1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Elaine Cunningham vs. R.A. Salvatore.

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Which is the better author, and why?

I think I like R.A. Salvatore slightly better simply because his battle scene descriptions are unbeatable, in my opinion anyway. Cunningham is also a very good writer though. Right now I just finished one of her books: Daughter of the Drow.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 16 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Elaine Cunningham vs. R.A. Salvatore. (16 votes.)

Elaine Cunningham vs. R.A. Salvatore. (Choose 1)
    * I like Cunningham better. - 38% (6)
    * I like Salvatore better. - 44% (7)
    * No Preference/not sure/ both the same... - 19% (3)

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Cunningham is a better writer. One of the very few FR authors I'd read if they did stuff outside the FR....which she hasn't, 'cept for that star wars book and an elfquest book. Sure, she doesn't do battles as well as Salvatore, but Salvatore doesn't do anything aside from battles very well.

A pity, really.

Salvatore...short on substance, long on style and entertaining action scenes.

3. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, I agree. I enjoy Cunningham's books, but Salvatore's are a step up, I think. His characters are more memorable for me and his battle descriptions are superb. Though it's really a tough call.

4. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

This vote was a kincher... Both are among the, if not the best IMO, writers of the Forgotten Realms. Yet, while R.A. Salvatore has outstanding battles, and memorable characters, i tend to find that they slow down now and again. His fights are becoming more of the same as his novels continue to come out. Also, i find that he's straying too far from the characters which we all love. Its never good when a person finds him/herself flipping the pages of a chapter with char X in it to see how far it is to the next one that has Drizzt.

Cunningham, however, gets my vote for her great characters, and for her sheer wit. A scene with Danilo's singing sword comes to mind. This simple song is one of the causes to vote for her:

There was a knight who longed to wield
    A more impressive lance
    To carry into battle
    And to aid him in romance.

Hey, there! Ho, there!
    A lessons here for you:
    Be careful what you ask for,
    For your wishes might come true.

A wizard overheard the knight
    And granted his request.
    The knight at first was overjoyed
    To see how he was blessed.

The knight went to a party
    With his weapon thus enhanced.
    The lance made dining difficult
    And tripped him when he danced.

The next day at the tournament,
    He won the jousting meets,
    For all who faced his fearsome lance
    fell laughing from their seats.

*chorus

(Elfsong, pg 209-212)

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I say it is a tie. Both have great moments and not so great moments. Judging just by Cunninghams first two Liriel novels I would say her but the third one was not all that good.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Cunningham definitely. But I have to say that Salvatore's Lone Drow was excellent.

@joacquin
    Her work on the Counselors and Kings series was better than Starlights and Shadows imo. I also read the first 2 of the latter but didn't bother to pick up the 3rd as I didn't hear very good things about it.

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Cunningham.

Even if I still adore some of Salvatore's characters, Salvatore's writing is not that good. Believe me, I am willing to say that Vector Prime is one of the worst SW books I've ever read, as opposed to "Dark journey" which ranks amongst thebest.

Salvatore's original work isn''t that great, imho, and I don't have any of Cunningham's originals to compare... but like Celesialraven says, the wit is fabulous.

Elaith. Danilo. Snark. ROTFLMAO. :D

8. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

RA Salvatore.

That new series is just tops, I loved the Lone Drow, it was just great. Cunningham's characters and story, as previously mentioned, were not as memorable.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    One thing which really puts the nail in Salvatore's coffin for me is the abysmal original work he has written. The first or even the first two books were decent but then it just got worse and worse until it was really really really *really* bad.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I think Homeland and Lone Drow are his best

11. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I found Salvatore's books very entertaining to read, but then again. Until now, I've only read Salvatore (10 books), Drew Karpyshyn (1) & Mel Odom (1). So I can't really compare. Salvatore's books continue the previous story and that's what makes it interesting. Odom's was pretty good too but I can't truly appreciate the characters yet.

12. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I vote Salvatore, his first trilogy was excellent, his dark elf triliogy was excellent, and his latest trilogy so far has been excellent. I do agree on one thing though, many of his middle books have lost there edge. Boring and mudane at a lot of points. HIs battle scenes are phenomenal but those are even beginnig to dwindle a bit. Cunningham is a great writer as well but I just enjoyed Salvatore more.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.