1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: How many frames per second do you play with?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by chevalier, Dec 18, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Press tilde (~) and type "showfps" in the console. How much do you get while playing normally?

If you'd be so kind, please post your system config and (at least the most important) game settings. Hint: Shadows, MipMapping and VSync are the most noticeable lag causes. In some cases, dropping texture resolution from high to medium gives some results. Going lower than 1024*768 gives you like 1-2 fps more, but perhaps higher resolutions differ more between one another.

I'll post mine so soon as I've figured out what to stick with. For now, with my Celeron 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM and GF FX5900 XT, I can make it run as fast as 22 fps, but the looks are bad. I can get 10-14 fps indoors with high textures and some light shadows and linear filters, as well as mipmapping. I think 22 fps was what I got when I turned off mip-mapping, actually, but that's one setting I would definitely keep on, as it makes more visual difference than even texture resolution or, well, screen resolution. It just makes it look very bad when I turn it off.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 12 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: How many frames per second do you play with? (12 votes.)

How many frames per second do you play with? (Choose 1)
    * Less than 5 - 0% (0)
    * 5-10 - 0% (0)
    * 10-15 - 8% (1)
    * 15-20 - 33% (4)
    * 20-25 - 33% (4)
    * 25-30 - 17% (2)
    * More than 30 - 8% (1)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Specs: Core 2 Duo E6400, 7900GT, 1mb RAM

Frames per second: Ranges from 14 to 29, depending on what is happening.

3. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I keep a steady 25-30 so far. amd 3700+ 7800GT haven't reached the 2nd chapter yet though so i haven't seen much spell-wise

4. chevalier

Media:
    I'm getting 12-19 on my junkie, although I've seen 6 when sweeping the camera, and I could see a more or less stable 16-17 with Low textures (I have medium) and in 800*600 (1024 for me), exceeding 20 if I do nothing, I guess. Most of the time I play, I have showfps disabled because it's quite ugly and disabling it saves me some additional stress, but the game is playable in the beginning. From what I've gathered, the beginning is one of the laggier places in the game, so I should be fine. It may suck in battles, I guess, but I'm the pause boy, anyway. ;)

Since you guys have nVidia cards, you don't need the ATI shadow workaround, do you? ;) In My Documents, there's that Neverwinter Nights 2 folder (with your own settings, saves etc that other people don't see). There's nwn.ini there too and it contains a setting called "ATIWorkAroundForPointLightShadows". Setting it to 0 is reported to help framerate a tiny bit, although I can't exclude all those people (and I) are seeing things.

How many fps do you get with Vsynch disabled?

5. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Vsync is disabled. I don't believe that having vsync enabled would do anything since my in-game frames don't reach what my monitor frames do.

6. chevalier

Media:
    Vsync doesn't work correctly and it slows games down even if the fps doesn't exceed what the monitor can hold.

7. silz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm getting about 15~24fps with all settings set at max and playing with 1280x1024 res.

specs: P4 HT, 2.5GB RAM, 7900GT

8. chevalier

Media:
    Dear... I have a Pentium 4 2.6c with HT, 1 GB RAM and 7600GT and I get 30 in 1024*768 in a normal situation. Sorry to hear about your case. It's pretty frequent for people with high-end systems to have crappy framerates in this game. :( I have high texture resolution, low or no shadows (can't recall), AA2, Bloom enabled, maybe something else, no water reflection or refraction, maps at 1024, normal mapped terrain and maybe something more. Two lights per object.

Errr... this is my .ini, anyway:

[ February 01, 2007, 21:11: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I honestly don't care about frame rates in an RPG unless it gets obviously jumpy. I doubt I would even notice until it got down to 5 or 10.

It's not like your screen starts flickering, since your monitor refresh rate doesn't change.

10. chevalier

Media:
    Below 15 fps, NPCs stop behaving correctly and start wasting attacks and the like. Low framerates cause the constant running effect like you had in KotOR on weaker machines. Brother walked backwards to play his game. People say 15 up is okay for playing this game and I sort of agree... 13 felt somewhat fluent. But given the drops to below 10 from around 20 the moment you had to fight a simple battle...

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I play at approx 15-20 fps. I'm happy I have xUI because it allows me to give simple orders that significantly improve party control. I regularly have to order 'attack next enemy' because my NPCs stand idle.

12. chevalier

Media:
    Try backing up your nwn.ini and using mine to see if you get any improvement? If it works, you can always choose the right blend of settings for you. :) I've recently seen 51 and even taken a screenshot, it was such a shock. I'll see if I actually get that again or if it stays for long.

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Can't remember exactly, but it was pretty smooth for the little while I played. Less smooth when in battle, though...

NWN2 is a too boring game anyway to justify juggling with the bad engine.

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Core 2 Duo E6600
    2 GB DDR2 667 MHz
    512 MB ATi Radeon X1300

Playing at windowed 1024x768 resolution, high textures, normal bump mapped terrain, point light source number thingy at 4, shadows on low...

Plays at a steady 22 fps...

15. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I'm getting from bout 13 to 40 fps.
    Athlon X2 4200+
    2GB RAM
    Radeon 1800XT (kinda like 7900gt)

It's really annoying though, most of the time i play call of duty 2 and there i get annoyed if fps drop below 125.I dont care what all sorts of theories say about human eye detecting only that many fps. When you're rotating around fast enough(as much as you sometimes must to play well) there's a definite difference between say, 125 and 200. Stuttering when i rotate camera in nwn2 makes me wanna quit until they fix the engine to work well enough.
    I doubt SLI 8800GTX would make this game perfrom smooth

edit: typo, written 7800gtx instead of 8800 :o

[ February 22, 2007, 00:21: Message edited by: Gothmog• ]

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Update: I've upgraded my video card to a Radeon X1650 256 MB GDDR, and right now I'm playing at:

1280x800 resolution
    Low Shadows
    Everything else set to max detail

Gives my 20 fps in outdoor areas and 30 fps indoors...

17. Fluff-n-Oncense Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have a good spec PC with latest drivers, etc., and, like everyone else in this thread, very poor performance (game is stuttering). This is not good. A major mistake was made in releasing this game without proper testing. Guess we will have to wait until the developers fix it because all of the fixes here are nothng more than 'make do' and that's not what I paid for.

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Fluff n Oncense: Have you patched your game to v1.04?? It takes care of a LOT of stutters. Oh yeah, and turn your shadows off or down to low...that gives you a LOT more fps than you would think.

Furthermore, what exactly is your configuration?? Its pretty smooth on mine!!

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Man, all you people turning off shadows are missing out on great eye candy :)

There's only one place where the game stutters badly for me: Parts of the main map of the Arvahn ruins.

20. chevalier

Media:
    The problem with shadows is that they eat a lot of resources. I think the difference between low and none isn't that big, but high may be a big lagger.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.