1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: God or Mortality?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Here's a few other choices, of what path you would choose whether you're good, neutral, or evil, and whether or not you are romancing anyone at the time (regardless of who you're romancing).

For me it breaks down like this. First of all, if I'm romancing someone I always choose mortality. Always go for the nookie.

If I'm not romancing someone, I choose god if I'm evil or neutral, but mortality if I'm good.

My reasoning here is simply that I cannot fathom how a good character (especially a paladin) can replace the Lord of Murder. Doesn't make sense to me.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 6 question(s). 47 user(s) have voted.
    Voting stops at August 13, 2003 21:08 board time.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: God or Mortality? (47 votes.)

If I am not romancing someone and I'm evil, I would: (Choose 1)
    * become a god - 94% (44)
    * remain a mortal - 6% (3)

If I am romancing someone and I'm evil, I would: (Choose 1)
    * become a god - 70% (33)
    * remain a mortal - 30% (14)

If I am not romancing someone and I'm neutral, I would: (Choose 1)
    * become a god - 74% (35)
    * remain a mortal - 26% (12)

If I am romancing someone and I'm neutral, I would: (Choose 1)
    * become a god - 28% (13)
    * remain a mortal - 72% (34)

If I am not romancing someone and I'm good, I would: (Choose 1)
    * become a god - 68% (32)
    * remain a mortal - 32% (15)

If I am romancing someone and I'm good, I would: (Choose 1)
    * become a god - 21% (10)
    * remain a mortal - 79% (37)

2. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The way I see it is that you are not taking Bhaal's place. You just use his divine essence to become a god, but with your own portfolio. Also, a good character might feel a stronger pull to godhood as a way to repair the damage caused by the Bhaalspawn, even when romancing someone (acting for the greater good :holy: ).
    As far as evil PCs go, I nearly always go for immortality and power :evil: even when romancing.

Actually, when it comes to romance I see it more as a lawful vs. chaotic decision then a good vs. evil one.
    It might sound quite complicated (it does to me at least :) ) but hey, the decision you are about to take is not unimportant.

3. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

i went godly for all but romancing nuetral and good

4. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

you can still be with your loved one.. just when they die

5. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

First of all I've only done the evil route once and never to completion as it was so incredibly boring and mundane. Since I had to provide answers for that, I chose mortal.

None of the characters I have played have ever had any aspirations to become gods. What they were born with was not just a taint, it was a curse. While their names were sung with praises nearly everywhere they went for their deeds, they felt as if they were only being sung because of what they were; not who they were. They were tired of being used and only wanted to prove themselves to the world.

They did not want to deal with the pettiness of the gods nor did they want to involve themselves with their machinations and plots. They did not want to be worshipped; they did not want to be feared. They simply wanted to experience the life for which they had been deprived. Whether paladin or priest, ranger or rogue, mage or monk -- they all wanted to carve out a life that was truly of their own making and devoid of divine interference.

6. Shazamdude Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Pssh. If I'm a god, I'll CREATE love. Anyway, if she was really devoted to me, she'd become my preistess anyway. I mean, come on Aerie. Me or Baervan? Think of the baby. It's not everyday you get to become a god. I'm sure she'll understand.

7. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Generally I would become a god. My opinion when you are good is that if/when you become a god you would become a (sort of)death god. Not a god of Murder, but a lord of justice and death in battle.
    (I hope that makes sense."

8. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Whenever I'm evil, I always elect to become a god. Viconia regards it as self-demeaning to refuse the power solely on account of her. And besides, as an evil bastard who's been craving power all along, its the only decision that makes any sense.

As for my good fighter/mage, his attitude towards his taint is by and large identical to Imoen's. He's had to constantly suffer and fight against it to remain his own person, someone who genuinely cares for others. Besides which, how am I going to leave behind sweet, sweet Jaheira? :love: There's no way I would do that to her feelings. Ever.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The results are mirroring what I expected for the most part. If you're playing evil, like Beren said, a true role-player would almost HAVE to choose god. Evil people are by in large concerned with helping themselves. So of course they'll choose immortality. With the exception of evil though, the biggest deciding factor appears to be whether or not you're romancing someone.

Oh, and I enjoyed the one comment earlier. If you're romancing someone, they should get over it when you choose god-hood (saying that it's not like they won't see you again when they die).

10. Gaidin-_- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

the way i see it is that i choose the mortal path once for the ending by my role-playing doesnt allow otherwise.

The evil character wants it, as weve seen above.

But the good character. Why would they want it? Well...they wouldn't. But they have no choice really. Think of it as the Dune syndrome. Paul Atreides spends the entire first two books trying to disengage from the path that was laid before him. He was forced down it, and to the godhood provided by the priesthood of his following.

Same basic sense here. The good character does all he can to avoid it, the word disengage being repeated to themselves over and over daily. But, situations force them on. They have to stop the other Bhaalspawn who are actually seeking the power. And in the end, she's the only one left. And he can's just leave the place empty, lest another Jon Irenicus come along and try to do to the same thing to her again.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @ Gaidlin

There are some good character that would WANT to become a god. In fact, some might jump at it. To replace an evil god with a good god, as a force of right in the world may be very appealing. However, they certainly aren't forced into it, and there will never be another Jon Irenicus to come around. If you choose mortal, your Bhaal essence is destroyed. There are no more Bhaalspawn in the world, and all the essence is gone. Even if another Jon Irenicus were to come around, you no longer have the divine soul that he would want.

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Shame they did not implement the third option. :p

You know what the Five said; they could become Bhaals right hand -demi-gods. Why not take your lover/s with you as a demi-god? :D

13. Gaidin-_- Gems: 3/31

lets hope the wife isnt a feminist...else she'll be *****ing about her demi-godness and how she'll have to be raised to full deity status or she'll divorce... :lol:

anywho.....well bleh....so much for my slight creative stint on why a character would be forced into the godhead....Did he/she know the bhaal essence would dissolve if she chose mortal?

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yup. The Solar explains what your choices are, and what the ramifications are for each choice. You are told your choices are to ascend to full god-status, or live the rest of your life as a mortal, and have Bhaal's essence removed from you.

Oh, and the feminist comment is hysterical.

15. Tayja Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@Gaidlin-

From the other point of view, Goddess-hood would certainly doom the relationship. Very view men can handle a woman wearing the thunderbolts in the family.

...*I HAVE DECREED IT- THOU SHALT NOT WATCH FOOTBALL WHEN I WISH TO CUDDLE!*-House shakes, TV blows, All chips in house disappear, Guy pals suddenly find themselves routed to another dimension-

16. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31

I dont understand why a Good player wouldnt want to become a god, im assuming that you would take what was once bhaals (ie Death) which means you can grant people a nice and easy death, or choose not to take someone who might be saving the world at the time etc Just because you becme the lord of murder doesnt automtically make you evil.

17. Gaidin-_- Gems: 3/31

uhh...bhaals forte wasnt death....it was murder...

too much of a difference between the two...

18. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

So that might mean that if there is a good god of Murder, murderers would have a really bad time. Good guys wouldn't get murdered, but evil people would.
    Still you could do a lot of good.

19. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31

Bhaal was God of death, he gave himself the title "Lord of Murder" among others, so the PC could continue with this in an evil vein of become a nice god of death :)

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Murder is evil. When it's not evil, it's just a kill, not a murder. Lord of Murder might be neutral though, if personifying some more or less (un)natural force.

Generally deities assume new portfolios from time to time or fight for them and gain or lose them - Cyric is a good example of this. Technically a god may have five portfolios completely different to his starting one. This way it's deity's essence that matters, sort of higher being's blood. Portfolio may or may not be relevant and even when it is, it's quite easy to come up with a small redesign. A shift from the god of murderers to the god of the victims, for example. Solace and guardian of those who die a violent death maybe. Lots of possibilites.

The first time I played, I replayed the fight to see both endings possible for me. Actually my LG paladin was said to be some uber-smiter in the name of good and balance. Balance, heh.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.