1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poker

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Apeman, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Does anyone play poker here? I started playing for fun a few months ago and it's a really enjoyable game. I coughed up 50$ at Pokerstars and started playing small buy inn Tourney until I won 400$, came in seventh, first place was worth over 2000$.

I play no limit texas hold'em BTW just as the world series of poker. So anyone else interested in the game?

2. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

A friend of mine just bought a poker set (for lack of a better term), with cards and chips. We tried it out without any actual money (texas hold'em) and it was great fun. We're planing on staring poker nights where everyone puts up 20€ or something. It's fun to watch on TV too.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've been tempted to give it a go, but it seems like a viscious cycle I'd rather avoid. I waste enough money on betting as it is, without getting into on-line poker.

4. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I've experimented with no money Texas Hold'em on the internet, to see what it was like. Fun, but I sucked.

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Does strip poker and other kinds of funny variants of poker you play when you're drunk count? :shake:

6. Lantus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Poker: Five card draw and double draw. I love playing them with friends. Even though we are underage, we... we don't gamble though... of course not...

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

i know how to play but i'm not good at all. my friends take it very seriously though and play for pretty high stakes all the time. it's fun but i don't like to play when the buy-in is high.

8. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I play poker. My friends and I usually hold a poker night at least once a month, and we play Texas Hold em & 7 card stud.

9. Lawless Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

My fave is texas hold em. Spent four hours playing last nite for sixteen quid and still lost. I played omaha for the first time last week and cant stand it.

So much fun though.

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

@Lawless

Where do you play?

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Used to play years ago but haven't recently. Can't see much fun to playing on line. I want to see peoples faces and body language.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Poker is an extremely entertaining game that I have enjoyed playing for years. I think that ESPN has made huge strides in popularizing the game by televising the World Series of Poker Tournaments on a weekly basis. The only problem I see with it though is that they are hyping Texas Hold 'Em. I see some sense in this, as it makes for very quick hands, and is probably the easiest type of poker to learn how to play (now getting good at Texas Hold 'Em is an entirely different matter).

The problem is that there are so many different poker games, and Texas Hold 'Em is neither the most entertaining, nor the most interactive of games. While there is nothing wrong with the game per se, there are so many better choices for poker games when you're playing among friends.

13. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I watch the poker competitions that come on TV. I find it more fun to watch it, see everyone's cards, and see how they play the hand.

But when I play, I lose my patience and get bored and tired. I haven't tried playing online though. The first night I played with some friends, I managed to win a game. But when we played again a few months later, I already had enough and lost concentration.

I have to agree that Texas Hold 'Em isn't the most profound game. I find that many hands look and play the same way... plus there's not much you can do with two cards. The trouble is, I can't convince my poker buddies to switch games. :(

14. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I don't play online out of principle, you know, the vicious circle and all that... Besides, I think the social element is a big part of why I like the game.

I meet with some friends a few times a month, sometimes more, and play No Limit Texas Hold'em and have a couple of beers - it's great fun, but my game has been suffering a bit lately :(

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I play quite a lot with friends, a few times a month. It has mostly been texas hold ém but lately we have been playing a lot of Omaha or seven card stud. Although only if we got decently skilled players as poker with a bunch of clueless people sucks.

Got friends who play on hte net but I dont, I am hooked on WoW.

16. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I love playing Texas Hold'em! Unfortunately, I am not too good at it. My problem is that I assume people are trying to bluff me too often, and then they are not, and I lose. Apparently, I would rather lose money than lose face by being fooled! It doesn't help that a couple of the guys I play with actually spend time in the rooms of Atlantic City.

17. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I love playing Poker. However, I played Texas Hold'em before it was really popular (in my neck of the woods, in any case), so now I am reluctant to play. I love omaha and seven card stud, though.

However, I HATE gambling. I hate losing money. I have never played poker for real money and never will, mostly because I hate seeing my hard earned money go to someone else. Even when I buy things that I enjoy, I hate seeing the cash go away.

In any case, poker for fun is great, poker for money isn't, Texas Hold'em used to be fun, but Seven Card Stud is better now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.