1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Circumcision?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    This stunned me when I read it in the other thread. I almost wrote about it there, but I felt it was tangental enough to the original topic to be made into a seperate thread. While I knew the practice of circumcision varied in different countries, I did not know that there were countries where the practice was actually banned. So in Finland, you can't get one even if you were an adult and wanted one?

If it's part of a religious belief system, I frankly don't see how one can ban it.

I got a baby boy on the way, and while I really didn't think about it before now, I think I would have him circumcised (as a baby), even though it wouldn't be for religious reasons. Since the vast majority of boys are circumcised in the US, I wouldn't want him to have any uncomfortable moments in the locker room because he was "different" from the other boys.

Anyway, two questions. For this to be any help, please state what country you are from when replying. :thumb:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 41 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Circumcision? (41 votes.)

Are most men circumcised in your country? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 44% (18)
    * No - 46% (19)
    * I haven't the slightest idea. - 10% (4)

What is the legal status of circumcision in your country? (Choose 1)
    * It's legal if you want one. - 100% (41)
    * It's required by law. - 0% (0)
    * It's only allowed if you are a member of a religion that requires it. - 0% (0)
    * It's banned. - 0% (0)

2. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

In Denmark its legal, but not required of anyone. Since at least male circumcision is not harmfull in a young age and is used to help people with a too thight foreskin, i cant really see the problem with it.

the only problem is, when your a young boy/adult the penis head can get sore if its constantly exposed, but as far as i can undestand this will pass after some time for most people.

as far as i can see its only done in Denmark as a religius thing or a medical issue, so its a minority who is circumcised.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

In Canada it is exactly the same as the States - almost all boys are circumsized as babies but it is completely optional.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm suing my parents. I want my foreskin back.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I find it unusual - granted it may be because most people who voted didn't post, so we don't know where they are from - that most people indicated the majority of males are NOT circumcised in their country. Could be sampling error though. Come to think of it, I don't know anyone who isn't circumcised (well, other than some of the people on these boards I suppose).

6. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Gah, I really phrased that very badly and was accordingly misunderstood. Of course it's legal to get yourself circumcized if you want to. No reason to ban it really, a child however can't be legally circumcized no matter how much he consented or the parents wanted it. As an adult one is of course free to circumcise himself or even castrate himself if he would feel the need to do so.

Since I'm no lawyer I do not know the specifics about the law or when a child has the full rights to decide if he wants to go through with this (14 or 15 years would be my guess.)

My personal opinion is that circumsition should be reserved for people who need it for medical procedure. If one otherwise wants it then it can be done when he reaches the proper age of consent.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Aldeth, you'll find that in most European countries, circumcision is not performed unless medical or religious reasons call for it. In North America, it's just the opposite... pretty much everyone is circumcised because the doctors there a century ago decided that it's in boys' best interests that they be circumcised.

Which can be true in the minority of cases (medical reasons), but in general, it's total nonsense. And most doctors today actually oppose the practice unless for medical reasons.

I've voted, and you can pretty much replace Denmark with Slovenia in Equester's post and it'll apply for Slovenia, so I didn't bother repeating it.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Out of curiosity, is their a religious exception to this? Although you did say that the mother of a child was charged with assault, so maybe there is no medical exception...

Apparantly so. While I do no know exactly who has and who has not voted, there are currently 3 votes for yes and 7 for no. Since myself, JSSB, and DR are all from North America, presumably everyone else who voted is not.

I also may have to re-think this decision for my child. I mean, there really is no medical reason to do it in most cases.

9. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Supposedly, sex feels better for non-circumcised men. That makes sense to me I guess, if one imagined the umm...engineering...of sex.

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] LNT,
    one could say that circumcised men are happy with less.

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
  12. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually, you'll find that this isn't true anymore. For kids my oldest son's age (he's turning 8 in May) and younger, it's actually closer to 50/50.....and the trend is moving towards parents not circumcising their boys at all.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    T3 was circumsized, I think it's about 50:50 according to our doctor. There are advantages and disadvantages for young children -- as Rally points out there are a lot of advantages for adults. Not the least of which was mentioned here by Barmy Army. What a classic post.

One could say that ... if referring to useless, flabby skin. Circumcision doesn't affect umm... adequate maturation (I think a certain Mr Holmes would be adequate proof).

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't think that anyone who's kept their foreskin will call it useless or flabby. Believe it or not, males are born with the foreskin for a reason... and it's not so that it can be cut off ASAP. But I understand that you don't miss what you don't know you've had. :)

15. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Hmm, interesting discussion - not possessing the requisite body part myself, I can only speak as a spectator, as it were.

Most of the men I have had reason to know this fact about have been circumcised, probably because it's in the U.S. and, as already noted, it was a nearly automatic medical procedure for newborn boys for a long time. However, I was involved in caring for my father near the end of his life and so came to learn he was not circumcised. He was born in 1918 in a home birth attended by a midwife - so the medical circumstances leading to most U.S. men being circumcised didn't apply to him.

As for whether it makes a difference in sexual pleasure - that seems to me a question that could only be answered by a man who had experienced sex both before and after an adult circumcision. Otherwise it is so subjective there is no way to address it.

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    T2,
    I simply think those nerve endings in that useless, flabby skin are good for something.

17. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I live in Luxemburg. Circumcision is legal, but very uncommon here, I know only two people who've been put under the tiny guillotine.

I likes me foreskin, wouldn't swim around naked without it.

18. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

In Canada, I have no clue as to the percentage who are circumcized, and I really don't want to do the research...

I'm not sure of the law (never thought about it, actually), but I assume it's available if you wanted one...

19. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I live in the rural US, where I am there is a GIGANTIC percentage towards circumcision. I can only give a rough guess, but I'd say about 80% of the people my age had the procedure. Not really much more to say here...

[ May 26, 2007, 05:35: Message edited by: ChickenIsGood ]

20. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'm from India and circumcision is perfectly legal if you want it. Having said that, I'm a Muslim and in my religion it is required to be circumcised...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.