1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Good or Evil?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Hux, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Hux Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

In any BG game which do you prefer to be, good or evil?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 29 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Good or Evil? (29 votes.)

Good or Evil? (Choose 1)
    * Good - 72% (21)
    * Evil - 28% (8)

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Neither, both, whatever. Pure chaos, baby! :roll:

(Typically high-rep neutral.)

3. Hux Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I picked good because it's the right path. It's how you become a hero. In BG games however, good is only rewarded by a high reputation making people respond the truth to you and telling you information along with buying things cheaper. Evil helps you more because usually you are stronger and have better abilities. Besides, in BG games money is absolutely no problem. I usually end up with over 500 000 gold pieces. Clerics can make undead join you in your fights, you can kill innocent and good creatures and get their belongings, etc. Still, I choose good because it's a heroic and noble path.

4. FrickenMoron Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

As much as I love those evil characters and their personalities, I cant bring myself to be a real bad mean lean guy in the game, and somehow always end up helping poor people, even tough theyre just AI scripted NPC. I still cant just be rude to them :/

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Mostly good for me. I just have a hard time being evil and *not* having the guard show up as well. What? This peasant? Why, I really don't know how he ended up knocked unconscious or his jewels in my pocket. :evil: :holy:

6. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

You don't always have to be rude even if you're evil. I mean, look at how rude Mazzy is to Valygar, even though they're both technically good. Or look at how Sarevok is more polite than, well, almost everyone. :) I usually play good because I like the good NPCs better (some of them, anyway).

I did play an evil party once (finished the whole thing, in fact) but it wasn't that different from a good party in terms of gameplay. About the only thing that's really different is getting to say "What will you pay me if I do this?", or being rude to various people. But I'm always rude to Melissan and the elves in Suldanessellar anyway even when I play a good character. They just rub me the wrong way.

7. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Neutral for me (with good tendency), I can't exactly say that I'm good when I do the killing all the time, and there's no reason to be evil when you get punished for it, plus, evil PCs tend to end up looking half-ass in this game (and many others).

So I'm greedy, yes, egoistic, yes, but I usually help people when I feel like it, and never harm anyone unless there are good reasons to do it (what's the point of killing someone for 100 gp when you already have infinite money?), and not totally unreasonable when it comes to saving the world either.

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Neutral, although the game is designed around being good or evil, so I end up picking mostly good options. I would prefer it if they had added a more neutral element to the game.

9. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    I'm usually Good or Neutral orientated, but I'm currently playing my first game as Evil. I had great fun goading Anomen into a fight and then killing him and his guards in his house. I also enjoyed mouthing off to the guards when I entered the Government District at night.

10. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Either, though chaotic nutral comes naturally to me ;) i like thieves (assassin types are my fave these days) so evil is one way i like playing alot. I used to be a bit of a psycho, kiling all things and choosing the worst outcomes but now I like a more balanced 'Renal Bloodscalp' evil! heheh, being evil is not about being a mass murdering lunatic I've found :)

11. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    But mass murdering lunacy is so much fun. Apart from killing Anomen and company, are there any other killing sprees you can go on without harming your rep?

12. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Frankly, I don't like the way the game implements any of the good/evil choices. The definition of evil seems to be being rude to the people who give you a quest and then doing the quest the exact same way anyway. And the definition of good seems to be going around and helping people who don't ask for it, and you have to act like a paladin even if you're a chaotic good ranger or a neutral good fighter/mage (my favorite character).

"So make your character true neutral!" is what I'm sure someone will tell me.

13. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Good. It's just pure calculation. You get more benefits for doing quests in a good way :D

14. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

@Undertaker. I pick good for the same reason :D

I find the neutral way to be the hardest to rp though.

15. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I'm neutral, though good is easier, evil is fun!

16. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I was good the first time I played, just because it's easier, although when I got a feel for the game i became an evil character 'cause being an evil character was just too much fun!!!

You can do what you want, when you want and for whatever reason you want and you don't have to worry about any consequences. Pure Bliss! :D

Being a F/T may have an effect on that decision too ...

17. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I usually play close to neutral but playing "smart" evil is fun.

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Good. But this doesn't mean all cash ends up in the Ilmatari temple. ;)

19. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I gotta go with good too. I tried evil once, and while playing with the evil NPCs was refreshing, telling Imoen to find her own way out of Spellhold felt so wrong that I abandoned the game not long after.

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I just don't think that these games make it very easy to be evil. But even if they did, I would still find it hard to go around killing innocent people, for example. Sometimes my characters might steal stuff from people's houses but they hardly ever kill when it is not necessary.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.