1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: About to Graduate

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Wordplay, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Normally I don't create topics, but in this case I decided to make an exception. Like the title suggests, I'm about to graduate and my studies end 01.04.2007, so you may now kneel and worship a new Master. :p

More seriously, though, I did have a question too. What is the level of education here, on SP? When did you graduate and what did you do afterwards?

Master's, majoring in business, communication, and IT. Plus, bachelor's in engineering, majoring in IT and programming. I'll be heading to another university to do my year long civil-service period and, hopefully, continuing there even after it ends. Might start aiming for Ph.D just for the fun of it. I'm also kinda proud that I managed to finish in four years, instead of the average five, and have complementary studies from polytechnic (engineering).

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 30 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: About to Graduate (30 votes.)

What is your level of education? (Choose 1)
    * Elementary - 3% (1)
    * High school - 23% (7)
    * Bachelor - 47% (14)
    * Master - 20% (6)
    * Licensiate - 0% (0)
    * Professor - 7% (2)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well done.

But what qualifies someone as a Master, a liscensciate, or a professor? I don't really know what those terms mean exactly.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I suppose I fall under bachelor for voting, but I don't have that type of degree.

Congrats on your graduation in January. You must *really* like school. ;)

4. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Currently, or what I intend to do in the future? Congratulations, the sooner you finish uni the sooner you can start rolling the paper in. :thumb:

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I completed a Masters degree in Accounting and a Bachelors of Arts majoring in accounting and minoring in econcomics. I went on to get my professional accreditation by writing the required exams. I started work full time as a chartered accountant immediately after writing my exams.

I had an offer to be admitted with a large scholarship to take a PHD in accounting but I passed on that as it would probably have only limited my career possibilities. Seriously, you have to imagine that many employers would be scared off from the ivory tower academic image of a PHD in accounting. I have no desire to teach which is pretty much the only position that a PHD in accounting lends itself to. Also, I wanted to get out and work as I was somewhat tired with school by that point.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

A PhD in accounting would certainly rank up there in the grand list of the world's most pointless things.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

@ Harbourboy

Bachelor of Arts takes about 3 years to complete either in university or polytechnic. Master of Arts takes 5 years and can be completed only in university, like licentiate (SIC, 7 years) and Professor of Arts (7-9 years).

@ JSBB

Ph.D can be helpful, but basically I have to agree; if you become a professor, you are choosing the career of university teacher/researcher.

It could be helpful to me, since it would allow me to access government grants for the writing of my thesis. It would be pretty neat to write it about open source and gaming. Or in other words: team up with five other professors and create the first, commercial level open source game. Multiplayer FPS/RTS, anyone? ;)

[ December 21, 2006, 02:14: Message edited by: Wordplay ]

8. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

I chose master even though I have no actual degree. However, I have a masters liscense in Air Conditioning and Refrigeration and another in Diesel Technology and yet another in Water Purification and Filtration.

Namely 2 years for my Journymans liscense and another 4 years for the Masters.

9. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I have 2 2-year degrees, so I chose bachelor. I use my second degree at every job.

10. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

heh since my current level isn 't on your list i vote bachelor as that is what im currently trying to get through.

i have the studenter eksamen (a bit like a college i suppose) that enables one to go to the university, where im currently studieng archeology.

funnely enough, we call a master a Ph.D in Denmark, which is what im going for in archeology(currently classic, but i consider shifting to prehistoric next year)

Also, before you becomme a prefessor in denmark, you have to have a doctor degree in your art, which i think is the same as your professors. damn anoying that our educationel system uses the same words for different things :)

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Congrats Wirhe. I just made the list myself as well :p

As of last week, I submitted my final offical requirement for school. I'm now officially going to bum around until my Graduation Ceremony in February.

I just finished a 3-year trimestral Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics and am graduating with an Honorable Mention (CGPA of 3.0)

woohoo! I will probably take an MBA some time in the future, but not until I've put in around 5 years of work experience first. I'm planning to loaf around for a while.

After the new year, I will start taking Spanish classes in one of the local Instituto de Cervantes and when I get even modderately proficient, will attempt to get a partial scholarship to a uni in Spain to try living on my own and broadening my experiences and all that ;)

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

That would be "high school" diploma, which takes 3 years to accomplish around here. Guess I should have called it "upper secondary school", since these might be two different things in english... :hmm:

13. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

This poll uses a different vocabulary than I'm used to, but in addition to a four-year undergraduate degree (Bachelor of Arts) I have a three-year graduate school degree that is short of a PhD but slightly more than an MA.

Oddly, though, I didn't graduate from high school. Skipped the last year and fled to college. On the books of my home state I am listed as a high school dropout. This caused problems when I tried to get a public service job later that required a high school diploma and all I had was a college degree. Took a special ruling from a state board to let me have a job.

As for when and what, 70's for the first, 80's for the second, and never did any work related to my college degree but am still in the profession I trained for in graduate school.

14. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I am a sophomore whose final exams start next Tuesday :( . So, I think it is high school for me. 2.5 years later, I will get my Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering( but I think it is more computer science than engineering or somewhere inbetween)

15. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    An M.Sc for me in Computing, which I never use.

@Equester, Wordplay: I think a "studentereksamen" corresponds most closely to an A level in England and a High school exam in the USA.

16. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Batchelor's for me in Opthalmic Dispensing, which I use every day in my job.

17. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Last year of High school, so I put that. I'm hoping to get a Masters in Computer Studies with Artificial Intelligence though :D

18. Harbourboy

I wish I could use Artificial Intelligence to help me get a Masters as well. It would save having to do all that studying and work. ;)

19. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Be happy if you got a knack even for a regular programming. Only certain kind of people find that kind of typewriting entertaining enough to master it and *then* begin toying with it.

Good luck, though, and remember to take a look at the chaotic algorithms. Might make it easier to copy human behaviour and how you might describe decision-making with exact phrases. If you manage that, it's almost guaranteed you become a billionare afterwards.

20. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I don't know what I am, since Highschool doesn't exist here in England, but I chose it because as far as I know I'm not a bachelor.

Just finishing up at College, 3 AS levels and 4 A-levels...hoping to continue on to do a Bachelor in Arts at Uni. More specifically I want to study Music in Media (Found a good course which is Music in Media and Animation, praying for an offer there).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.