1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Are you REALLY musically inclined?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by idoru, Aug 9, 2002.

1. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

As in, do you play an instrument? :)

Edit: Oh, and I made that checkbox thing work, so you can choose more than one... sort of forgot about a "no" option though, so if you don't play an instrument, find another poll! :D

[ August 09, 2002, 03:35: Message edited by: idoru ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 34 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Are you REALLY musically inclined? (34 votes.)

Are you REALLY musically inclined? (Choose 6)
    * Guitar - 44% (15)
    * Bass - 18% (6)
    * Drums - 18% (6)
    * Piano - 26% (9)
    * I sing, does that count? - 38% (13)
    * Other - 38% (13)

2. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Trumpet all the way! :thumb:

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I played the trumpet for awhile, but then I learned to play the drums and I liked the drums better, so I quit the trumpet. :rolling:

[ August 09, 2002, 07:03: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

4. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I never learned to read music, and have no instrumental ability. I am a very good singer, though. But given that my forte is showtunes, I was not willing to embark on the gypsy life required to pursue such a career.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I was used sing under the shower .... and pretty bad I have to admit .... making me prefer to hum actually where I'm better :D

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Saxaphone all the way.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I always wanted an electric guitar and practice "System of a Down", but my parents won´t let me. Saying it´s "crap" music and bad for your brains. No, "the Corrs" are healthy! (for the utterly stupid: I´m being sarcastic)

:coffee:

8. Sick curtaiN Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Guitars all the way for me. Possibly the most versatile instrument. It canm fit in any kind of music and girls like it too!

:grin:

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I used to play the violin but quit because the new teacher was a complete jackass

10. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Nah... Bass and piano have to win everything. (Even though I'm really good at playin treble in piano, when it comes to bass it's way easier reading the tabs than the notes. *sigh*)

11. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I played trombone and baritone for years when I was younger. I learned how to play most brass instruments - except the french horn (painful, painful experience). Now I just play guitar and I'm starting to learn to play the piano.

12. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I can't sing, so I won't do it if I'm not alone. I hope to get guitar lessons after the summer.

13. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I don't play an instrument. I can play keyboard (it's what we had to do at school) a little. I also sing along to songs, on my own. I also write lyrics and then sing them over the top of other music.

[edit] I also air-drum and air-guitar :grin:

[ August 09, 2002, 18:56: Message edited by: Lazy Bonzo ]

14. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I sing, everywhere, all the time. I sang with a band, back in the prehistoric days, that No Doubt once opened for.

I used to play guitar -- I had the perfect, most beautiful guitar imaginable (a Rickenbacker 360-F Fire-glo). But I was a crappy player. :(

15. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I used to play guitar, and still have a few of my show guitars, but I haven't played any in many years.

Never was in a band though. I never had any friends that could play.

16. soapy cuts Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm truely musically inclined. From about the age of 10 i have taught myself to play the drums like a mad man. I drum 24/7. If you put me at a piano, I won't leave for hours, and i could learn any other instrument if i wanted. I understand music as well. Like, i can read it, write it, and when I listen to a song, I listen to the music, and not just the words. Being musically inclined goes past being forced to play the clarinet in grade school. You have to be truely talented. I know I am, and I'm only 15.

17. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Hmm, I don't know... I think it's very much something you can practice. I wasn't very talented when I started playing guitar, I was a very slow learner... but right now I play piano, guitar, bass, drums and I sing... It seems to me that when I learned guitar, after a while I found myself listening to the guitar in songs in a different way.. paying more attention, sort of. Same thing happened when I figured out the basics of drums, all of a sudden I caught myself counting the tempo in a song, figuring out what kind of kickdrum pattern was being used.. I think it's a good thing, even though people who are overly ambitious with their instrument seem to start listening to music that is.. hmm, well, only liked by other musicians. Allan Holdsworth and Yngwie would be two guitarist examples.

I can enjoy listening to Holdsworth (not Malmsteen) at times, but to me it's more of a craftmanship thing when I listen.. just like a carpenter might enjoy looking at a well built house, even though the house doesn't really have that good architecture or such things that an amateur would notice and enjoy... Same with Holdsworth, I can enjoy the way he fires off those arpeggios and the bizarre chord inversions, but in my most humble opinion, he hardly every has a good melody to it as well... and to me, music is all about melody.

18. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I've played paino for about 10 years now and have recently begun tackling Rachmaninov's Third Concerto... needless to say it's not going well. :)

[ August 14, 2002, 04:36: Message edited by: Alex ]

19. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I sing - opera mostly - and have performed at concerts in several countries. Lovely experiences!

20. Elendil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It's the guitar all the way for me. I adore that instrument. I'd like to expand my skills to more instruments like the piano. I've been messing a bit with a baby-size synth, getting it down with some computer game tunes... :roll:

I agree that music is something that is mostly learnt, some people have an easier time than others, but practice and dedications determs your level of musicianship. For instance, all the famous and technically great (guitar) players, often praised for their talent, are well known for their fanatical worshipping of the instrument, with practice sessions that can sometimes last up to 12 hours (or more) per day...

Idoru, I'd say it's not really a "craftsmanship" thing. It's more of an "understanding" thing. People who like that music mostly understand it better than ordinary people. If I'd never started playing the guitar, I wouldn't recognize a fast arpeggio. I wouldn't understand it and I'd probably think it's crap. But, understanding it totaly changes the perspective. That kind of thing is more complex and requires a more dedicated listener.
    I love melody too, but I also think that making a simple melody which can be easly "caught" by anyone is simpler that making something complex as a solo, hence the whole pop industry. A lot of times, after hearing a band for the first time I'd say that the music isn't good, that it doesn't have much melody. Careful listening would proove othervise...

both edits: spelling

[ August 15, 2002, 23:58: Message edited by: Elendil ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.