1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poll: Favourite Fantasy novel author

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Sparhawk, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Sparhawk Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Personally my fave authors are R.A. Salvatore and David Eddings, what about the rest of you guys?

2. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Here is my top three:

3: Katherine Kerr
    2: R.A. Salvatore
    1: The late great one and only : J.R.R Tolkein.

And the worst?
    All i can say is:
    PHILIP ATHANS MUST DIE DIE DIE!!

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Understand that long books is the only way t go! Short stories are too short!

4. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

David Eddings, David Gemmel and R A Salvadore since i just finished reading the dark elf trilogy through to the spine of the world at work.
    And yes, Philip Athans is a terrible writer, who must be properly put to death for his works. Slowly, and so painfully. It is the only book i'm ashamed i bought.

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] Tolkien, who else ;)

6. 1.Tamora Pierce
    2.I'd have to say C.S. Lewis
    3.I'd probably say J.R.R. Tolkien.

7. Azirath Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

1. Tolkein
    2. Greenwood
    3. Pratchett

8. Magnus_G Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Honestly I have to say that I haven't read most of the authors you have posted but mine are:
    Tolkien
    C.S. Lewis
    Tie: Robert Jordan and George Martin

9. PowerPuff Guest

I suppose it would have to be Tolkien. I haven't read too many books in this genre, either. (I vaguely remember reading something of Hickman/Weiss, but the fact that I can't even remember the title kind of speaks for itself...)

10. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Category "serious":

1 J.R.R. Tolkien
    2 David Eddings
    3 Ed Greenwood

Category "not so serious":

1 Terry Pratchett
    2 C.S. Gardner
    3 Piers Anthony

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    1. Robert Jordan the best of them all.
    2. George RR Martin going up, damn these are good.
    3. Robin Hobb if you feel happy read this, you wont be happy afterwards.

12. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

1. Tolkien (like that has to even be
    mentioned)
    2. Stephen R. Donaldson (except the sci-fi stuff)
    3. C.S. Lewis (ah... back in the day)

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] 1. Tolkien / C.S. Lewis
    2. Terry Goodkind
    3. The Rest, in no Particular Order ...
    Terry Brooks, Robert Jordan, Weiss/Hickman, Ann McCaffry, Elizabeth Moon, Piers Anthoney (for his Blue Adept series & Xanth), David Duncan

14. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Never sure who to put first, but here goes:

1. Tolkien
    2. T.H. White/C.S. Lewis
    3. Connie Willis (SF more than Fantasy)
    4. Pratchett
    5. Feist
    6. Heinlein
    7. Julian May

Followed by a slew of others. The above are not really in any particular order (changes based on my mood :))

15. Creslyn Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I am not even going to try to put my favorite authors in any sort of order, its just too hard. Here they are - Tolkein, Terry Pratchett, Robert Jordan, David Gemmel, Terry Goodkind, Terry Brookes, David Eddings, Raymond Feist, L.E. Modesitt Jr., Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, Tad Williams, Isobelle Carmody, Melanie Rawn, Guy Gavriel Kay, Stephen Donaldson, Marion Zimmer Bradley, C.S. Lewis, Roger Zelazny, C.J. Cherryh, Julian May, Martin Middleton, (ARRGGGGHHH my fingers are going numb!) think I'd better stop, but the list just goes on and on :)

:EDIT: Oh and how could I forget George R.R. Martin and Katherine Kerr?!? umm...and Anne McCaffrey and L. Sprague De Camp and Michael Moorcock and (BAD fingers, stop typing NOW!! :D )

[This message has been edited by Creslyn (edited September 12, 2001).]

16. The Grim Ripper Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] poor mr J.R.R Toliken was my fave. Until he went to the great ring in the sky. who knows, his fantasy might come true up there...
    Terry Prattchet is cool too! I like Mort.

[This message has been edited by The Grim Ripper (edited September 12, 2001).]

17. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Raymond E. Feist beats all others hands down. I'd mention Michael Moorcock too, if I wouldn't be afraid of being flamed to death (oops, mentioned him).

18. Silverblade Guest

I only read the Tolkien books, and those are great. I would love too read more books from other writers, but the problem is I don't have enough time. So, my favourite writer is Tolkien.

19. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

My favorite auther is Dargorn

20. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

*Blushes*

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.