1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Fireball vs Skulltrap

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by diebysteel, Jul 28, 2003.

1. diebysteel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Fireball or skulltrap- both are 3th level spells, but which one is better? The fireball has a greater range and can be placed everywhere, while the skulltrap has more damage, but a smaller area effect and it needs to be close to an enemy. Which one do you prefer?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 28 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Fireball vs Skulltrap (28 votes.)

Fireball vs Skulltrap (Choose 1)
    * Fireball - 50% (14)
    * Skulltrap - 50% (14)

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Fireball when my fighters have 100% res to it, but usually I use neither; chain-lightning, Wilting, and such are so much better. :cool:

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

I voted Skulltrap.

It has that very annoying feature of sometimes not going off, but otherwise it's great. Protection from Magic Energy gives 100% protection against Skulltrap and with a Sorcerer in the party it's quite possible to give PfME to most of your party members.

4. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Jep, the skulltrap is great. As Earl Grey said you can easily protect yourself from Magic Energy. And I like the skull.

5. Arutha Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Skulltrap also has the big advantage of not being resisted by many monsters.
    Hey, my solo sorcerer even killed Demogorgo with skull traps, when most other spells were totally ineffective.

6. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

the real advantage of skulltrap is the unlimited damgage dice advance. fireball has a cap.

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

which is, after a thorough test, not unlimited. It has the same cap as fireball, but if I'm not mistaken half the damage is magic damage? That can be a huge advantage sometimes.

8. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

spell description says it isn't ... and there is no limit in iwd2 for example. sill, i like its smaller radius as it gives more tactical opportunities.

9. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

i'm sure skulltrap capped at 15d6 damage whereas fireball is capped atb10d6

10. diebysteel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Skulltrap is capped? Interesting, didn't know that.
    By the way tody it stands 8:9 for skulltrap

11. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The larger reason I like skulltrap is because I like to make sure I'm not snuck up on. Once I clear a route, I fire off one of those to protect our backs as we venture onwards. Same thing with delayed blast fireball, but that wasn't one of the choices in the poll.

12. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I retract my earlier statement. Skull Trap is capped at 20d6 unless you have the spell 50 mod. I was thinking if sunfire. silly me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.