1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: FR Lich hunt across the North

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Ilmater's Suffering, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I was wondering if anyone was up for another RP (I'm feeling somewhat creative and my Spring Break's coming up, assuming I make it through my midterms).

It would be taking place on Toril, in the North, probably start in the Sword Coast North or Waterdeep region and move through the Savage Forntier, Silver Marches and on to Anauroch (Wonderful characters like Drizzt, Klauth, Gerti Orelsdottr or Elaith Craulnober will not be appearing, nor will I be creating any knockoffs).

The starting premise would be that a lich and his minions, have been moving through the North, doing what lichs do (trying to complete their task with no regard for the life lost in the process). The Lords of Waterdeep, Lord Nasher, High Mage Taern, the Council of the Confederation of Icewind Dale, or some other entity as offered an reward to the destruction of this roaming lich. We'd start out as mid to higher level adventurers (no epic adventurers though) as we're suppose to be seasoned or at least powerful adventurers if we're chasing a lich.

Being as we're in relatively rugged and undeveloped land, it becomes a perfect place to odd and ecentric PCs and NPCs that have "moved on" from the civilized south.

I wouldn't be expecting characters to start in the same area, as the lich's actions would effect more then just one region.

I'd also be encouraging, but not requiring the use of 2 or more characters per person to give the RP the feel of a hunt and so we can have expendible characters.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 5 user(s) have voted.

Poll Results: FR Lich hunt across the North (5 votes.)

FR Lich hunt across the North (Choose 1)
    * Yes, I'd Play - 80% (4)
    * Count me Out - 20% (1)

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Why does this remind me of OotS? :hmm:

3. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

I guess it kind of does. Though the PCs in this RP, in theory should be working for A. altruistic reasons or B. Money, Money, MONEY... though I suppose if someone wanted to, they could take a revenge aspect

Also this Lich isn't malicious, he just doesn't give a damn about anyone else, he wants what he wants and will do whatever it takes to get it, regardless of the cost. The lich is completely unconcerned with the adventurers, so long as they don't get in the way of his goal, they could follow him to the ends of the earth for all he cared. His ghouls, morhags and what not (the free willed undead who follow the lich because he's more powerful then they are and because they get a greater chance to hurt someone this way) are very malicious so they sort of pick up the lich's slack.

Also the lich in this RP wouldn't be activating anything that would undo creation, but instead the inability to understand he completed his goal, leading him to return to the North, trying for ever to find what he was looking for that he already found.

A lich is also the only boss type evil character that would appear to behave as erraticially to the outside observer as I need. I can't use a Nightwalker, Vampyre, Pit Fiend or Balor because 3 of those would do nothing more then senselessly slaughter and one of them can't think beyond it's next meal and gets lazy when it's not hungry enough to hunt. A rampaging dragon also somehow seems a bit off, though some of them, like Klauth act erractic enough to work. However, the undead, much like outsiders from the lower planes, have a certain appeal to me.

[ March 23, 2006, 00:17: Message edited by: Ilmater's Suffering ]

4. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Am I right in getting the impression that you'd like mercenary groups to join rather than various indivduals? If yes, then I'm definitely in for it and when you're ready I should have got through RL commitments to enjoy it the more.

5. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Either or works. It's very likely that cohesive already existing mercenary groups have joined the hunt as well as lone individuals hoping for fame, glory or what not.

6. DarkStrider

Cool then I'd like to play please :grin:

7. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Because we'd be playing with higher level characters, it would allow me to bring in some more interesting "reknown" NPCs.

Valric Kronhelm, a 35th level Lawful Evil Vampire Fighter, a reknown eccentric who enjoys the company of young, still living women and a good chat with higher level adventurers about honor and glory. Because he is so powerful, he considers PCs to be unworthy of his might and will not fight them even if they attack him, allowing his minions to fight them, while he casually makes his exit.

Lovora Nurrenval, a 10th/10th level Neutral Evil Vampire Rouge/Shadowdancer who accompanies Valric at all times.

Melona Duval, a 20th level Chaotic Evil Vampire Sorceress who accompanies Valric at all times.

Ulgar Wolfsblood, a 7th/6th level Chaotic Evil Werewolf Lord Barbarian/Animal devoted to Malar, leads a small pack of werewolves. Reknown for unspeakable crimes across the North, leading to the creation of more natural and afflicted werewolf lords.

Avar Bloodyfist, a 14th level Chaotic Evil Human Fighter who always accompanies Ulgar, devoted to Talos. Reknown for his love of butchering clerics of Chauntea, Eldath, Lathandar, Oghma and Waukeen, also for his incredibly low intelligence.

My beloved Lady Elsa Londarvald, a 2nd/8th level Lawful Evil Nephilim Outsider/Sorceress, who has been magically corrupted to fall from grace by the political mechanizations of her own grandfather, a high ranking noble of Waterdeep (who's title Elsa stands to inherit). Subject to fits of altrustic acts of charity from time to time. Otherwise Elsa spends most of her time trying to increase her status and perserve her propriety, honor and rigid adherence to the law.

Sir Kalias Pomloran, a 20th level Lawful Good Human Paladin of Tyr, reknown for his righteous zeal and his belief that the only way to protect the innocent is to blindly hunt evil where ever it lies, forcing it to submit to justice for that acts it has committed, with no redemption for wicked ways, for the innocent can only be protected by a blind adherence to justice, there is no room for forgiveness. Sir Kalias is also known for his ability to whip of recruits from nearby villages in his crusades against evil.

Hrothgar Bearclaw, a 7th/6th level Lawful Good Werebear Fighter/Animal who has pledged his life to hunt down and slay Ulgar Wolfsblood. Reknown for his great strength as well as the ferocity in which slew a pack of yetis that had been terrorizing Icewind Dale.

[ March 25, 2006, 23:42: Message edited by: Ilmater's Suffering ]

8. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

I was also thinking that each character needs to have an ECL of at least 8 (anything less and you what to wonder what they're doing hunting a lich, when they'd likely get taken to town by a morhag) and nothing more powerful then an ECL of 16 (elite adventurers, but not too elite, those sort of adventurers are rather rare). Any race that allows you to fit within the ECL of 16 is far game. A Ilithid with one PC level is fair game (ECL 16), while an Astral Deva with one PC level is not (ECL 21). One would have to wonder what a mind flayer would be doing hunting undead though.

I figured I'd give a little more range on the races this time. It is the North after all, Sword Coast North, Icewind Dale and the Savage Frontier aren't beyond holding odd and dangerous races. Just remember certain races (namely Orog, Bugbear, Ogre and Ettin) will not be able to work with human governments and others will refuse to work with/under lesser beings (Mind Flayers) and have to find their own justification outside of being hired. Luskan might be the one exception to not hiring generally dangerous races, though I can't think of a good reason the High Captians or Arcane Brotherhood would give a damn about the lich (specifically since the lich seems to be more interested about something in the countryside). Maybe they think the lich is pursuing a powerful magic device which would profit the Brotherhood if they got their hands on it.

9. DarkStrider

Ok I'll knock up a group the leader will be about 12 and the others 8-10, I'll let you have a look then and see if they're ok.

10. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Another thing I forgot to mention was "Home Region". This determines what regional dialects one speaks as well as what bonus languages they can pick up. I've got my FR Campaign Setting Book lying here right next to me, so I can help anyone who needs help picking up a home region.

EDIT: Also effects regional feats

11. DarkStrider

Can I have an obscure mountainous region mainly human, if possible please, let me know the details

12. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

What do your characters look like (coloring and such)? If we figure out their ethniticy (Illuskan, Chondathan, Tethyrian, etc...) I can better help you pick a region.

13. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Couple of questions:

1. Prestige Classes?
    2. Non-human races?

Can I use my group from my story?

Daie d'Malkin: Elven Cleric/Ranger (3ed, uses a sword)
    Raven d'Malkin: Drow Cleric/Fighter
    Minstra del Gardia: Elven Druidess
    Maron Sentburg: Avariel Priestess

14. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

can use any non psionic prestige class (Faerun is low psi world) and play any race so long as your ECL is no higher then 16. Drow have +2 level adjust and avariel, if they haven't been changed since 3e have a +3 level adjust so they're perfectly fine.

15. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Hmm. I assume my Ghaele would have a higher than 16 LA then.

16. DarkStrider

Party is the SteelRose Clan

Rose McFatchen: Ranger/Cleric
    Claire McFatchen: Fighter/Druid
    Ethan McFatchen: Assassin
    Glen McFatchen: Mage

All human, dark hair, dark eyes, swarthy skin. Ethan and Glen are twins, their sisters Rose and Claire started working first. Rose is the oldest.

17. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

I fear a Ghaele's high mobility coupled with the extreme range of it's light rays would lay absolute waste to the undead horde. A Ghaele with one associated PC class has a challenge rating of 14.

18. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

if they have an eastern europeanish feel to them, the Rashemi or Raumviran would probably work the best. The primary difference between the two is that the Raumviran are little taller and fairer skinned.

Tethyrians also seem to also always work for anything because of their mixed ethnicity.

[ March 24, 2006, 01:46: Message edited by: Ilmater's Suffering ]

19. DarkStrider

I'll take the Rashemi then please :)

20. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'll join if you let me. I'll just use Jex'talin from the Rasheman and Brynne Shander stories. He's kind of my Forgotten Realms fall back character.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.