1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Favorite Character

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by ender, Mar 30, 2002.

1. ender Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Who is your favorite character in any book, fantasy, science fiction, or otherwise? My vote goes for Bean in Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon, Raistlin is good but I don't think he is as good as many say.

2. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Tasselhoff Burfoot all the way!!!:happy::happy::happy: (Did that sound lame or was it just me?)

[This message has been edited by Tasohan (edited March 30, 2002).]

3. C'Jakob Guest

In the FR series books, my favorite character is anyone who succeeds in killing off Drizzt or Elminster. ;) (Although the latter will probably get emphesyma or lung cancer from that eversmoking pipe of his.)

But seriously, I find it hard to get attached to a single character of a book; the plot and story are what gets me interested.

[This message has been edited by C'Jakob (edited March 30, 2002).]

4. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Vlad Taltos, from the series bearing his name.

Treated as inferior as a child, so now he kills people for money. Does so accompanied by a smartass winged lizard as long as his arm.

You can't beat that. :cool:

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I really like Bean from Enders Shadow too, that is one smart kid. But I wouldnt say that its my favourite of all time, its real hard to decide. As a WoT addict I really like Mat too, he is pretty cool.

6. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG] Wee, I can think of several...

Peter Wiggin :evil: (although he is getting terribly mellow in the new Shadow books), Commander His Grace Sir Samuel 'ole stoneface' Vimes, Mustrum Ridcully, Elijah Bailey (from Isaac Asimov's books), 'Le Noir Faineant' (from Ivanhoe), Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot etc.

7. ender Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

yeah, peter has been getting a little mellow. Why cant he go back to killing squirrels? That fit his character much better.

8. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

In Ender's game he was a complete psycho. I like the irony of it - Peter becoming the much-loved hegemon and Ender becoming a monster, a name that caused disgust and fear over the centuries.

9. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Will Parry from His Dark Materials series.

Others... Hmm. I do like Aragorn and Tanis from the Dragonlance series. So there you go...

10. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

John Clark from most of the Tomn Clancy novels. His nickname when he was a SEAL was "The Snake". The dude is just a bad ass.

Rhapsody from the book that bears her name by Elizabeth Haydon. I do not know what it is, but there is just something about a hot chick who carries a sword of fire.

11. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Some of my favorites ....

Garion (aka Belgarion) from David Eddings books
    Mat from The Wheel of Time
    Galahad from the Arthurian Legends
    Richard Rahl from The Sword of Truth

12. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    John Clark DOES rock, but he would get wasted by Vasili Taleniekov, There's another serpentile to you. (I know his code name was somewhat along the lines of Snake, but I've only read a translation of the Mataese Circle by RObert Ludlum...) or Sean Dillon (Gotta love the Irish charm....)

But seriously, the ultimate fave? That is a hard one. I think that the answer is Corran Horn, from the Star Wars Extended Universe, featured in the X-Wing series, I, Jedi and some other books, as well as NJO.
    He doesn't have a tragic childhood. He had a loving family. He was a cop, for all\s sake... So he's not the type of char I usually like. But somehow, this guy has me completely, utterly captivated. Perhaps it is because I started seriously exploring the Extended Universe thorough I, Jedi, which is a full-length novel told from his PoV, and, somehow, he simply has grown to me.
    Many people dislike him, and think that he is a Gary Stu (a male mary Sue, alka extension of the Author who is sunberbly brilliant) But I say he isn't. Corran isn't allmighty, he isn't infallinble (did I use the right word?) AND SURE AS HELL ISN"T INVINCIBLE! Oops, sorry about that. *looks meek*
    I am just so fed up that on theForce.Net boards 90 per cent of the populace keeps dissing him... sorry...
    Anyways, I like him because he is, no matter being a heroic pilot and a Jedi and all that, just a human being. He's married, he has kids, his father-in-law wants to kill him and all that. I just can't explain it better...

*end Rant Mode*

Ara
    (Being Snape-ishly Snappy todayy... Oh, look, I'm an Orc!)

13. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

need i say more than:

ook?

14. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn.

Strider, Gandalf, Tom Bombadil.

15. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Mat Cauthon (Wheel of Time)
    Strahd Von Zarovich (Ravenloft)
    Drizzt (okay, okay...:p)
    Artemis Entreri (FR)
    Jarlaxle (FR)
    Raistlin (Dragon Lance)
    Wolverine (The X-Men)
    Zhuge Liang (Romance of the Three Kingdoms)

[This message has been edited by eveningdrive (edited April 05, 2002).]

16. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Probably Talon Karrde from deveral SW books. :)
    Corran Horn is col, but the way that he and the rest of Rogue Squadron always say how they beat the invincible kind of annoys me... :)

Also, Silk from the Dabid Eddings books.

17. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    No no no no, they never say anything about breating the invincible. Instead, quoting Corran in I, Jedi, "Impossible is their stock in trade"

Yeah, Silk rocks :)

Ara
    (Borderline rabid fangirl of the odd kind)

18. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Sam Gamgee (LOTR)
    Aragorn (LOTR)
    Gimli (LOTR)
    Drizzt (FR) [I know I know, but he kicks @$$]
    Bruenor Battlehammer (FR)
    Tanis (DL)
    Raistlin and Caramon (DL)
    Tas Burrfoot (DL)
    Corran Horn (Star Wars: Rogue Squadron)
    Wedge Antilles (Star Wars movies and novels)

And the dwarven hero I made up for games and the stories I'm soon gonna write, Faerus Stoneslammer.

19. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] This may sound silly, but in accordance to personality I would have to say the Evil Magician Trent from "A Spell For Chameleon"

He has an amazing way with words.

20. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

John Clark! Booyah!
    Garet Jax from "Wishsong of Shannara".
    Felix from "Armor".
    Rukh from Zahn's SW trilogy.
    Jimmy the Hand from the Rift War Saga.
    Lerris from "Magic of Recluce".
    Noober from BG. Oops...wait a sec...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.