1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Dating Ages

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by DragonRider SkyWard, Oct 2, 2002.

1. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I've seen alot of different ages go out and alot of older people go out with younger people. I'm courous as to what ages are ok and what does the law agree with and what you agree with.

Here's the law in the US is that you cant date a minor.

So who counts as a minor? Or is it how much older you are from the other person?

*The poll and this topic is mostly based around the ages of 13 to 19, the teen years.

Dont try the poll, it's messed up questions that wernt thought through.

[ October 04, 2002, 22:28: Message edited by: DragonRider SkyWard ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 5 question(s). 45 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Dating Ages (45 votes.)

What is the age where dating is ok? (Choose 7)
    * 13 and up - 44% (20)
    * 14 and up - 18% (8)
    * 15 and up - 13% (6)
    * 16 and up - 22% (10)
    * 17 and up - 11% (5)
    * 19 and up - 4% (2)
    * Never - 2% (1)

If he is older then her, how much older can he be? (Choose 1)
    * 0 years - 2% (1)
    * 1 year - 2% (1)
    * 2 years - 13% (6)
    * 3 years - 16% (7)
    * 4 years - 16% (7)
    * 5 years - 7% (3)
    * 6 years - 44% (20)

If she is older then him, how much older can she be? (Choose 1)
    * 0 years - 2% (1)
    * 1 year - 9% (4)
    * 2 years - 13% (6)
    * 3 years - 11% (5)
    * 4 years - 16% (7)
    * 5 years - 4% (2)
    * 6 years - 44% (20)

Is it ok for him to be older or her? (Choose 1)
    * He should be older. - 13% (6)
    * She should be older. - 2% (1)
    * They should be the same age. - 11% (5)
    * It doesnt matter. - 73% (33)

Does the grade have anything to do with it too? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 33% (15)
    * No - 67% (30)

2. Oblate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I didn't voted because i don't understand the whole question. Dates are very american. If a german girl wants a drink she usually pays on her own. :D
    Young german people meet in places called Jugendzentrum (and at school). They don't need to make a date to meet. It's usual to go to a Jugendzentrum if you're 14 years old.
    A lot of german boys have girlfriends though they never had a date. :)
    My boyfriend is 11 years younger than i am. And i had a boyfriend once that was 12 years older than i am. Sorry, but age doesn't seem to matter much to me.

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I agree on the age thing, shouldn't matter.

er.. date a minor? What exactly does dating mean then?

[ October 02, 2002, 00:53: Message edited by: Lokken ]

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Your questions depend on a lot of things...

Generally, I won't date anyone younger than 21 or older then 36. But I'm 33, so it's a good range for me.

In the US, having sex with a minor (less than 18 generally, or 4 years younger if the older person is 16 or so - at least where I live) is against the law. So it's a good idea to make sure you know how old your object of desire is!

I dated a woman 10 years older than me when I was 21, and I've dated women 11 years younger than I am now. The main thing is to enjoy the person you're with. It's not an age thing, it's a state of mind thing.

5. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31

I know my questions are sort'a all over the place. I wasn't quite sure how to ask what I was thinking. But I would like to see what other people think and how the polls turn out.

In the US it's ok then to date younger/older people as long as there is no sex involed.

6. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I heard a formula for the youngest age a girl can be for a boy to date her - halve his age, then add seven years. So if he is 24, then the youngest she can be is 19. Of course, it doesn't put an upper limit on her age (my girlfriend is 3 years older than me), and it does seem to fall apart a bit when you get down to the teens. But above about 20 it seems to be quite good!

7. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Didn't really understand some of your questions in your poll like the last one about grade? :hmm:

Age/age difference doesn't matter in my opinion, although im being hypocritical because im 4 hours older than my current girlfriend (and we were born in the same hospital too) so that's like a very very small age difference but as i said already age no matter. Also what date means changes quite a lot in different countries and/or the age of the people i.e. not many 13 year old couples go out to restaurants together or stuff like that.

8. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Why does how much older only go up to 6 years? :confused: There's a whole 10 year age difference between my parents, and they're perfectly happy...

9. Juggalo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It depends on the age of both of them i think. The older you get the less important it is. Example. a 28 year old and a 24 year old is fine. But a 18 year old and a 14 year old is bad (i think!)Someones whos officially and adult (UK) and there going out with somone whos around half way through puburity... I knew someone who who always went out with people loads younger than him and it was very odd.

10. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I would date people but i'm

Some boys are soooo...SHALLOW! :bang: :mad: :(

11. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31

Teensabre, I have that same problem. The only differince is that I'm a guy :p

12. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

What is generally acceptable:
    Under 15: not more than a year or two age difference
    15-20: 2 or 3 years
    20-30: 4 or 5 years
    30-50: 10 years
    50+: Hey, you take what you can get ;) :D

13. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Poll silly.
    Answer easy.
    If two people like each other age doesn't matter.

14. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I don't see why you limited to 13. I dated my first bf last year, when I was 12. It doesn't matter. My best friend is in love with a 16 year old guy, and she's still 12.

And I agree, age doesn't matter when you are in love. It might be frowned upon in society, but I doubt a loving couple cares about society when they have each other.

15. Padeen Dragonblade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Um S godess you said in chat that you where BECOMING 12 soon(Or in BoM, long time ago, about before the improvements where made.)
    Anywy I have been dating since I was eleven. It depend when the lust for the opposite sex starts.
    Age does not matter.
    And I seem to have lost all intrest in girls/dating nad the sort.(before some time this started).
    But what do i know? My life sucks anyway.

Padeen.

16. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Can you feel the positivity in the room? OH YEAH! Seriously, I don't believe there should be an age gap limit as long- and this is an important stipulation- neither party is trying to exploit the age of the other. The worry is that an older male (or female for that matter) would try to exploit (mentally, psychologically, physically) the younger female (or male). This gap disintegrates in adulthood because both parties are more aware of attempts on the other's part to exploit them. But in youth, many are blind and out of feelings they cannot supress or explain do what the older person wishes. There are good reasons why a relationship between a 16y/o and a 12y/o is frowned upon. The 16 year old male will reach his sexual prime (~18) when his partner is only 14. At this point, either the male will have to supress his hormonal desires, find another partner, or release his lusts on his partner. None of these cases are particularly desirable to both parties.

The first girl I "dated" I met when I was 15~16. We didn't hang out all that much, and though I was attracted to her, I was hesitant to take steps to ask her out. First of all- the possibility of dating in my mind would require any or all of the following: a car, fashion sense, self-esteem, cash, and even lacking that, at least free time- some things I didn't have. We saw each other at social functions, and hung out at school- but to attempt anything beyond that seemed highly unlikely. We did live about 5 minutes away from eachother, which lent more to playing with your friend than going out with your girlfriend. Finally, after about a year of getting to know her as my friend, we started to do all of the things that people who date do- well almost. We went skating, to the park, to movies, to eachothers houses, etc., but we still didn't think of it as dating. We fought and argued, and were more hurt by it than if it had been anyone else- a testament to how close we were. I think it took time for us to develop a sense of trust and comfort around eachother- something that is necessary for a relationship to work, and doesn't develop overnight.

Most teen relationships are based on material or at least more shallow attractions- hence the phrase, "I want to get to know you." It implies that you don't, but are hooked, and maybe want to be reeled in. I think teen dating is fine, but dangerous. Many teens are unable to explain their emotions and vent them through commitments to people they don't really know. Barring those, given that both people know what they're doing, there isn't much to be said against it.

Oh yeah, my girlfriend and I are still together, after having been close friends for a year and dating for about 1 1/2. We're both in college, at the same college- University of California, Berkeley (GO CAL!), both (probably, we'll see) majoring in Mathematics. Living proof that teen relationships can work.

Amon-Ra

17. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Padeen, her profile clearly states that her birthday is September 12, 1989. Thus making her 13.

18. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think they should be in the same age range really, dunno why - I am a bit old fashioned ;)
    though that doesn't have anything to do with it :hmm:

Oh well, I've never dated so how would I know?

19. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I think it depends on the maturity level of both parties. Personally I've never dated because no guy I know, that is my age, is really mature enough.

My parents have 12 years between them...my father is younger, and males do tend to mature slower...so in my family it is the discrepancy in the maturity of the couple rather than their ages that creates a problem.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    This is a proven scientific fact, is it? Or just some stereotype? A smart girl like yourself should have learned by now that such generalizations don't pass unnoticed any more these days. PC is rampant, and it's valid for either gender.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.