1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Please help me with a school project

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Damona Silvercloud, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] I have to do a paper for my statistics class, and I have to survey 25 random people, out of a larger population. I need 25 numerical data entries in both one and two digit numbers. Since I don't work around people, and I'm not going to the grocery store and accost random strangers, I thought you lovely people could help me.

My question is: About how many hours do you spend on gaming a week?

Thanks.

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Hmm.. probably about 11 hours a week, although it probably sometimes gets higher than this. Of course this is just gaming. I also spend ridiculous amounts of time in the chatroom :).

3. Xenecor Gems: 10/31

At 2 hours a day, 4 days a week, plus 4 hours of RC I'm at about 12 hours (unless ofcourse I get lucky and get some free time on the weekend....meaning sans children). If that happens it can be anywhere from an extra 2-6 hours ;)

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited March 25, 2002).]

4. C'Jakob Guest

With a good game like BGII, Diablo 2, or Starcraft, I'd probably say 6 - 7 hours a week - 2 or 3 hours on each weekend day and Friday, and then maybe some on the non-Friday weekdays.

But now that it's Spring Break . . . :evil:

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I'm glad to help but I have questions, is that computer gaming? Table Top Role-playing? or both?

I usually play computer games about 6 hours a week on average (unless a new game just came out)and game table top for 8 hours a week. So if you counting both I guess it's around 14 hours a week.

6. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Umm....on average about 16 hours a week. Assuming I don't get caught up in something particularly thrilling (I think I spent a whole weekend on BG2 when it first came out, especially when I first encountered Firkrag and then Kangax).

Note: That average includes computer and P&P game time - but not DM prep time :)

7. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31

Hm, both computer and tabletop is very interesting, I didn't even think of that, but not everyone here plays paper and pencil-type games, so I guess, to get the most possible answers, I'll stick to computer gaming. You can answer however you like, but I'll just use the computer gaming time for my raw data.

I forgot to mention, by all means, don't stop when we reach 25, the more answers I have in my population, the better results I'll have on the paper. The more the merrier!

8. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31

Thank you all for your contributions, I wrote all the entries down that were on that weird Twilight Zone temporary board, plus the ones I got in chat, so I have enough to complete the assignment. You don't have to re-submit your answer.

I appreciate all the help, and thanks for being so quick about it. Did I mention that you guys rock?

9. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31

OK, let me explain something about statistics. There are basically two words you have to keep in mind: seven and extrapolate.

Extrapolate because that's the magical formula of having huge data sets after only actually obtaining half of them (or less). So say you manage to get answers form ten people and on average they play games for 10 hours a week. Make up the other results so that most fall around 10 hours and then have a few above and below this and then of course a few people who don't play at all and maybe one who plays for 30 hours or so - you'll soon get the idea.

Seven: try to have a seven somewhere in your results. It adds authenticity.

Why not try writing your report first, then work out the results according to the most dramatic conclusion. Keep a seven in there somewhere though...

[This message has been edited by Christopher_Lee (edited March 27, 2002).]

10. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

11. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Roughly 10 to 15 depending what is happening in the week and on the weekends.

12. Silverblade Guest

I don't play computer games anymore lately. I finished most of the good games and I am actually waiting for games like Neverwinter Nights and Grand Prix 4, which I will buy the second the are in the stores and then I will play them all day and every day.

13. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

About 2 hours.

14. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I posted this on the temporary page .... but what the heck ...

I only get to play approximately 4 hours a WEEK. Yes, you read that right, 4 hours a week. That is only 0.571428571428571428571428571428571 hours a day (on average) and I'm lucky to get that!

However, when IWD2 comes out and I can have a party of all paladins of various races (just watch me) I will increase my playing time to 0.591428571428571428571428571428571! hehehe I'm so bad! ;)

15. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Uhmm, I think that you should also include platform games. This is because they are technically computers so I'll give my PS1&2 plus my Nintendos(8-bit, super, 64, sega, and dreamcast) my total hours of playing are aproximately 60 hours a week of gaming. This is of course assuming that I sleep 8 hours every night and actually talk to people for 12 hours a week.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  16. Psycho. the fanged rabbit Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I dunno anywhere from four to twelve hour usually no more than twelve though.

17. the god Gems: 13/31

i agree with CL- using prime numbers (e.g. 7) adds authenticity to fake stats. if people continue to provide you with 'whole hour' values (i.e. mathetais), add e.g. a .3 on the ends.

bigger sample size = better results .: (sorry, no symbol for 'therefore') i'm providing you with stats from my housemates:
    investment wanker* = 2hours; blondie* = 4hours; crazy sleep-deprived chef* = 11hours (actually 10, but see above).

(*note that the people are real, but their names have been subtly altered in order for them to retain their anonymity.)

[edit]: wow math', your computer does math? where can i get me one of those? :lol:

[This message has been edited by the god (edited March 29, 2002).]

18. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] the god ... I've never been (i.e. mathetais) before. kind of weird to see my post name referenced in a very techincal manner. Kind of makes me feel both special and dirty at the same time ;)

Regardless, I was trying to give my stats in an honest manner. I found a very cool "special ability" in my computer. If I go to run and type "calc" I get a little calculator on my screen. Then I can take my 4 hours a week, divide it by the seven days of the week, and come up with a per day average! but wait, there's more. I can also cut and paste that number right into a post. I had been thinking of getting rid of this computer, but with special abilities like that, I'd be a fool to let it go!!!!

19. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] six hours a week

20. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31

Actually playing computer games: 0 hours a week.

Looking at game websites: 2-4 hours a week.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.