1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Playthrough with no Arcane Magic, possible?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Rook, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Rook Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hi all,

I'm creating a roleplaying party where I have a background for each character, unfortunately there is no arcane caster in the party! Will it be too difficult without one? I could change the halfling thief into a gnome illusionist/thief if its needed, but I'd prefer not to if its possible to play without an arcane caster.

Party is probably quite a bit underpowered, no multiclasses either!

Dwarf Fighter
    Human Fighter
    Human Ranger
    Halfling Thief
    Human Cleric, or possibly Human Dual Fighter/Cleric
    Human Druid

A possibility, or will this prove too challenging? I'm quite an experienced IE player, but have never attempted a party without a mage or bard. :D

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The game will be harder than it's supposed to, haste and the emotion spells alone triple your physical damage output. But it's possible. Haste potions are rare, so don't waste them.

3. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you have HoW there's a cleric spell that gives you an extra attack, but you'll need to have the same alignment as the cleric. On that note, I'm not even sure what the summonable monsters' alignments are. I would recommend dualing those clerics/druids from fighter, dual them at level 2 if you have to.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  4. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Of course it's possible. I also doubt it would prove to be too much of challenge. Your weakest link is the single class thief, as they are almost pointless, since you hardly need a thief in this game. Also if you don't have Heart of Winter, the druid is going to suck. :)

5. paganinio Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm currently playing through the game without Mages or Bards or anyone who can cast arcane magic. I have the Rogue's Cowl which allows you to cast Blindness and Color Spray once per day, and the Badge of the Brave which allows you to cast Emotion Control: Courage once per day. Also there's an item in the Kuldahar Castle's magic shop that allows you to be Blurred all the time.

What I haven't figured out is whether the Plate Mail+Large Shield on my user will affect those spells. Combined they have an effect of Miscast Arcane Magic +90%. Who cares, I can cast them once per day, so I'll just take the armor off before casting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.