1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Favorite class?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by The Deviant Mage, Oct 21, 2000.

1. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] My personal favorite, so far, is the sorcerer. I can cast a spell I know as much as I need it(nearly), instead of trying to guess ahead of time what I'm going to need.

Any spell I decide not to learn I can cast from a scroll whenever I need it.

Top that! :p

2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Kensai. 'nuff said

3. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] i like the sorcerer a lot too.

4. Palpatine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

monk and sorcerer are both nice but swashbuckler rules.

nothing like dual wielding longswords wearing shadow dragon armor w/ 19 dex. i'm level 15 so i got -4 ac bonus from dex and -4 ac from kit add in earth elemental ring and my ac is -8 (-10 when i draw upon holy might ;)

shura: i played kensai first time through and i found his high ac a pain later in the game. he generally hung around the mages and fended off any one attacking them while minsc did the real fighting.

5. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Bah, my elf sorcerer resists sleep and charm spells because of his race, and his items make any offensive spell cast on him rebound back to the caster. As I mentioned on another thread, it works with dragon breath and other spells. Actually, my sorcerer ended up stunned while fighting a lich in the Underdark, the rest of the party dead or Horrored and Chaosed. Then the lich started to hammer away at my sorcerer...eventually my sorcerer came to, ressurected the rest of the party with a rod, and retrieved any loot possible from the lich.

I supposed this wasn't so much about the class as about my character in particular...oh well, I still prefer sorcerers. :cool:

6. Shura Gems: 25/31

Dual the Kensai to a mage and give him an archmage's robe.
    Mine had an AC of -8
    With the defensive spells of a mage, a kensai is one serious badass
    for even more AC bonuses, put 2 points in single weapon style

7. hooligan_inc Guest

Wizard Slayer. That's me for life. I don't need none of yer wussy magic items, yer tarts!

8. gwarps Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

MONK MONK MONK
    i'll say monk :)
    at lvl 21 and with my gear i have 70% magic resist, immune to normal weapons, poison, disease, i have -9 AC, and other small things to boot. i triple attack for upto 31 and when i get a crit WOW i've hit for 62.
    i do use mazzy as my main tank though, she has -16 AC so she tanks against big melee monsters like adamite golem. so i say MONK MONK MONK is the way to go :) you do still need others in your group too though.

9. Ganz Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm in the middle of my first game. I created a human Ranger (lev 7) and immediately dual him to a Cleric. Now he has both Cleric and Druid spells (such as summon insects to plague enemy spellcasters). I put two points in flail, two in slings and two in sword/shield skill. He is in the forefront of battle - sometimes I let the enemy rush to him and he is able to throw one or two slingshots before switching to the Flail of Ages. He is able to cast defensive spells before going into an especially difficult battle. In BG2 though, the cleric is not just defensive - he has offensive spells such as holy smite and cause serious wounds. I used holy smite against those pesky gauths which flock three or four in a group.
    I am intrigued by the Sorcerer; think I'll play that next. Or perhaps create a Kensai dual Mage.

10. TelexStar Gems: 6/31

Druid Shapeshifter - at lvl 13 you get to change into a greater werewolf

11. Wraith Blackthorne Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I have to stand by the ranger class. The extra attack per round coupled with the two handed weapon style is awesome. With an excellent hide in shadows I can sneak past a group of monsters, wait for my party to attack and then come from behind taking out any mages or archers. I suppose you could do just as well with the swashbuckler, but you get much better hit points with the ranger class.
    I am using the archer kit and love the "called shot"

12. The Wretched Gems: 6/31

[​IMG]
    I think Rangers are my favorite class overall, but if you're talking sheer power, then the Kensai dualed to a mage is perhaps unsurpassed.

I've beaten the game, and recently started a new party, with one of these Kensai/Mages as my main character. Let me tell ya, she rocks through anything put in her path, with the offensive power of a Kensai coupled with the defensive magics such as mirror image, stoneskin, and Protection from Normal/Magic weapons. When she gets enough levels for Contingency and Sequencer.... watch out, world!

13. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] My Kensai/Mage rocks too.

Still yet to find a Archmage robe and the spell Fireshield. They would make me a very happy little pixie indeed.

Anyone help?

14. Shura Gems: 25/31

There's an Archmage robe in Trademeet. It is sold in the northen shop. it's for good characters only. I don't know where the others are. Oh yeah, my Kensai mage took out all 8 vampires in the Windspear Dungeon singlehandedly. Bwahahaaha

15. What profs. do all your kensai/mages have, and what level did u dual them at?

16. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Yeah, I'm curious about the Kensai/Mage thing too. It sounds great, but you have to basically play a Mage from scratch for at least eight levels before you regain your Kensai abilities - that seems like an awful waste of time and potential. In the long run it pays off I guess, but is it that worth it?

I haven't really started playing yet - I've been building up portraits and voices (talk about a feeble selection with the game!) and trying to decide what I want to play - Kensai, Jester (I have a cool portrait), Monk, Sorcerer, Shapeshifter or Avenger (the brick wall at 14th level is a big deterrant), Barbarian, Blade, or Archer. (I can't believe 3rd edition D&D rules dropped the character kits. What idiots!) I started a female Elf Kensai to get a taste of the game, but I may stop and switch to something else.

I was really happy/surprised they included the Kensai. I've loved that class since "Oriental Adventures."

[This message has been edited by Neverworlder (edited October 24, 2000).]

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow Wraith - Similar name, similar style! I love my archer... In the unseeing eye quest, I was able to scout the best route for my party totally invisible to all those "eyes", and with my current bow, my THAC0 is -5. I like the called shot for tougher foes; used it on the shadow dragon with arrows of biting, though I think Yoshi's six traps did the most damage... That dragon dropped before I knew it!

18. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I dualed my Kensai straightaway, after the initial dungoen and the circus (easy exp) I was almost ready to use both classes....easy.I should point out that I started as a Kensai (Hit points and strength bonus made me decide that) and dualed to a Mage. very satisfying I can assure you.

Just have to find that Robe (where the hell is Trademeet?) and a scroll of fireshield and then I reckon it will be time to bring the bacon home to momma.

19. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Elven chainmail +1 makes the fighter/mage class very satisfying. With a nice grouping of waepons and ac modifiers(I LOVE zerkon's derth blade or whatever it is called dualed with another sword, they deal out nice damage with more spells), a fighter mage is a kick extra ass warrior. I'm happy with the ability to gain extra fighter experience as I level up, but what am I missing bu not dualing from some fighter class(Kensai, Wizard Slayer, etc).

20. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

A fighter/mage can wear ELVEN CHAIN MAIL??!!

Quick tell me where to get it!

<Me prances around in excitement>

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.