1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Playthrough, umpteenth time.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Goli Ironhead, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

So, after about half a year without the best drug there is, Baldur's Gate, I'm returning, to my 41st playtime. I know the number seems all too high to be true, but I assure you it's real!
    So, now I'm going to run with a themed party from play-by-post rpg characters of mine.
    And the question is: is there any mod that removes the race requirements from the classes? To get as close as possible to the true spirit of the characters, they all would need to be halflings.
    Although I could just SK all of them later on...
    And the other question is: have any revolutionally good mods been released in the past few months I should know about?

And now fo closer inspections about party...
    There's going to be a Druid, most probably vanilla, using axes via the AoE component.
    A Ranger, using spears, either a Stalker or Vanilla.
    Another Ranger, this time an Archer, using slings, and quarterstaffs for the rare close combat.
    A thief, could very well be a Bounty Hunter.
    Now, the fifth character actually doesn't go all the way with the theme, but it's going to be a Sorcerer.
    And sixth, either a Skald or Vanilla Bard.

Anyways, does someone have opinions about it? Also, what would be your opinions about leaving the Sorcerer out, and replacing it with a Ranger/Cleric? This would leave me seriously lacking on the arcane side, having only a Bard, but make the divine spellcasting more powerful.

[ October 14, 2006, 19:39: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I'd take the Sorcerer over the R/C. The two Rangers can offer some minor healing to support the Druid, but without the Sorcerer, the Bard stands alone. To be honest, I don't believe that a standard Bard is really up to it. They can buff themselves well enough, but they are slightly lacking when you need buffs, dispels and offensive magic. Bards simply don't have enough spells slots for that kind of pressure.

3. Old Raven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If you don't mind using SK you could make a dual-class halfling cleric/mage (if it makes sense in your theme). I think you could, at least, but you might have to start with a human, then dual class, and THEN SK to a halfling. This would give you a little clerical power and a "full time" arcane caster.

4. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Well, It actually wouldn't make that much sense, but neither would the Sorcerer. And seeing there's one slot empty anyways, the party originally being that of five, it could go in just as well.
    What level would be appropriate for the dual class, then?
    Weird, even after all these years, I have used dual classing only about twice...

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

This sounds like the kind of thing you should play IWD 2 with. A self-made party won't have any interaction anyway, and it'd be a lot simpler to make in IWD 2.

6. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Yeeah, but I like BG2 more in every aspect :)

7. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

While the +5 bonus merchant sling is a very good anti-lich weapon, slings are otherwise very boring weapons. You might really want to consider long or shortbows for your archer. Better damage, much more variety with ammo types (including elemental damage for trolls), plenty of different and interesting weapons to choose from, and shortbow users can get Gesen.

8. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Hmmh, well, although it wouldn't be very character-wise, I could perhaps still give him a bow, seeing I can think a good explanation for it.

9. Old Raven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

For a dual class, I'd suggest 11 cleric; that's when you get your first lvl 6 spell. You could go for 8 if you can settle for one lvl 5 spells, or wait until 14 if you reeeally want one 7:th lvl spell. Or just multiclass if you want more cleric (you would have to use SK for that too, of course).

10. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Ok, thanks for the advices! Now then, are there any really incredibly, super-duberbly good mods that have been released over the past few months? I've tried to check and see, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
    And on that note, is Improved Anvil any good in your opinions? To this point, I've just used the Weimer's Item Upgrade.

11. Mongerman Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I've been playtesting IA, and I fully recommand it. You can check out my thread 'improved anvil adventure' for more details. As an added bonus, one of the recommanded components is a new druid kit which is pretty poweful.

12. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Ok, thanks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.