1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poll: Best Mage Spell

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by caimenking69, Aug 20, 2000.

1. H Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] The best spell, well i really like fleblemind, mostly because its permanent, but for a fight, any mental domination spell its great......

2. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Chromatic orbs rocks! I was able to stun many guardians in lower Dorn's with it.
    Some of the hardest monsters have bad saves.
    Web, cone of cold and chaos are also among my favorites. Oh...and haste of course.

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Magic Missile is pretty cool! I also like summoning elementals!

I agree with Syl about the Dectect Evil/Know Alignment spell though....Dectect Evil saved my ass in BG2 in the paladin stronghold quest when you have to babysit that annoying rich girl until her uncle comes to fetch her.

When he arrived, I cast Detect Evil on him, and he came up evil...So I pestered him until he attacked...and was victorious in my quest!!!

Not common, but it helps...

4. H Gems: 2/31

i forgot, vampiric touch is excelent, you can recover your healt points and win more...

lich touch is also great because it frezees everyone you beat including Xzunomei (ok i dont remember how to spell it... sorry :mad: )

5. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Mirror Image is one of the most useful spells in the game, hands down. Hell, you can cast a fireball on yourself while mirrir-imaged, and not take any damage! You can plow right through traps and come out OK! It's a great spell! For that added sence of security, cast it in combination with StoneSkin!

I also LOVE sunfire! Since I mainly play solo games sunfire is probably the most useful spell I know of, espicialy when you get the ring that doubles 5th level spells!

Don't forget, espicially if you are a f/m or a f/m/t, about Tensors Transformation. Cast this spell when you are near death and BOOM, you back and ready for action! I love Tensors!

The bottom line is that Mirror Image is still, IMHO, the BEST SPELL IN THE GAME.

6. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Magic Missiles
    Magic M i s s i l e s
    Magic M ii ss ss ii ll ee ss
    Magic M iii sss sss iii lll eee sss
    Magic M iiii ssss ssss iiii llll eeee ssss

Get the idea?

7. H Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] I have to disagree with everyone who says that magic misile is great.... IT SUCKS

Why, well, almost every powerful NPC in the game has the enough magic resistance to not even get hurt, so what is the point of casting that spell...

8. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Well, if you read the MM write up, this spell increases in effect as you level up - one of the few that REALLY do... If it does hit, it damages most monsters, regardless of resistances.

If the monster is protected from spells, then you just need to lower that defence first -- then WHAP em with Magic Missiles!... Despite being a 1st Level spell, this has to be the most powerful spell in the game when measured over the length of the game and the damage done/monsters killed.

<corrected a typo>

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited August 23, 2001).]

9. H Gems: 2/31

Yea i suppose that if you go and start a fight with Malavon, he is going to get pretty scared of your misiles... I supoose i he's going to say - O NO The guy with the magic missiles, No please help me, i only had Malavon's Rage and Malavon's Corrosive Fog to defend myself... HELP PLEASE...

Whatever

10. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

I tell you what.. you go try to cast some spell that takes more than 1 round to cast... MM's from any Mage will DISRUPT your casting... Then we can play the "wait .. cast .. wait" sequence... until either I run out of MM's or you run out of hit points...

Now, IF - and only IF - you are either supported by allies who can attack me between my casting OR I have to move towards you before casting, then you have a chance.. and only that, a chance.

Unlike the BG series, I don't remember seeing any Contingency, Spell Trigger or Spell Sequencer type spells which can "stop, drop and roll" the MM's if I can get off the first shot.

If I am wrong, educate me. If I am not... well, have a friend carry a Resurrection scroll for you.

11. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I like MM....BUT, simply cast shield! or Minor globe, and MM is WORTHLESS....If the AI was better, MM wouldn't be 1/2 as good as it is.

12. Avooch Dar Guest

Magic missile.

It's simple it's effective and it's quick.

nuff said.

ps. Stop double posting people.....you know who you are.

13. Bhaal's Drinking Buddy Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Otiluke's Freezing Sphere and Finger of Death.
    Don't bother with Disintergrate cause Finger of Death is a more potent version.

14. Abdel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] well i agree that magic missile doesn't have much effect when your opponent is protected with spells that put on some magic resistant but it is also very quick so most of the time your able to cast mm before he can cast this spell... ( if your to late you can cast a dispel ) But mm is not my favorite spell..I think that cloudkill is very usefull ( also in baldur's gate series ) just cast 3 of them on top of each other and unleash HELL!!

What do you guys think?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.