1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Plant Domain and Turn Vermin Special Abilty Questions

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Big B, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] OK, so I beat the OC with my bard finally, and am ready for something better I hope. So I started up SOU with a new character. I'm going for a cleric/ranger.

As for her domains, I chose heal and plant. Now plant domain says she should be able to turn vermin as her special abilty. Now where do I find that? I have looked all over the radial menu, but to no avail. So where did they hide that one? (PS it took me forever to find curse song for my bard. But I searched the radial menu and found it - but no such luck with turning vermin.)

Second, how do I know if something is classified "vermin". Is a kobold vermin? I sure hope so, looks like I'll be fighting a lot of them. Are wererats vermin? Do goblins count as vermin? Where is the line drawn? IMHO, any hostile evil creature is vermin. ;)

Now I tried turn undead in the presence of kobolds to see if the game would automatically switch it over to turn vermin as I cast it, but no such luck there either.

Any ideas?

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

It turns vermin WHILE turning undead.

IIRC beetles and spiders might be the only opponents classified as "vermin" in the game. Not so sure about those two either.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm pretty sure that rats are vermin.

4. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    As was said, the only creatures in the game that count as vermin are the kind that tend to make people go "Eeek, it's a ______".

This limited use is why the Plant domain isn't all that used.

5. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Spiders count, and I must wonder about ooze? Oh, and by the by, be careful when multiclassing during SOU, depending on when you do it you may end up with a ranger who is unable to hit anything and a cleric whose spells don't quite cut it.

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hmm...I've used Plant domain plenty of times...but NEVER for the turning ability (I just never use turn undead) so I wouldn't be able to help you.

However, Plant is VERY much worth it just for Barkskin and Creeping Doom (IIRC)...Barkskin gives you +5 Natural Armor bonus and lets you use Periapts of Wisdom, whereas Creeping Doom disregards Spell Resistance completely, and when cast extended...ooh, NASTY! :D

7. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

@Celesialraven: Multiclassing like that almost always makes a character that's playable in the OC. Really, a Cleric/Ranger, no matter how badly multiclassed, should always be able to survive, as long as one knows how to play.

8. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] OK, so what I am understanding is just use the turn undead when I am around "vermin" and the game automatically takes it from there.

I also get that "vermin" does not consist of a whole lot. That's okay. I chose plant domain for more of a roleplaying perspective than gaming. As for hardships in a ranger that can't hit and a cleric that can't cast anything worth casting, I say bring it on baby. A ranger/cleric is always a forced to be reckoned with. ;)

And yes Barkskin and Creeping Doom help seal the deal.

So what's an estimate in the number of character levels I can potentially achieve in SOU? And does it make sense storywise to export my SOU character into the HotU expansion? If then, what kind of character levels can I hope to achieve?

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Your SoU character is assumed to be the same one in HotU, and the levels in HotU are designed to start at the point SoU left off.

10. Halucien Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Regarding the porting of characters, I heard that one cannot port characters over to a SoU game. But could one port a SoU character over to OC?

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I believe you can import characters however you want, but it'll get a bit silly if you have a character who is too high or too low for the module.

12. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Oh you can port characters to SoU from the OC, but they'd be grossly overpowered and the module would be pretty much ruined. SoU is designed to start characters at lv1, so importing them doesnt really make sense.

@Taza
    I know that characters like that would be playable in the OC, with more levels to buffer one's decisions, but at that point Big B was talking specifically of SoU, which has a low max char level, and thus requires a lot of forethought in the whole level planning process, hence my warning.

[ August 30, 2006, 03:44: Message edited by: Celesialraven ]

13. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

You'll finish SoU at around level 12. HOTU is suggested for starting level 15, but you will have no problems with your level 12 character at the beginning of HOTU.

For one thing, the game scales many encounters down to your level, and for a second thing the XP scales to your level, so your level 12 character with get 8,000xp for killing a single drow cleric!

Option B is to download one of the several player-community-made modules on nwvault.com which were designed as transition adventures to tie SoU into HOTU and bring your SOU character up to level 15.

14. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

IIRC, any characters lower than 15 levels that are imported to HotU will automatically recieve experience points enough for it to level up to 15. Also, any items (except gold) that your import character brings to HotU will be stripped away in the beginning. You will be given replacement gears though.

15. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Actually, if you are less that level 12, then you can level up to 15. If you are 12 or over, then you keep your current level.

The equipment stripped off of you will be available just before Chapter II.

16. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Another turning question: I am a paladin 3/ fighter 4/ cleric 7.

What will my turning level be? The highest between my paladin and cleric levels? Or the sum of the two?

17. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Turning undead between Paladin and Cleric will be determined by which got the highest turning level (not necessarily highest class level). In your case, it's the Cleric class.

18. Harbourboy

So your Paladin turning levels are effectively wasted.

19. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Ya, wasted for undead turning, but useful for the immunities and bonus to saving throws.

20. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Only insects and arachnids count as vermin, oozes count as "oozes" (that being they utilize ooze hit dice and traits). Also all vermin have an Int of -, any vermin like creature with intelligence is a magical beast or abberation. Beetles and spiders are vermin in NWN. NWN fails to utilize of the higher level vermin. Anyway the plant domain should allow you to rebuke/commond plant creatures, but seeing as there are no plant creatures in NWN, that kind of throws a wrench in that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.