1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Enough with cheese already!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Kitrax, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Is it just me or has the "cheese" related topics been poping out of the woodwork so to speak.

If you think it's cheesy, then: don't do it, don't use it, don't cast it, don't even think about it and you won't have to worry about being a cheesy player! :grr:

Your thoughts? :rolling:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 38 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Enough with cheese already! (38 votes.)

Are you sick of cheese yet? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! Please make it stop! - 61% (23)
    * No! I must have everyone's opinions about how I play! - 26% (10)
    * Just the results for me. - 13% (5)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It is interesting to get other people's opinions as sometimes they change your outlook and things and make you think:

"Hey, maybe I won't do that anymore as I now realise it doesn't make sense from a role-playing point of view. This will enhance my overall experience."

3. Kitrax

Media:
    That's one way of looking at it...

But if roleplaying is the only thing you're worried about, then all you need to do is step back and look at what you are/are about to do and say to yourself, "Does this make sense for my character to be doing?" :rolling:

4. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I agree with HB. Sometimes an outside veiw will shed some light on a particular quandry.

And it is interesting to hear others opinions on such.

5. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I've had enough of this cheesy topics already. If you think something is cheese, then dont use it. To be perfectly honest, if you want it to be challenging, just increase the difficulty, stop coming around and asking if the most basic game tactics are cheesy. I'm dreading the moment when someone posts: Magic: is it cheesy?

6. Kitrax

Media:
    /me hugs Takara in a heterosexual kind of way

Thank you!

As 'Turnip boy' said, if you find it cheesy, slide the dificulty up all the way, then install some mods...and after that, try it! :rolling:

[ October 14, 2004, 08:38: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, this recent flurry of cheese topics isn't the first time they have come up on these boards. So considering that, I've had enough cheese debates. I'll still scan through them to check for any new ideas though.

But it was an intriguing idea at first, so I don't fault people for continuing to bring them up. The first time I had a taste of cheese, I thought "you can DO that?! I should give it a try!"

8. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    But the truely annoying thing about it, is that it has been done to death already. Someone doesnt have to start another thread, and annoy everyone. They can just use the search button at the top, and check out cheese posts. Tal didnt add that function for pure decoration.

That way, they can get all their cheese questions answered, without having to clutter up the boards with yet ANOTHER damned topic, that is identical to one only made a few weeks ago!

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Is magic cheesy? I mean, how could my mage know to prepare ahead with all those spells?

(sorry Takara)

An outside opinion is helpful. Sometimes you might have a feeling that something COULD be wrong but you aren't sure. So you ask the board (or bored) members who in their infiniate D&D wisdom can tell you if something should or should not be done.

10. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

And who dictates what is right and what is not when playing a game? Some hardcore player who thinks that the game is only challenging when playing a solo barbarian halfling with 10 in all stats, without weapons or armour, with Tactics installed? :p

This is no PnP, there is no DM in BG. If you like playing the game in a way, and the game allows it, why should you play it the way others say, regardless whether it follows D&D rules or not? That same person that tells you that using the amulet of mind control is cheesy, may very well not find anything wrong with equipping his/her mage with Edwin's amulet of extra spells via SK.

The Robe of Vecna, the Staff of the Magi, the amulets of mind control, Balduran's Shield, Blackrazor... they are all provided by the game and yet people think that using them is cheesy. Why shouldn't they be used if you want to, and are there to be used?

I am with Kitrax on this: if you are not feeling comfortable using or doing something in the game, then don't use or do it. We all have our own moral and ethical code, so heed yours! If you feel like cheating when winning a battle in a particular way, then try using other tactics until you feel better.

11. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If we used the "never start a new thread on an issue that's been discussed before," posting on BoM would drop by 90%.

Some of this discussion seems to be part of the old RPer vs Powergamer debate. The RPers might want to cut out certain options allowed by the game engine which they find detract from the game, while the Powergamers might want to talk about how they can solo Insane Tactics by taking advantage of every bit of legal cheese they can.

If you're tired of cheese threads, don't read them.

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I had a great comment lined up, and then I read Bion's post which says essentially the same thing:
    Don't forget, there are new people joining the Boards all the time, and for them, these types of discussions are new, fresh and interesting. If you don't feel the same way, then simply ignore the topic; as far as I know, there's no Board rule which requires you to read each and every thread if you don't want to.

I also agree with Harbourboy's comment about getting new perspectives on things.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You could always simply choose not to respond to the topic if you don't like it - that to me seems like the simplest and most obvious solution.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Exactly. It's not like anyone's forcing you to read them, let alone respond to them.

15. Kitrax

Media:
    I know, I'm just getting sick of seeing threads that are, "Is this cheesy?", "Is that cheesy?", "Is my character cheesy?", "Am I cheesy?", "Lets argue about Cheese", "I want to do this and that, but I'm afraid it might be cheesy"...You know where I'm going with this... :bang: :rolling:

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

[​IMG] :Kitrax: Aye...but its heaps of fun trying to give your opinions out, and sometimes result in interesting conversations!!

Besides...they're a great way to increase your post counts!!

:hahaerr: I'm going to pretend Tal didn't read that... :hahaerr:

17. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Which is better:

-- A forum with active topics, or
    -- A forum with dead topics?

18. Kitrax

Media:
    @Faraaz, exactly, and that's what the Random Babbling thread is for...

@Wirhe: -- A forum with BETTER topics! :rolling:

19. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I enjoy the majority of the threads including some of the cheese ones, BUT, some of those cheese threads go on forever and they get off the subject. Ah but what do I know. Gonna be in Salt Lake City this weekend Kitrax for a hockey tourney.

20. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

*BLEEB!* Answer is not in the list. Please try again, contact system administrator or change to Linux. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.