1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Do you think Bush should be replaced in the next election

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Mystra's Chosen, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

As per the title

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 54 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Do you think Bush should be replaced in the next election (54 votes.)

Do you think Bush should be replaced in the next election (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 76% (41)
    * No - 24% (13)

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Fingers, toes, arms, and legs crossed.

Should he be? Absolutely. Will he be? I'm scared to admit that I highly doubt it.

3. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yes. The bigger question is who. On another site I visit they're going to have a betting pool on who will win (Bush vs. someone else) with the "winnings" going to Doctors Without Borders. A fun way of increasing interest early in the stage.

4. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Good God, yes.

The man is a retard, for crying out loud. And not only that, he's a retard who commands the biggest military machine on earth. He can't even string together words to form one (count'em: 1) coherent sentence without reading it off a teleprompter. His PR people must be wetting themselves with fear every time the man is near a TV-camera without a script in front of him.

The only problem is: what will Jay Leno, David Letterman and all the others do for material when Dubya is gone? They'll have to go back to making things up, instead of having it handed it to them on a silver platter day after day... :D

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I don't think anyone better will come up to the plate. That doesn't mean he's a genius, just that he's about what we get these days, politician wise -- and it's not just the US!

I don't think that, fundamentally speaking, Gore would have done things very much differently than Dubya. I say, better the devil you know . . .

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I notice a few people so far have said "no." I'd like to hear why.

7. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I voted for yes, but I would like to add that the yes stems only from my disdain about external politics. Since I am clueless about internal politics in the USA I don't feel like I should judge anyone or anybody in that department.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Should he be? Hell yes! Will he be? Probably not. (Whimper.)

The Democrats had better pony up a strong centrist candidate that isn't anti-military and isn't too far in the big government side of things or they will lose badly.

9. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It's not going to happen. too many Americans consider him to be a hero. it saddens me to say this however, most people in the U.S. have no idea how or why their government works (or dosen't work) and don't want to. as long as they have someone to cheer, or jeer as the case may be, they're happy.

I personaly could care less. as always i'll try to choose the lesser of two evils.

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Ooooooooo yes, Shrub is the worst we've had in a long time; maybe since Jimmy Carter. I don't agree that someone in the center would be best. I think Howard Dean has the best shot, because he is a study in contrast to Shrub. Those who like Shrub will not change their vote for someone who is only somewhere in between. The conventional wisdom is that someone who is plain vanilla has the best chance. I just don't agree. That is the sure way to keep Bush. I don't think Nader will run this time, so Dean will get my vote unless he turns into something unexpected, like Satan.

11. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The poll results are pret' lopsided - because of the way the poll is constructed. A much better question to ask is, "Do you think Bush should be replaced by [specific candidate]?". The problem with an open-ended poll question like this is that everyone fantasizes about their ideal replacement, and sets that candidate against Bush. Dean? Sharpton? Kerry? They all get lumped together in a poll like this, amplifying their collective strength and blanketing their individual weaknesses. But come November 2004, a single opposition candidate will emerge, a mess of the contradictions and compromises necessary to win both the primary and election.

I think a half-year from now, when the Democratic candidate has been firmly decided, we can run this poll again - and we'll see how many people think then that Bush should be replaced by Candidate X, whose vulnerabilities will be on full display.

12. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

(sorry for earlier .. grump comments ... apologies all around ... but still don't like comments like:)

I am very thankful that we have Bush in the White House for the past years, and not the Clinton administration (who let Bin Laden go many times, and who tried terrorists as criminals instead of combatants so that we could not use the Grand Jury testimony).

I could go on a longer rant, but it would open a can of worms I don't have the time to tie together.

So, in short, NO, I hope he stays.

[ September 12, 2003, 16:15: Message edited by: Mathetais ]

13. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I have my centrist-type biases, which will inform this opinion.

Personally, I hope George of the Jungle (has anybody seen that hilarious e-mail?) is on for another term. The reason involves long-term considerations. The longer he stays on, the more and more I hope he'll embarass the hell out of the Republicans in the eyes of the American public. I can only hope and wish (sigh). Then the way will be paved for a decent and reasonable Democrat candidate to keep the Republicans out of the White House for years to come.

We've had this phenomena occur in Canada. The PCs had a prime minister named Brian Mulroney in power for 8 years. I don't recall any PM who was so blatantly pompous and arrogant as that S.O.B. Corruption is sadly a given in politics. But good ol' Brian took it to a whole new level, for Canadians that is. Then there was all that big talking about amending our constitution. But it was so artificial that everybody in Canada knew that it was pure posturing on Mulroney's part. It ended up making a joke out of something that's supposed to be very serious, a constitution.

It paved the way for the Liberals to take over Parliament for the next 12 years. By now, people have gotten tired of Jean Chretien. But all that means is that he has to make room for another Liberal on the rise, Paul Martin. The PCs are effectively a non-entity thanks to Mulroney. So much so that they seriously consider merging with the Canadian Alliance, who as far as right-wingers are concerned, are easily a match for any Republican.

Yes, George Bush is a clown, and a clown who's president only because the Republicans were able to cash in on the elder Bush's fame. But is he a clown who's actually running the U.S.? I highly doubt it. As far as I can tell, it was Donald Rumsfeld who was in charge of the Iraq war. Despite his occassional media slip, my gut tells me the man is made out of steel, and as smart as they come. Oh well. Go Bush, for 4 more years, and embarrass your party mates some more.

14. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

@Chandros

I think the worst president in history was probably Johnson. He kept the Vietnam war going for years, then Nixon pulled the US troops but kept paying Laos to fight the VC's.

@Beren

I totally agree with you about Mulroney. He's the one that started our 900 billion debt. Trudeau was the one that really began it, but Brian made an ass out of the country. I don't like Jean either because he's not doing anything about the debt, or giving us any hope for the next 500 years (which is how long it'll take us to pay 900 billion :rolleyes: ). I hope Layton doesn't get in and I hope Martin doesn't get in. The one I want? Only Superman could get my vote. The least frustrating choice to me is Harper. Who knows.

15. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Not at all. We may be the most right-wing party in Canada but we're more left-wing by American standards than the Democrats as we are absolutely in favour of keeping universally available health care and we don't have any interest in reducing taxes as low as the Americans. We'd just be happy to get total taxation for the average Canadian under 50%. :nolike:

Unfortunately, because we are now the Official Opposition party, a lot of our policies are dictated for us - whatever the Liberals do, we have to take the opposite position regardless of our feelings, a bit like a defence attorney with a rapist for a client. I think that's the reason Stephen Harper is so gung-ho to send Canadian troops to Iraq and opposing gay marriage. Five years ago, Stephen Harper was totally in favour of gay marriage and he was more active within libertarian groups than with the authoritarian branch of right-wingness, it's just his present position as Leader of the Opposition causing him to take this stand against the Liberal party's sudden burst of actual liberalism. Well, that's my take anyway. I've sent him a very nasty note complaining about his reversals of position.

I don't have an opinion on Bush. I'd like to see his neocon advisors take a long walk on a short plank though.

16. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If not him, then who?

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, Johnson was a little before my time, but the thing about Carter was that he lacked competence. That seems to be Bush's biggest shortcoming, IMHO. Other than that, I thought that Carter was a pretty decent guy. My humble assessment of presidents was only in recent years. The all-time worst Prez on my list is Calvin Coolidge: The most know-nothing-do-nothing prez in our history.

But Johnson was also known for his "Great Society" programs. I agree with the tenor of this kind of social approach to government, although most of the programs had mixed results because of execution.

By the way, Mystra, it is Chandos. I'm sure the real Sir John Chandos would want you to know. ;)

http://www.nipissingu.ca/department/history/muhlberger/froissart/chandos2.htm

[ September 17, 2003, 04:26: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

18. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

two things...

a) I bet I'm younger than you, as I don't remember Carter when he was in.

b) Sorry I goofed on your name. I read "The Death of Sir Chandos" and "How Sir John Chandos
    rescued the Earl of Pembroke". Frankly, I'm surprised you want to be known after someone who tripped on his robe and fell on a lance, no matter how hardy or valiant or courteous he was.

[ September 17, 2003, 05:17: Message edited by: Mystra's Chosen ]

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Mystra - Yes, I remember both Carter and Reagan. The frist election I was old enough to vote was Reagan/Mondale. Some choice. But the hits just keep coming.

And you worry too much over little details. Chill out!

20. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.