1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Playing at a higher resolution/window mode?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Black Magician Girl, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Black Magician Girl Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

So I just got a used copy of the original 4-disc game, and I'm lovin' it. :) However, one thing that bugs me is that I can't find a way to play in a windows mode or at a higher resolution. Is there any way to do so?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Playing in windowed mode is possible, but I don't remember off-hand what you need to do to enable it. I'm sure someone else here knows.

As for playing in a higher resolution, there's no official or unofficial way to do it, unfortunately.

3. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

From memory: ALT + ENTER

should alter window mode on or off, if not it shoudl be an option in the screen options. Do note that I do not recal specifically if PST works in windowed mode, but this is generic for all the other games as well so if it works at all (which it should, using same engine) this should work.

The computer with the game is curentlly unavailable to me per right now.

4. Black Magician Girl Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Tried alt + enter; it didn't work. :(

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If I remember right, there's a parameter to be used with the executable that makes it run in windowed mode.

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    You have to set a variable in the Torment.ini file. Mind you, this is not recommended!

- Go to your Torment directory.
    - Make a backup copy of Torment.ini, for example Torment.bak, in case you make a mistake.
    - Open Torment.ini in a text editor (e.g. Notepad), and set the option "Full Screen" to 0 (zero):

Full Screen=0

Save and close.

7. teardropmina Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I wonder playing in window mode would give you higher resolution. I think 640X480 res is fixed.

there's a BG2 NPC mode that puts Torment areas into the game, which of course can be played with 1024x768 (the best res. to play Infinity Engien game it seems). So is it possible to mod Torment into 1024x768 capable? that would be nice

8. Taluntain

Media:
    Yes, 640x480 is fixed. But playing that at full screen (possibly stretched on most LCD monitors) or windowed is a world of difference. No matter how low the resolution is, if it's windowed, it'll look much smaller, but also much better. No jagged edges, no stretching, etc.

As for areas; the majority of external area bitmaps in the IE games are huge; much larger than any supported resolution. So that doesn't mean anything. The area bitmaps are the least problematic aspect of the supported resolutions. Everything else is, the entire interface, icons, text, fonts, menus, sprites, animations, etc.

9. teardropmina Gems: 1/31

yep, the game window turn quite small. I get your point. Though personally I prefer full screen gaming no matter what (the feeling of inside a world rather than a portion of wallpaper~~) the last time I ran through Torment, I played it on 1600x1200 (20" LCD), using nvidia driver app to pomp anisotropic and antialiasing settings to the highest...well, to me the game looked quite good that way (of course will not be as sharp as in 640x480 window).

well, I really know close to nothing about the working and making of IE games (I'm only a gamers~~). It's just that from playing BG2, if on res. over 1024x768, the game graphic itself (area, character, backgroud etc.) is no better than 1024x768, but (as you mentioned) all the fonts, icons and such all turn blurry. This is why I said that 1024x768 seems to be the best res. to play IE games. I keep my good old 15" LCD just for BG2.

if as you said (bitmaps are the least probmatic) and as many have experienced (playing BG1 on 1024x768 through such mod as BGT and torment areas as part of BG2 mod)...why there isn't a res. upgrading mod for Torment? (or there is one that I don't know~~)

10. Taluntain

Media:
    If nothing else, the game interface needs to be adjusted. This was done in the other IE games to allow for switching to a higher resolution.

As far as I know, no one has done it for Torment yet. The right-click menu would need to be enlarged too, since it'd most likely be too small to use in 1024x768, let alone higher resolutions. I'm sure there are a whole bunch of dependencies there as well, like spell icons, etc.

Coupled with the fact that Torment is hard to mod and that the mod makers who might be able to do it far prefer to mod the more popular IE games, it doesn't look good for Torment.

Though maybe at this point where modding everything else has been done already, some of them might bite into a real challenge. :heh:

11. teardropmina Gems: 1/31

well, go by what you said, it does seem highly unlikely that such mod will be made~~ maybe, it's just the destiny of such "cult classic"? Torment will forever have that 640x480 look as testament to its cult status? ~~

12. Riodan Gems: 1/31

There's a new mod available where you can adjust the resolution for all the infinity games. I've already played in 1024x768 and after 1 hour of play I had no complications. You can choose any resolution you want.
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

13. Taluntain

Media:
  14. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Whoa. WHOA.

Can't wait to see this make it out of beta.

15. vesselle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

when i tried that mod, i had a problem with it. it did make a sharper image, but it was reduced to 1/4 of my screen and was displayed in the upper left of the monitor.

i found it annoying and uninstalled it.

16. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Awesome! The black band at the bottom of the screen looks a bit strange, but it probably won't be this bad at lower resolution (800x600 or 1024x768). It's a good thing PST only has that one bar at the bottom. I wonder though... how does the main menu look and (more importantly) the inventory screen?

17. Eli Wolfswind Gems: 1/31

That would probably be centered to the left. But yes, it is annoying. Hopefully this can be fixed in a later version.

18. Kindo Gems: 1/31

They give you a warning saying that you will "experience a non-fixable crash when entering small areas" in Torment, so I decided not to install it. Are you saying you haven't been experiencing these crashes? Still, I hope development hasn't stopped, seeing how a higher resolution would give a great facelift that this game sorely deserves.

19. Brylee Gems: 1/31

Higher resolution usually results in making the game more immersive and adds beauty to the game. Higher resolution usually lowers the fps of your game, but if your game does not benefit from having fps over 60, the resolution is good if your pc can handle it.

20. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    My experience is that higher resolution results in smaller text and often tiny details are hard to notice if the game needs a pixel hunt to click on some tiny detail for some bonus item.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.