 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: "How many good friends do you have?" (53 votes.)

So, how many *good* friends do you have? (Choose 1)
    * None - 11% (6)
    * 1 or 2 - 25% (13)
    * 3 to 5 - 36% (19)
    * More than 5 - 28% (15)

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The same goes for me. There are people I sit with and talk to at work and college but we rarely do anything after work/college - there is only so much time you can spend with the same people.

I also go hiking, attend concerts, drink in the pub with other people but I would not consider them good/best friends even though we get along well and have great times. Its hard to explain but I am happy with the arrangement.

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

We probably have a different definition of "good friends." :)

Anyway, too many to count.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

When I was in school I used to have several people who I would call good friends but since graduation I would have to say that number has dropped down to pretty well just one.

I still go out with my other friends but only about once a month and while we may exchange e-mails throughout the month that once/month night out is pretty well the sum of our hanging out.

I have friends at work but we generally don't do things together outside of the office. Occassionally we might head over to the bar after work but that isn't exactly common.

5. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I have had good friends but they have been few and I have moved around so much that you lose touch with people. Right now there are zero amount of people I would call good friends. Obviously there are people who I work and drink with and all the rest of that bull**** but I know of no one that I would consider to be a "good friend". Pretty much like Cesard said it you know what I mean. I think as you get older you tend to look first at the negative side of new people you meet so I think that it is difficult to find people with even just the potential to be a good friend of mine. Good friends are few and far between as far as I am concerned.

6. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

"Friends"? Sure.

Good ones? No way.

7. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

The number has definitely dropped over time as people have spread further afield since leaving school, uni etc. but I don't class good friends as someone you have to see regularly.
    Difficult to describe, but there is a level of friendship which can just feel is different.

I agree with Sarevok that I've found it a lot more difficult to make close friends the older I've got. There's only one from work I would count. Still, there is about 8 in total.

Edit. Always forget to include my best friend and better half in this. 9.

8. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Good friends are a rare thing. Most others come and go - after a year or two.
    Three people I call good friends... who I have known for more than ten years. After that time you really get to know a person.

There used to be four more, however they dropped away in the course of the last years, due to some changes in our lifes.
    I sort of miss them though. :(

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Depends what you consider good friends, really. If you consider the amount of trust you put in the person, the length of the time you know him, emotional involvement or whatever else.

Between five and ten, I guess. Used to be much more when I was young. ;)

10. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    About 5, 6 best friends/really good friends.

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I consider a "good friend" someone who would drop what they were doing, hop on an airplane to come here and help or otherwise completely inconvenience themselves were I in trouble. Under that criteria I have about 7-10 and I count myself lucky. (I think quality of interactions, rather than quantity, is important -- some of these people I see once or twice a year due to distance, but we call and e-mail far more often.)

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I have more friends online than I do around here. I have about 5 very close friends to me from school and otherwise.

Online I have so much more :)
    But I guess there are very few close friends from online, a couple count as my 5 very close friends though :D

[Edit]
    The online friends I've counted I also know outisde a computer too ;) a couple I knew before I knew them online and one I knew online first

[ January 21, 2005, 19:16: Message edited by: 8people ]

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Those aren't counted: I'm certain that they are really good friends and quite likely offer you a virtual shoulder when you need it -then conviniently forget all about it. :shake:

14. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I've about three or four good/best friends, one of which stands above the rest and the loyalty which is deep in the souls, we just connect on another level of friendship :) . And I've lots of other friends/quite good friends.

15. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I have a number of acquaintances, but nobody I'd actually call a good friend.

I would agree that good friends are incredibly rare.

16. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

The whole "best friend" thing seems to get more nebulous as people get older, grow apart, raise families, etc. (In my experience anyway)

I've got four friends that I still get together with on a weekly basis for "wargaming night", and these are guys I've known 20+ years (since high school). So does "best friend/good friend" apply? I guess so.

And of course there is my wife/better half/soulmate of 13 years. Can't forget her. She'd hurt me. Badly.

17. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Over the years i made lots of friends, but only three of them i really trust. I know these guys ever since i was little and we still get together on a regular basis to do what we like most...get wasted. :D

18. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I have two true friends and lots of Just friends

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have three really close and true friends and perhaps a few others which I would call friends but whom I dont socialize with very often due to geographical restraints.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm still in college and I'm still hanging out every weekend with my friends from high school and even some from grade school. I've got a large, hmm, i guess the most appropriate word in english is "crew" (without the notorious undertone :p ). We number around 25-30. But of those guys, only around 10-15 are REALLY good friends.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.