1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: alternative rock

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by idoru, Feb 9, 2003.

1. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I play in an alternative rock band, we're called blank page... we really need some honest opinions on our music. take a look at our website:

http://www.blank-page.tk

click on "english" in the top right corner, and it should all start making sense... if you choose "listen", you can download two of our songs. I would really, really appreciate it if you could take a listen, and tell me what you think... I made a handy little poll, for this purpose. :D But feel free to reply and elaborate a bit... I don't mind some constructive criticism.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 3 question(s). 6 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: alternative rock (6 votes.)

Song #1: water under bridge (Choose 1)
    * brilliant! - 0% (0)
    * nice song, though not my cup of tea/could use some polishing. - 67% (4)
    * It was alright, I suppose... - 17% (1)
    * I don't like this song at all (do tell me why) - 0% (0)
    * I didn't listen to this song. - 17% (1)

Song #2: floor (Choose 1)
    * brilliant! - 17% (1)
    * nice song, though not my cup of tea/could use some polishing. - 17% (1)
    * It was alright, I suppose... - 33% (2)
    * I don't like this song at all (do tell me why) - 0% (0)
    * I didn't listen to this song. - 33% (2)

Overall opinion (Choose 1)
    * Why are you not signed? - 0% (0)
    * Good band, but not my style/could possibly use some more practice - 67% (4)
    * alright, I suppose. - 0% (0)
    * don't quit your day job.... - 0% (0)
    * no opinion. - 33% (2)

2. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] First, this kind of music is not what I use to listen to. So don't mind my opinion.

I kinda liked the song (Water under bridge)... until the guy started singing. I just didn't like this scrape-your-throat voice, sorry. Guitars and drums were quite allright I think, but again, I don't know much about this kind of stuff. Give me a trumpet and I'm happy.

Just go on, I think you guys are quite capable. ;)

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I am into this kind of music, (Well, I prefer a bit heavier actually, but anyway ;) ) but I have to say, the vocals sound too forced. The singer is putting pressure on his voice to get that sound, and because of that he doesn't get a full sound to his voice. Not a sarcastic remark, but has he taken singinglessons? A professional should be able to teach him to get this sound without putting pressure on his voice, so that he can sing with a full volume.

4. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Quite good instrumentally but i must say, that i'd have to agree with the others here when they say that the voice needs working on. I mean i couldn't make out the words to clearly plus i agree on the forced voice bit. Apart from the vocals, you're quite good :)

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

btw. Don't take this too hard on the vocalist, it's probably one of the hardest instruments to play, especially if you're going for a sound different than your own voice is. But if anything identifies you as a band, then it's the vocalist's sound. You can replace a drummer or guitarist and not notice, but the vocalist can make or break a band.

6. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] iduro, I think your band are surprisingly good. Since i moved from Stockholm (now living in glorious England *cough*), I've more or less encircled the Alt.Rock scene for some decent bands.
    Having looked at your site and such, i've sent the MP3's to all my mates and given them the web adress.
    Your singer sounds...raspy, but I think it goes well with the song. Perhaps he could sing more clearly, but it was a great performance nonetheless.

Good work.

7. Frostmage Gems: 11/31

Veteran

It's good, but not exactly my kind of music. My parents loved it though. And I the singer's voice gives it a quite original sound.

8. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I liked the songs,vocals are giving a deep effect to music and it fits the song.
    The lyrics are really good.
    But for me the music is a little bit ...well standart(a little bit).I can't say with little practices you will be the best or such things cause i really don't know how to play guitar or bass(playing battery for a long time ;) ).
    Overally i think your music is 7 or 8 over 10,a little bit improved and(/me took his sticks and went to the nearest studio...too much gas i think :D )
    EDIT:Graemlin mistake

[ February 11, 2003, 18:36: Message edited by: Khelben ]

9. idoru Gems: 11/31

Thanks for the input everyone! I really appreciate it... it's hard to get an honest opinion when you ask friends and such, message boards like this one are a great help.

Well first off, ahem, I am the singer, and guitarist. We're a trio. In my defence I should say that the vox were recorded under a lot of stress, we had virtually no time to polish.. I think we recorded them between 10 pm and 1 am or something like that, after being up since 6:30.. :(

That being said, I know my vox could be a lot better. I've actually been considering lessons, I've had no real education so far..

As for the songs being standard, well, ahem, no. :D I think water under bridge is our most standard song, the rest of them tend to be more interesting.

So, the plan is: Take singing lessons, and spend A LOT more time working on vocals next time we're in the studio, hopefully on a day when I've had a full night's sleep too.

Once again, thanks for the help.

10. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    [​IMG] Not being Swedish, I couldn't actually find the sound files on your site! :) Somebody direct me please?

11. Kiranos Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Go to "Lyssna" in the menu and you will find them there.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.