1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Are you satisfied with your current government?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Morgoroth, May 20, 2007.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

So are you? I'm just wondering because so many people complain about how the current government is good for nothing and can't do anything right or is throughly corrupt. So it really makes me wonder if there are people around who actually are more or less satisfied the way the current adminstration in their respective countries are doing things. Personally I'm pretty happy, I was OK with the last cabinet too and the current one is a coalition which I had been hoping for for a long while now.

I would appreciate any motivations to the answer. What the government has been doing poorly and what it has been doing well, and if you are dissatisfied with the current government it'd be nice to know what changes you'd like to see in it.

Feel free to comment on both national and more local levels of government if you want to but the main focus of this thread should still be on the officials elected on the national level.

Finally please let's not get into intense debates about individual issues or even adminstrations. I'd like to see as many answers as possible and would prefer if people would not be forced to defend their positions further in this thread.

Now for my personal feelings of the current Finnish adminstration. First of all it's quite new and has just started so it has not managed to screw up things too badly. The economy is doing quite well and both of the major cabinet parties are taking quite a careful approach in government spendin, which is good. Also I'm very happy about them increasing studying subsides and increasing the amount of money a student is able to earn without loosing the subsidies making working while studying somewhat easier. The only thing I feel a bit disappointed about is the fact that the right-wing party promised boosts to the wages of nurses and are pretty much backing down on that promise which was a dirty trick during their campaign, I did saw it coming though.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 36 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Are you satisfied with your current government? (36 votes.)

Are you satisfied with your current government? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 25% (9)
    * No - 72% (26)
    * Don't know - 0% (0)
    * Don't care - 3% (1)

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I currently am in a total sense of loathing of my current government after being recently lied to, again. This was in regard to a new superannuation scheme launched by the government. The government told all members of my industry that the scheme was going to do one set of things and they weren't going to change it in any way so that we could offer financial advice on it to people and companies before it came about.

Then the government just changed a significant portion of the scheme and I'm going to have to revisit all my clients, go over the same thing as last time, only different, all for no extra pay.

That, is one issue in a long line of issues I have with the current government. The other issue I have is that they're creating a welfare state in which people on the poverty line will always vote for this government because this government simply shells out money to those who don't work, who keep popping out babies, who don't contribute to society at all. The current government has these people comfortably nestled in their back back pocket of social welfare.

3. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I don't pay much attention to my local government, but I loathe both the Governor of my state who happens to be in the pocket of the Tax Payers' League and the President of the United States.

I can't blame all the problems on my state's current government, as the previous administration lead by the yahoo Jesse Ventura did a lot of damage. The influx of Southerners have also lead to a shift in values and education has been suffering for at least the last 8 years. The current governor is just a goofy bastard who refuses to work with anyone and refuses to raise taxes even if his fellow Republicans realize the funding for the government has to come from somewhere. Every once and a while he'll claim he's going to comprise and then go back to making sure he's only listening to the Tax Payers' League within the week. Oh and Mister Governor, the roads need attention, clearly you fail to realize just how hard the winter can be on roads.

I can't stand Mr. Bush for too many reasons to count. Namely we've declined economically and in global politics ever since he's come into office and now we've got the armed forces over stretched (at least L.B.J. and Nixon where smart enough to realize they had to use conscription because they where in over their head). He's currently has me convinced that I could step into the oval office and run it better then he could, despite be a college student with no experience in political office. He runs the nation just like he ran the Rangers, right into the ground.

I voted against both of them, mind you the other guy running against my governor was an absolute ******* who turned on his running mate during the campaign. His daughters use to go to my college and his older daughter punched an on duty police officer in the face for no reason in the little college town that the college over looks the year after she graduated.

[ May 20, 2007, 23:16: Message edited by: Ilmater's Suffering ]

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    No.

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I am mostly satisfied with the current government of Canada. In reality there has been no significant difference between the current Conservative minority government from the previous Liberal minority government or the Liberal majority governments before that. With a minority government the status quo usually goes on and in this case the status quo has been quite reasonable.

Personally I dislike the Conservative Party's position on social issues but they have been too afraid to try to do anything so that hasn't been a problem.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I live in America. We have Bush. Does that answer your question? :p

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    :lol: Thanks! I needed a good laugh today. :lol:

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What can I add to the above? :D

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I live in Denmark. Our Prime Minister is Anders Fogh Rasmussen, commonly known as "Bush's tail-wagging puppy". :flaming:

It *was* a trick question, wasn't it? ;) :p

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I dont think anyone is satisfied, or even should be satisfied. The best you can hope for is a situation where you are not actively dissatisfied and unhappy.

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    It gets better as you get more local, but even the governor and township supervisors and local school board routinely make some spectacularly boneheaded decisions, so no.

12. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

No. Not at all.

13. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Nope. Howard needs to go.

@ Montresor
    That means that Bush has 2 "tail-wagging puppies" as you call them.

14. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

We have a coalition government consiting of the two biggest parties. I'm certainly not satisfied.

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I live in America. We have Bush. Yeah, I'm satisfied with it.

There are things he's done that I'm not particular happy with, but that's true of EVERY administration I can remember. There are positives and negatives with every government. Usually, the positives outweigh the negatives. I run into positives and negatives on the state and local level as well -- some of the negatives really piss me off, but I believe most people in government are trying to do the right thing.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn my back on most politicians. But a relative scale wasn't presented here -- satisfied usually means an overall 'C' grade in my book. A couple of F's, a couple of A's -- that rounds out to a C.

16. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Where our current government is now a quick flush would solve a lot of problems.

I wish a person could tell what a person running believed in and could vote better with that knowledge but all politicians change as the wind does. Don't get me wrong, I love my country, just dislike the people running it!

Sorry, rambling again. Age does that.

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31

No, I am not satified and customer service is giving me the runaround. :nolike:

18. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I live in a country where the ruling right keep pushing motions to make it harder for those of us without a job to live as well as privatizing aspects of life that just should not be private.

19. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

No, I'm not satisfied. The current leaders of Sweden, in my eyes, has failed to live up to their promises, and has altered several things (for the worse) that were working decently before. I hope, and suspect, that they will not be reelected (although thats years from now).

20. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

current leaders of denmark has basically tried to undermine our education system by removing funding, which is very stupid considering denmark is to small to live of hard industrie and has no natural resurces (all our oil is allready sold to multinational corporations that hardly pay any tax).

secondly with the help of the ultra nationalist party, they have passed some insane laws, like the 24year rule (if you marry a person under 24 from another country he/she dont get danish citizenship and will have a hard time getting it)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.