1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: A pseudo-academic Fantasy poll

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Elendil, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Elendil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Allrighty, I'm doing some research for an essay I need to do on me lil' University and the topic is about Fantasy.
    And Sci-fi, but who cares - this is a Fantasy luver site :) .

Anyway, I know it's going to be a drag, but please try to fill it, and kids - tell yer Grandma. I coud really use the body count... :shake:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 15 question(s). 61 user(s) have voted.
    Voting starts at August 23, 2005 21:57 board time.
    Voting stops at September 23, 2005 21:57 board time.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: A pseudo-academic Fantasy poll (61 votes.)

Please select your sex... (Choose 1)
    * Female - 15% (9)
    * Male - 85% (52)

What's your age? (Choose 1)
    * Under 15 - 0% (0)
    * 15 - 18 - 25% (15)
    * 19 - 26 - 46% (28)
    * 26 - 38 - 26% (16)
    * 39 + - 3% (2)

Do you play tabletop RPG-s? (Choose 1)
    * All the time - 3% (2)
    * Often - 10% (6)
    * Sometimes - 20% (12)
    * Rarely - 20% (12)
    * Never - 48% (29)

Do you read Fantasy/Sci-Fi books or magazines? (Choose 1)
    * All the time - 28% (17)
    * Often - 30% (18)
    * Sometimes - 34% (21)
    * Rarely - 7% (4)
    * Never - 2% (1)

Do you visit Fantasy/Sci-Fi related fan sites or portals? (Choose 1)
    * All the time - 34% (21)
    * Often - 36% (22)
    * Sometimes - 23% (14)
    * Rarely - 3% (2)
    * Never - 3% (2)

How many computer RPG-s have you played during the past year? (Choose 1)
    * 4 or more - 54% (33)
    * 3 - 26% (16)
    * 2 - 16% (10)
    * 1 - 2% (1)
    * None - 2% (1)

At the moment, are you playing any MMORPG-s? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 20% (12)
    * No - 80% (49)

How would you grade your Fantasy/Sci-Fi fandom as a part of your identity? (Choose 1)
    * Very important to me/my identity - 8% (5)
    * Important to me - 49% (30)
    * I Don't know - 13% (8)
    * Not important, casual habit - 28% (17)
    * I'm not a fan - 2% (1)

What kind of music do you prefer? (may pick four) (Choose 4)
    * Rock - 72% (44)
    * Jazz - 20% (12)
    * Metal - 49% (30)
    * Classical - 57% (35)
    * Reggae - 0% (0)
    * Punk - 18% (11)
    * Rap/Hip-hop - 8% (5)
    * R'n'B/Pop - 11% (7)
    * I mostly listen to the radio/music channels - 23% (14)

Do you find yourself linked to or a part of any of these "social groups"? (Choose 1)
    * Metal/Rock/Punk/Reggae/Alternative - 20% (12)
    * Rave/Techno/House - 2% (1)
    * Rap/Hip-Hop - 0% (0)
    * Mainstream/Pop - 2% (1)
    * Other - 20% (12)
    * None - 57% (35)

What's your education? (Choose 1)
    * Elementary school - 0% (0)
    * High school - 44% (27)
    * College/Bachelor's Degree - 34% (21)
    * Master's Degree/PhD/Doctorate - 21% (13)
    * None - 0% (0)

Do you have any political preferences? (Choose 1)
    * Left Wing - 31% (19)
    * Center - 30% (18)
    * Right Wing - 10% (6)
    * None - 30% (18)

Do you consider yourself a: (Choose 1)
    * Christian - 18% (11)
    * Muslim - 3% (2)
    * Buddhist - 0% (0)
    * Atheist - 21% (13)
    * Agnostic - 31% (19)
    * Other - 20% (12)
    * None of the above - 7% (4)

Would you agree that RPG fans are more creative than other people? (Choose 1)
    * I totally agree - 13% (8)
    * I mostly agree - 36% (22)
    * I don't know - 33% (20)
    * I mostly disagree - 8% (5)
    * I totaly disagree - 10% (6)

Would you agree that RPG fans are more intelligent than other people? (Choose 1)
    * I totally agree - 8% (5)
    * I mostly agree - 43% (26)
    * I don't know - 28% (17)
    * I mostly disagree - 10% (6)
    * I totaly disagree - 11% (7)

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I could have used a "I used to but don't anymore" for tabletop RPGs but I guess that is ancient history now.

It will be interesting to see if anyone answers "All the Time" for any of the categories. I would think that you would suffer rather quickly from lack of sleep, not showing up for work/school, etc. not to mention eye strain. :lol:

Edit: Okay, two people apart from me have voted and there are two "All the Time" votes. Given that there are votes for the other things in the other than none categories we appear to have multi-taskers here. :hmm: I guess you could read books/magazines and play CRPGs and surf on fantasy websites at the same time.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Why do you think I need glasses? :lol:

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31

A little explanation is needed for me, I think. The group I identify with was 'Other'. I'm part of a group, but it's not really recognized or we're so insular that nobody's noticed. I tend to keep to myself or a group of five friends (the ones I play DnD with).

I'm also the 'female' that voted. I got a chuckle out of that. :lol:

I check my forums everyday, three or four times a day. I haven't done much lately as I've managed to hitch a ride to the place where you can get books for free with a plastic card. :doh: A library is what it's called!

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Do I visit fantasy sites? Hmm... :shake:

6. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

If Blues was an option for music, I would have a tick for that, but you cannot include every genre.

7. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I put 'No' for MMORPG since I don't know what one is :grin:

[Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. Like Everquest. -Tal]

[ August 24, 2005, 13:46: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

The last two questions were dodgy IMO - playing RPGs doesn't mean that the person is necessarily more creative/intelligent than 'other' people. I know plenty of morons who play RPGs and plenty of brilliant people who've never heard of them.

*shrugs*

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Those social groups were a bit weird. They sounded more like musical genres to me. Music isn't a social group.

10. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Well Harbourboy, all the goths are united by their taste in music and clothing style, though those people could probably not name a track by 'The Mission' or 'Sisters of Mercy' to save their lives.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Neither can I. Does that make me a goth too?

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

hahahah only if you wear black lipstick and eyeliner

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31

His avatar's black - does that count? :shake:

14. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ha, but does he know where the Sisters of Mercy got their name?

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

lol :p don't really know, never really thought about it

16. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I agree with JSBB, there should have been an option for "used to, but not anymore". Apart from that, most of the questions were very good. An exellent poll ;)

17. Elendil Gems: 7/31

Precisely, those two question don't put it as a fact that RPG gamers ARE more intelligent or creative than others, they aim at your opinion on the topic. There was a survey in the early 80s which brought the results that TRPG gamers belive that they are very imaginative, creative and intelligent.
    We are not going to argue about that, at least because this is the wrong forum and I believe that Tal would react promplty and harshly ;) .

I'd at least agree that CRPG gamers are more imaginative and demand a more profound game experience than the lot who play, let's say FIFA (no pun intended)...

You are very right, but many subcultures indetify strongly with a type of music. I was aiming also at the, let's say, clothing habits, socializing and, off course, musical preferences...
    I just couldn't explain that, because of lack of space. Maybe I shoud have formed everything in a different way.
    That's why I've put rock, metal, punk, etc. in the same group, I was trying to place people with, let's say "alternative" tastes/preferences/lifestyles, on one side, than more "mainstream-oriented" people on the other, than also Ravers, Techno-luverz, blah - blah...
    And it felt somehow stupid to write Metalheads, Punkers, Rockers, or anyhing, so I just decided to go with the genre names...
    Those names could work in Croatian, but I didn't know how would they work bluntly-translated into English. :)

And yes, I know that "All the time" sounds silly in some questions, I admit that I was too lazy to think of something else. I just copy/pasted it from another survey... :heh:

Anywayz, thanks a lot for answering! And I thought that 15 people would be good...

18. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Here goes:

1. 8 women. I've probably offended? 6 at least (I'm slippling...)

2. 26 to 38. Getting old, but not there yet...

3. Sometimes for Tabletop RPG's. Would like to play more often, but have nobody to play with...

4. Books and Magazines: sometimes. I've been meaning to get through the LotR, HHGttG series, but ADHD limits my ability to read...

5. Sites: often. This one and a few others that I'm a regular on...

6. Computer RPG's 3. Neverwinet Nights, Morrowind and a LotR one for the X-box...

7 MMORPG: no. On dial-up, and really don't have the time to play enough to get my monthly fee's worth...

8. Part of the Identity? Important to me. Gnarfflinger was the name of one of my favourite characters and was what popped into mind when I needed something unique for an e-mail address (and stuck on several sites...)

9. Music. Didn't see the may pick four until just now. But I'm a metal head. I like going to the concerts...

10. Affiliation: Metalhead. I had a blast at Slayer/ Judas Priest, Metallica and Motley Crue shows, and am hjoping that my cousin has some cancelations for System of a Down and Megadeath...

11. Education: College. I did go to college, but it really didn't do much for me in the long run. It got me interested in things I really couldn't handle academically (again, ADHD).

12. Politics: I think I class as right wing with the way I've been running my mouth here.

13: Religion: Christian.

14. More Creative? Mostly yes. Most players want an enjoyable, memorable, unique and effective character, and that takes creativity to achieve.

15. More intelligent? Mostly yes. You have to have some degree of mental accuity to understand the rules of some of the games...

19. Elendil Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Hey, this is good practice - if anyone else would like to write something explanatory like Gnarfflinger, fell free to do so...
    Something like that could be really interesting and useful.
    Thanks to Gnarfflinger for being the first :thumb:

20. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I try to help...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.