1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Chemistry vs. Algebra 2.

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Which do/did you prefer in high school? Chemistry, or Algebra 2, and why?

I hate chemistry because of stupid stuff like the signifigant digits! I have like a low C in chemistry. But Algebra 2 is awesome because I understand it and my teacher is the coolest ever. He tells us stories about ancient greek and Roman and Persian battles and stuff. Once, he told us how 300 spartan warriors defeated 10,000 elite persian cavalry on a hill in greece! And I also have a 97% in that class!

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 35 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Chemistry vs. Algebra 2. (35 votes.)

Chemistry vs. Algebra 2. (Choose 1)
    * I prefer Algebra 2. - 51% (18)
    * I prefer Chemistry. - 37% (13)
    * I don't have a preference, or I like/dislike them equally. - 11% (4)

2. el timtor Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Algebra 2. Math always came easy for me in school.
    Until I got to Calculus. Then--> :bang:

3. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

Let's just say, I'm not really looking forward to that myself...haha.

4. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Voted Algebra, because i hate chemistry, as soon as i could stop compulsory chemisrty, i did. I like maths tho, and algebra and calculus are mostly easy, depending what your doing with them.

5. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I love Chem. Easily my best class this schoolyear.

6. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Algebra because it stays the same... Chem on the otherhand, changes whenever someone makes a new discovery or whatnot, usually every c20 years, so what a person learned back in the day is obsolete by the time they need to know it again (such as when their kids need help with homework). As the 'kid' in the scenario, things sucked.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Honestly, whatever it was, I really loved the moment of being back home.

8. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Algebra is just a small part of math just like organic chemistry to chemistry. i have to say, this comaprison is really unfair in the sense that there is a greater chance people dislike chemistry. And you can see my preference from my complain don't you? i study biophyics (physical chemistry + bio, like organic chem + bio = biochem) for some reasons.

9. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

No, that's not correct teekc. Algebra forms the foundation for all higher level math you take afterwards. Sciences split off into different disciplines, some of which are completely unrelated. Not so with math, it's all interconnected.

Anyways, take the Algebra. You're going to have to take math in college anyways and the more you know now the easier it'll be down the road. Quick story: I'm taking an Astronomy class this semester and when I had a post-test question for my professor, he responded by asking if I had taken calculus (I had, and it wasn't a requirement for the class). Because of that my question was answered very quickly in the form of an equation rather than having to waste lots of time with words. Math definately pays off.

10. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Well I really liked both Algebra and Chemistry, so I chose both :D . And the battle you talk about was the suicide mission of King Leonidas and his elite army,they were slaughtered when the Persians found a lot of small tracks around the pass, so they could walk right around them and attack them from the back and there sacrifice didn't really help, Athens was still plundered :) , but latter on the Athens fleet defeated the Persians.

11. Leppi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Chemistry, mainly becuase my algebra teacher is a sadistic witch.
    While our chem teacher hardly ever looks at us and we get to play with fire during the labs. :evil:

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Generally taken: I dislike maths more than chemistry, so it is a easy choise between the two. ;)

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I hate both. But I'd probably go with Chem.. maybe :/

It was actually a narrow pass and there were more than 10,000 persians, it was their whole bloody army :eek: . The term "defeated" is also relative. They all died, to the last man. It was a victory because their sacrifice gave the other Greek cities enough time to mobilize their armies to intercept the Persians. :) A few fictional accounts (based on fact) of this are Frank Miller's "300" (Graphic Novel/Comic Book) and "Gates of Fire" (Novel) by Stephen Pressfield iirc. :)

-Edit-

@Equester

Oops, didn't see that you'd already made an explanation re: the battle of Thermopylae(sp?) :)
    as for:
    All I can say is.... GEEK AWARD ;) hehe

14. Blog Gems: 23/31

I picked math over chemistry because of the teachers I had. My math teacher ruled; he doesn't check our homework. So just do enough of the textbook problems until you're confident and then quit. And my calculus teacher was very witty and funny. The chem teacher was alright, but not special in any sense. And I hated chem labs.

15. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I have both of them now, ans physics too ;)
    And I enjoy it :)

16. Ruddiger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

"But Algebra 2 is awesome because I understand it and my teacher is the coolest ever. He tells us stories about ancient greek and Roman and Persian battles and stuff. Once, he told us how 300 spartan warriors defeated 10,000 elite persian cavalry on a hill in greece!"

That sounds more like ancient history than maths to me, but maybe the curriculum is different in America. Anyway I took maths, physics and chemistry at advanced higher, and i find maths pretty straightforward. Mostly because its a little like physics, which i pretty much rock at :cool:

17. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    In my chemistry class we got to blow stuff up...mainly by putting a slice of pure sodium in water.

Chemistry is awsome! :rolling:

18. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I had an easier time with Calculus than Algebra.

That works really well in Physics as well.

I hated Chemistry. Had to take two miserable years of it in high school. I haven't taken it yet.

19. teekc Gems: 23/31

Only quantum physic can explain chemical bonding and this highier level study appears to be the foundation of that lower level study. Saying that one field is not related another limits one's capability to explore other possiblities.

Algebra is the foundation of higher math just like chemical nomenclature is the foundation of chemistry. Comparing albegra to chemistry is just like comparing chemical nomenclature to math.

20. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Algebra was more straightforward, but chemistry I found more interesting. So voted chemistry.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.