1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Do you want to LIVE on the Sword Coast?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Cal Yhringlor, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

A strange mage was knocking at your door, and propose to Plane Shift YOU in the Baldur's Gate 1 world, in Beregost ... with 800 gold pieces, AND a Gift of First Level Power in the class of your choice ! ... — but no possible return on Terra before seven ( 7 ! ) years —. Then :

1) What will be your reply to the mage ?
    [ 9 answers available to choose ].

2) Same question, but if YOUR physical sufferings were removed ?
    [ 8 answers left ].

• NOTE : A special gift is added for persons who are too sad to leave their families behind :
    YOU live 7 years in Sword Coast, while only ONE MINUTE has elapsed for those staying on earth.

[ November 11, 2006, 13:25: Message edited by: Cal Yhringlor ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 56 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Do you want LIVE in Sword Coast ? (56 votes.)

What will be your reply to the mage ? (Choose 1)
    * Enthusiastic : << — Ah ! Is it true ? Sweet bliss !!! My dream ! Be honest : you dont ask for my soul in exchange ?!? >> :lol: - 18% (10)
    * Happy : << — Well ... I suppose it's the kind of opportunity that it is NOT to missed ... And : no more pollution, no more sleepless nights with computers ... And perhaps use of real magic ! I say : YES ! >> :cool: - 29% (16)
    * Succumbing : << — Yes ! You are satisfied ? YES ! There will be a hard lesson to me, I am near-sure of that ... But by the way, i am always dreaming to test the cookery of Feldpost Inn. You win >> :) - 7% (4)
    * Neutral-Type Answer : << — Worlds change, problems change also, but problems always remain. You tempt me, but ... I do NOT know WHAT reply to your proposition ! Come back to-morrow, i am confused ... >> :confused: - 11% (6)
    * Wizard-like Neutral-Type Answer : << — Happiness and unhappiness dont rely on surroundings, but on MY state of CONSCIOUSNESS ! Then explain, mage : what is YOUR advantage to propose me a new world ?! >> :hmm: - 4% (2)
    * Specialized or Bipolar Neutral-Type Answer : << — If CHARM PERSON really seduces girls, it's YES ; if that create problems with the supra-idiot guys of Flaming Fist, it's NO ! >> :o - 4% (2)
    * Ethical Negative Reply : << — Very kind to you to make that proposition to me ! But it's ONE THING to kill alive creatures on a screen ; and OTHER THING is to be a predatory butcher, in fact a real criminal : taking lives of kobolds and ogres, of whom the only fault is to be born "kobolds" and "ogres" ! I have little money but i woudn't take to others a gold stained with blood. But, pity, because i really love adventures. Sigh. >> :sosad: - 11% (6)
    * Heavy Negative Reply : << — No. It's NO. Are you silly ? I dont want to see the eight eyes of a giant spider at three feet of mine ! Are you REALLY think of WHAT REALLY it is, a one-yard high spider ?! Be off, now, stupid mage, search for other victims ! >> :almostmad: - 13% (7)
    * Fully Hostile Reply : << — What's wrong with you ? Healing potions or not, ask to a soldier if it's pleasant to burn other lifes with a flame-thrower, or, inversely, to be the prey of flames ! A standard FIREBALL do, at least, the same horror or worse !!! Are you nuts ?! Are you son of a devil ? Come back in YOUR insane world, insane creature !!! >> :flaming: - 5% (3)

Idem, but if YOUR physical sufferings were removed ? (Choose 1)
    * Enthusiastic : << — Ah ! Is it true ? Sweet bliss !!! My dream ! Be honest : you dont ask for my soul in exchange ?!? >> :lol: - 27% (15)
    * Happy : << — Well ... I suppose it's the kind of opportunity that it is NOT to missed ... And : no more pollution, no more sleepless nights with computers ... And perhaps use of real magic ! I say : YES ! >> :cool: - 25% (14)
    * Succumbing : << — Yes ! You are satisfied ? YES ! There will be a hard lesson to me, I am near-sure of that ... But by the way, i am always dreaming to test the cookery of Feldpost Inn. You win >> :) - 5% (3)
    * Neutral-Type Answer : << — Worlds change, problems change also, but problems always remain. You tempt me, but ... I do NOT know WHAT reply to your proposition ! Come back to-morrow, i am confused ... >> :confused: - 9% (5)
    * Wizard-like Neutral-Type Answer : << — Happiness and unhappiness dont rely on surroundings, but on MY state of CONSCIOUSNESS ! Then explain, mage : what is YOUR advantage to propose me a new world ?! >> :hmm: - 7% (4)
    * Specialized or Bipolar Neutral-Type Answer : << — If CHARM PERSON really seduces girls, it's YES ; if that create problems with the supra-idiot guys of Flaming Fist, it's NO ! >> :o - 5% (3)
    * Ethical Negative Reply : << — Very kind to you to make that proposition to me ! But it's ONE THING to kill alive creatures on a screen ; and OTHER THING is to be a predatory butcher, in fact a real criminal : taking lives of kobolds and ogres, of whom the only fault is to be born "kobolds" and "ogres" ! I have little money but i woudn't take to others a gold stained with blood. But, pity, because i really love adventures. Sigh. >> :sosad: - 11% (6)
    * Heavy Negative Reply : << — No. It's NO. Are you silly ? I dont want to see the eight eyes of a giant spider at three feet of mine ! Are you REALLY think of WHAT REALLY it is, a one-yard high spider ?! Be off, now, stupid mage, search for other victims ! >> :almostmad: - 11% (6)

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Intresting question. Hmmh... well, I would certainly be fascinated by the possibility, but also concerned about what would happen in this world. Say, some of my friends dies, and I can't even arrive at his funeral...
    Well, perhaps I still would, more so if I couldn't be hurt. So, if I could get over the fact I wouldn't know what was happening in this world, I would go. Perhaps leave a note to my close ones that I left to someplace else, and I would be ok.

Perhaps, just perhaps...

3. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    It would be nice to learn magic and all, but my family's here and I wouldn't want to leave them!
    Not taking my ma/pa/friends/other family with me!

Actually, humm... my brother would surely leave too (imagine that, two dwarf rangers, :) me goodlooking&intelligent, other wise&strong).

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Not for me. Not unless my level one skills include Power Word: Reload.

5. Trellheim Gems: 22/31

Media:
    :D The magical reload would surely help! :D :D :D

Made me think of other stuff also:
    1.How do I know when I level up?
    2.Raise Dead... :eek:
    3.If I sleep normally 9-11 hours, am I supposed to sleep there 'only' 8?
    4.There would really be a troll under my bed

6. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] — Yes, Harbourboy, YOU receive the Power Word, Reload that you want, (since YOU are asking for, and it's BG world ! ...), but if you die, you FULLY remember your last attempt, and failure, and death ... :mommy:

... If, for example, in the prime times, you are devoured by a happy party of RED vampiric WOLVES, you remember that ; if your remains are the happy breakfast of a team of cleanness-loving BLACK RAVENS, you ...

... no. Forget that !
    Bad example.
    That example is not for you. :o

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

A tempting offer, to be sure, but living in the world of BG means no football, no electricity, no plumbing, etc. Not to mention that it would suddenly become the ONLY game you could ever play. While that's hardly torture, even the longest lasting of us would surely become bored eventually.

8. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    7 years that's not so long, count me in! :D

Sure being able to take one's friends along would help. But the idea is so enticing.
    What if these were virtual years, meaning the real world didn't change while you're gone?

9. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Hmmm.... what if Cal Yhringlor IS that strange mage, and if you vote yes, well then goodbye Terra?

Oh wait.. I did. Ehh... see you in seven years guys... *whimper*

:aww:

10. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

• # 1) Yes, Trellheim, you know exactly when you level up ... exactly as in BG ! You suddenly understand a better position of the hand on your bow, or the you abruptly decipher the spell which made your head heavy for the 3 last days !
    • # 2) Raise Dead cause you NO problems, other to have again a stupid heavy physical body ( cry against your fellows ). But perhaps that you were thinking Animate Dead ?
    • # 3) Your friends throw fresh river water on your face.
    • # 4) No troll under your bed. HE had already killed YOU ou YOU had already burned HIM !
    :)

• # a) no football : more time to charm inn maids (or sexy gold-haired she-adventurers as Branwen, for exemple) : a good point !
    [ you can learn football to gnolls if you are really brutish, but you are a more noble type : "félinoïde" ! (free word of french for you ...) ]
    • # b) no electricity : torch-light for love, AD&D Continual Lights for your house : a other good point !`
    • # c) forget plumbing, and find a Decanter of Endless Water. Your next quest.
    • # d) you will NOT think about games in a real BG universe, ( too much new things to see and learn — for the seven years indicated, at least ). [ And cards are available in inns if you want ... ]
    ;)

[ October 20, 2006, 11:16: Message edited by: Cal Yhringlor ]

11. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Easy enough to invent football and electricity (harder to produce items that actually use electricity though).
    They've got sewers, so plumbing isn't a huge extra step. (Couple of gollums to pump water up a water tower if you can't build the electrical pump.

12. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

@Carcaroth you'd use steam power first before developing electricty

I'd be happy to go, I need a new challenge although I'm curious about the gift of power, does that mean you start at level 2?

If the physical sufferings were removed too right I'd be there

And chosen class? Cleric/Ranger thank you

13. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Resting in 8 hour block only would kill me. I need at least 10 hours to feel good.

14. Ironhawk Skylord

I think that omnious voice from heaven who says "You must gather your party.." would drive me insane :p

15. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

To Caradhras :

No, Caradhas, NO "time stop" when you are gone. There is not a game ! There is no more game-ratios. It is REALLY live SEVEN YEARS in Sword Coast. When (if !) you return Terra, SEVEN YEARS were elapsed ! The outflow of time is the same, because the mind of humans of Terra has imagined BG world. :D

To Ironhawk Skylord

I shall make a more specific reply just for YOU, but a bit more later ... ;)
    [ Note : What is : " * wimper * " in english ? ]

To Carcaroth

NO care to CREATE plumbing, because it exist ALREADY in Sword Coast. Felinoid has perhaps forgotten that there is graphics of BOTH lavatories AND bath-tubs in near-ALL of the bath-rooms of houses of Beregost, BG, Nashkel, etc ! ... :p
    Fresh water is never far in Sword Coast :
    no need of slaves pumping, a slight magic on-pressure in pipes IS sufficient ! :)

To DarkStrider

Dear DarkStrider, as you know if you see the steam-grapes-press of Durlag Tower or/and Hall of Wonders of BG city, steam ALREADY exist, but is not of much use.
    Electricity also exist, but is only a toy for mages ! :whoa: :eek:
    ( Magic is a practice and inexaustible energy for the RARE big uses necessitated. )

• For the Level of your start in Beregost :
    No, DarkStrider, you begin with O x.p., normal since you have NO experience of the life in BG world ! The Gift is only to avoid you to start ZERO LEVEL. ( In fact, the mage shifting you to Sword Coast MUTE your on-Terra's psychologic maturity in one level of energy. But you dont have use of know that, i suppose ).
    You are greedy, my dear DarkStrider ! :lol:

16. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I especialy liked the premise of the second question. If I could be any race and be a multi-class that woul be too sweet! The only thing that could make that better is if you added the spells from 2e rules to the game spell list. The first thing I would do is kill those spiders in the house in Beregost and then let the game begin.

Finally Shar-Teel and I can be together! :love:

17. Ironhawk Skylord

Shar-Teel? I am going after Viconia! Now thats a hottie. :D

I don't think we would be very compatible though...

I come from a small flat country, and seeing all that beautiful nature on the Sword Coast would make me want to be a druid :)

Would be practical also. I can treat myself from Armor Chafe and that nasty Calim****e Itch I got when frolicking in the wrong bush.... Druids do have that nice Aloe Vera Balm.

18. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

— Yes, Bassil, all AD&D 2nd edition are known and used in the REAL Sword Coast world. Even Light / Darkness spells. Even cantrips 0 level spells !
    — But, NO, you cannot be a multiclassed character, since YOU are human ; you have not yet understood that. It is YOU, the character ! :rolleyes:

YOU, YOUR height, YOUR weight, YOUR abilities, real strenght, real intelligence, real wisdom.
    There is a trap, here : if, for example, you want be a cleric and you HAVE a low wisdom ..., then, ..., YOU SHALL HAVE a spell failure percentage ! :) :hahaerr:

For Shar-Teel, heu ... Remember she is in a bad place (basilisks), and that she is a fierce fighter.
    You shall have to wait to be more powerful before trying to seduce her.
    Also, heu ... :o ... I dont know how tell you that ...
    But i advice you to have, you or a friend, a Cure Disease spell for advance use before love.
    There are NO antibiotics in BG world, and, ... Hmm ... :wail: She is suffering of the same Venusian trouble that Mistress Mallory in the north of the Coast.
    Sheer up ! YOU are a hero :)

19. Trellheim Gems: 22/31

Media:
    Nope, raise dead ( I know my spells ;) ). Think about it, you're dead, there's a sword in your belly and you're glad you've kicked the bucket, finally. Then somebody comes, calls you back from heaven/hell and closes those wounds, takes out all the poison, puts your bones back together, makes you feel the same pain again. You've seen where you're going, it's gonna be pain after you've crossed the line. Is life worth that? Would you thank or curse the one that brought you back from oblivion?

20. Ironhawk Skylord

Hmmmm... Sword Coast probably keeps me for good.

I am afraid they lock me up in an insane asylum. :(

I can imagine the wardens conversation:

Warden 1: "So what that new guy in for?"

Warden 2: "Well he keeps firing spells up in the sky and shouting shut up with your ¤%&/#! you must gather your party before venturing forth!"

Warden 1: "Sounds weird"

Warden 2: "Yes, and he keeps saying he can't complete a quest because CD2 is missing"

Warden 1: "Thats a new one."

Warden 2: "Yeah. And he never sleeps. He says that a voice from heaven says he can't rest because his party is scattered."

Warden 1: "Poor soul. We can do nothing for him. Okay better lock him up."

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.