1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Please explain

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Aldazar, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Just a couple of questions on names I've heard.
    I wanted to knopw if the following are actually short for anything in particular, and if so, what are they short for?

1 - TriBeCa
    2 - SoHo
    3 - ROTC
    4 - RICO

Thanks in advance.

Edit: woo hoo!! 500 posts!!!
    :cool: :D :thumb: :happy: :roll: :rolling: :spin:

2. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

One for me, and i'll sound pretty stupid by asking but what does IMHO or something mean?

3. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Go here.
    It doesn't cover everything, though.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I imagine for the first two, you are referring to the Manhattan area of New York. TriBeCa is short for Triangle Below Canal and SoHo is South of Houston. They both refer to areas bounded by streets in Manhattan.

The only ROTC I know is the Reserve Officer Training Corps.

Dunno about RICO.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    IMHO = In My Honest Opinion
    IMO = In My Opinion :p

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh, all this time I thought it stood for "In My Humble Opinion".

It's a bit silly really, because hardly anyone ever says "In my honest (or humble) opinion" when talking or in any other context other than online.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think most of mean "in my humble opinion" when we write IMHO.

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    The only RICO that I'm aware of is a US federal anti-racketeering law that is commonly used to bring down organized crime figures. It stands for the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have heard people say "In My Honest Opinion" but never in my entire life have I ever heard anyone say "In My Humble Opinion"

Maybe I've just led a sheltered life ;) , haha!

10. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    SOHO(small office/home office):
    A small office or home office consisting of a few users requiring a connection that provides faster, more reliable connectivity than an analog dialup connection.

But I don't think that is the SOHO you looking for :p

11. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

His soho is "SoHo" instead of "SOHO", so it should be the South Houston's "SoHo" instead of the the small office home office's "SOHO".

12. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

@ Blackthorne TA - you were correct in your guess as to what I was referring to with the first two, and thanks. And the ROTC you mentioned is probably the one I was asking about as well, I've heard it mentioned in a lot of movies and TV shows and knew it was something military.

@Rally - thanks for the RICO bit, that sounds exactly like what I was looking for. Another that I've heard in a lot of films and shows but never fully understood.

@Malovae - don't worry, you don't seem that stupid to me for asking, I actually forgot what a lot of those terms meant as well, particularly ROTFLMAO. It took me ages of 'stupid' searching to find out again.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Soho is also the Chinese/Gay/Red Light district of London. I've seen people from other cities refer to similar areas in their own cities as Soho.

14. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

What is ROTC all about anyway? It sounds like it's probably pretty normal military stuff (to a degree) but most of the references I've heard made to it make it out to be a joke or something.

15. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Soho is a very nice part of London... on the surface... :p

16. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.