1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Do You Read Before You Write?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Nobleman, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Lately I have pondered a lot on wether or not people read, or may I be so bold to say, try and understand what other people write in the threads. Although it is funny to read at times, I don't see how productive it is. :shake:

I would say most people do their best. But how many?
    Be honest, here. :1eye:

PS. Have a whopping X-mas and a fabulous New Year.
    See you in 2003. I'll miss you crazy posters. :)

[ December 20, 2002, 17:48: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 69 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Do You Read Before You Write? (69 votes.)

Do You Read Before You Write? (Choose 1)
    * I always read everything and try and understand it all. - 30% (21)
    * I do my best to read and understand most posts in the thread. - 49% (34)
    * So and So. I read the comments from people that interest me. - 14% (10)
    * I take a brief look at the general statements in the thread - 4% (3)
    * I read the Toppic, and at times the first post. Isn't that enough? - 1% (1)

2. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

With a gazillion answers, it's unfair to demand that each and every poster reads every little reply there is.

This is especially true in larher discussion forums where 50% of the messages at LEAST are completely unessential.

I read as much as I feel needed. Then I answer, if needed. If the topic is a question which doesn't really require information of what others have said, then I might easily skip them. If it's something that advices for discussion over something, then it's pretty stupid to go and say something another has already pointed out. Or worse, already proven wrong.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] If nothing else, everyone should at least glance at most previous replies to see if a moderator/admin posted something, so that stupid blunders like 8people's in the locked topic in Whatnots don't happen.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Tal ... my first locked topic ... all because of 8people! Argh!

I usually read most of the topic. Sometimes I'll skim, especially in the long topics (like the ones I start ;) )

Don't ban me .. i'm just a little lazy

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Once I read through 48 pages of a forum to bring Baldur's Gate to the big screen. :eek:

Took me two days but it was worth it.

Probably not going to do that again though but I try to do my best :)

6. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I am the only person who reads all posts before adding to a thread?! Boy does THAT explain a lot. I can't say how many times I've wanted to ask if someone had even read something they were responding to. Now I guess I know the answer. :rolleyes: Of course, if 1 person = 6%, we could use a larger statistical sampling. I'll be watching this poll's results with interest.

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

In long threads, I don't read everything. Especially if there are long replies in long threads; those I skip more often than not.

Polls I don't read anything until after I vote. Otherwise I read everything.

I think at the very least, the first post should be read. Then if you want to reply, you can skim through to see if anyone took your idea already.

8. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Hmm...
    Number two, just like most (72%) others. :p

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

when i voted i found out that nobleman only reads 50-50... and he was the one who started it... how i know this is becouse i was the second wote...

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I wanted to vote "I always...", but honestly couldn't and had to vote "I do my best...".
    Some posts are so messed up and confusing that trying to understand them is a waste of time.

From experience I know some posters are harmless spammers, often making comments such as "it rocks", "me too", etc. :rolleyes:
    I have less patience in reading their posts, but I do try (spoke he with the voice of Samuel L Jackson) to read and understand them before replying.

Apeman's post reminded me of a topic on another Forum (Europa Universalis 2) which took me several days to read. :)

[ December 21, 2002, 16:03: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

11. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I read everything.

12. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] You do really have to at least try to read everything, or at the very least, the initial post and the last few.

13. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I read everything...that's probably why I don't post as much as many people: I will intend to say something, but someone else has already covered it pretty well so I don't bother.

Sometimes reading them all gets a little irritating. For example, the post in ToB about the funniest BG moments; the part where petrified characters return to life, then try to kill you and reload the game after failing, was listed maybe four or five times.

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I read everything or don't reply. Otherwise it's too easy for someone to completly smash you in the next post because you missed or misinterperated something

15. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Hmm,
    Well for the most part I read nearly every single post in the topics I choose to enter, attempting to understand what has been said and comment well on it.

Unfortunately, it is for this reason I usually find myself commenting on something way up, and not the last poster, usually ending up in confusing posts.

Sorry :p

16. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Oh yeah, not sure what anyone else said, but I always read them all. ;)

17. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I try my best to read everything in a particular thread provided it's only one page, if more than one page than my methodology changes: I go to the last page and read everything there and post from what I've read there.
    The more serious a topic the more I try to understand it, I can't stand making a fool of myself so I try to understand before I post anything.

18. Mortensen Banned

[​IMG] What did 8people do that was so terrible Tal?

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Didn't read what I wrote, which prompted the closure of that topic.

20. Mortensen Banned

[​IMG] Why not just delete the message Tal? :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.