1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Planescape world

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Pentagrama, Jul 24, 2000.

1. Pentagrama Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I think that the planescape world is much cooler then sowrd coast. i wonder if there any other games being developed in the planescape world (i realy would like to visit the limbo plane) :).

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Same here. Planescape fascinated me aswell. It's a fresh world so different from FR...
    But alas, same as there are only like 5 Planescape novels out there, there aren't any games either. Planescape: Torment is the only exception to the rule. It is a magnificent game worth replaying many times (at least to me it is).
    But it seems that everything that varies from the established fantasy world like Forgotten Realms doesn't sell well... Torment got a bunch of awards and everybody praised it sky high and yet only like one tenth of the people that bought BG bought Torment too.
    To quote Einstein here: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. Although I'm not entirely sure about the first one."
    Change stupidity to ignorance here if you will...
    In case you didn't get the message, oh clueless berk that hasn't purchased Torment yet, do it now! :rolleyes:
    You'll be doing yourself a favor.

3. Pentagrama Gems: 1/31

I think the game sold so little because people haven't been exposed to it like they were exposed to "BG" or . I mean when "BG" came out it was a dry market for the RPG's and "BG" was so big, revolutionary and full of content that i drew many people to it not just RPG players but people who liked adventure games to (because the game had a great story) so that's why it sold so much. While "BG" was shown as a revolutionary game "PS:T" was shown as a game that requires many reading with the same engine as "BG" but a smaller world. Even the demo (from the bg disk) showed as strange world with no hints for what the game is ought to be, and so people that so it thought that they should stick to "BG" and not spend money for a game with strange world, only 1 charecter and the same engine as "BG" but smaller world. In the future (although i'm not a profecional) i sugest the publisher to spent some money on advertisement because it is a great game whith although 1 charecter he is more interesting than all the char's in "BG" the plot is X10 better and the playing world is so bizar and attractive that u can't stop playing.

4. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] This is the first time I've ventured into the backwaters known as the Planetscape: Torment board and I'm not impressed. If Planetscape was such a good game, then why was it not such a big success? It had plenty of advertising and promotion. The answer is because it just wasn't as good as Baldur's Gate.

P.S. To Pentagrama,
    Learn how to spell :rolleyes:

5. FeralWolfgirl Gems: 1/31

I'd like to know why you are playing the elitist, Gunthar. You didn't even bother to give any reason for your opinions. Instead, you simply waltzed in and essentially said, "You guys are all idiots, and Baldur's Gate is better than Planescape: Torment."

People have different tastes in all things. There was no reason to pull such a superior act. For me, the choice was simple, since I tried Baldur's Gate, lost interest, and never bothered to finish it. However, Planescape: Torment kept me interested because I enjoyed its atmosphere and story more. The Nameless One, with a more deep story from the start, fascianted me much more than the main character of Baldur's Gate who was rather lacking in personality. Yeah, there is some cheapness, but definite challenges also exist.

If you wish, I shall expand on this, but please explain yourself more first.

6. Wingfoot Guest

as you say, people have different tastes, thats why i wnet thru BG numerous times, and i got bored w/ PT five minutes after i installed it. i just dont like the slow dialouge and character creation is odd, i like starting with a character i want, not Something you mold into who knows what.

[This message has been edited by Wingfoot (edited August 22, 2000).]

7. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] I likie both games, but I prefer Planescape's style of play, with interaction with NPC's being emphasised over the slog through this dungeon style of play. It also had a better and less prdictable plot than BG.

8. Wingfoot Guest

i will no doubt try PT again, i only, made it to the hive and then stopped. i started playing IWD and am now bored w/ it and BG. i need something to pass the time until BG2 and NWN come out, plus i paid 15 bucks for PT so i feel that i should finish it.

9. Pentagrama Gems: 1/31

If u got to the hive that mean's u got through the most boring part of the game (i hate the beginning :)) but from now on the game will improve and get more interesting and the story will slowly unfold...

10. Wingfoot Guest

i'll check it out, but first i have to figure out why i cant get the Full Install method correct. its been a while since i have tried so i cant remember what i was doing wrong.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  12. Wingfoot Guest

[​IMG] i just cant play this game. i got the full install down, played for 2 days and quite again. it just doesn't hold my interest. when i started my game, it took me 3 hours just to get to the Hive. theres too much dialogue and the Nameless One moves to slow for me.

after unistalling PT, i stared playing IWD, and it seemed so fast that i thought something was wrong at first. i have finally given up on PT, i guess i lost the 15 bucks i spent on it.

13. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

[​IMG] I always found that Planescape generally played faster than IWD and BG. Maybe it's just me.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    Wingfoot, you can run in Torment by holding shift down... there's also a switch in the Options to turn Run Always ON... that's the only way to play it.

15. Casey Chaos Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I don't think this argument is about whether PS plays better than BG at all (although personal taste bears some impact), but about the huge conservatism tagged onto the RPG market, in particular those products using the AD&D system. BG was great, and everyone could live out their 'wandering through forests to bash ogres' fantasies. However it was so traditional in both plot and implementation that it seemed a bit cliche ridden. I mean, how many wizardly-foster-father-get's-killed-only-to-be-avenged-by-adopted-demigod-son can there be? BG never really threw anything new at the gamer, and as such made for 'comfortable' playing. Everyone knew what was going to happen, but it was fun acting out, what in all honesty was, a linear plot. PS has so different a narrative, and menacing atmosphere, that people who expected more of BG were probably put off by floating skulls, a inter-planar city, and a PC who can have his own intestines removed :) My mate bought it having played BG non-stop for months and hated it. Why? Because it was different; there wasn't an elf in sight. Sure the mausoleum is a bit dull, but perseverence has never paid off so much in creating an absorbing, and genuinely involving experience.

So as BGII dawns, can we expect a PSII? I sadly doubt it. Whilst PS holds intelligence, style, and drama, at the end of the day sales are what matters for the publishers, and it would seem without jumping on the old Forgotten Realms bandwagon, 'revolutionary' RPG's are going to be confined to the outskirts of the industry. This can't be put soley down to the publishers or developers though, but the orthodox RPG community as a whole has to push these products to appeal to a mainstream audience. It would seem that most RPG heads would rather walk through another orc infested expedition than lark about with talking skulls and succcubi. Let's just hope BGII isn't as traditionally familiar as it may turn out to be, and offers some refreshing take on a quickly staling genre, eh cutter?

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Well said to our addle-coved clueless friends out there.
    A canny berk this Casey is. Don't stop the wigwag. (Wanna learn the chant properly? There's a glossary in the Torment section of the site).

A whole topic consisting of nothing but messages written in the Planescape jargon would be fun to try out. http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/glossary.php
    If I get enough interested candidates we might attempt it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  17. HellSpawn Gems: 1/31

I've played BG, PS:T and now recently IWD... and out of the three I would rate BG the lowest. I've only played through each once, and if I were to play one again it would probably be PS:T (to try diff classes for the nameless one - plus I liked the story better). I guess part of the reason I didn't like BG as much as the others was because I played a class that I found I didn't really like (BG was my 2nd RPG game after the Darksun series awhile back - so I didn't know much about classes etc). I also found BG a little slow with more useless encounters/areas than the other games... like fighting monsters while travelling from one place to another (quickload... :))

I liked the dialog and interactivity in PS:T, but I also liked the hack and slash of IWD as well. However I did lose interest in both BG and PS:T for awhile, and stopped playing halfway through... picking them up again two or three months later and finishing them. To this date I still haven't played BG:TOSC which I bought, and with BG2 coming I probably never will. IWD was so linear and fun, that I played it through all at once.

I'm really looking forward to BG2 since it seems like it will incorporate the best of all 3 games (NPC interactivity, good story, combat, graphics, etc). However with a reported 250-300 hours of gameplay, it'll probably take me a year to finish it at the rate I play :).

18. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

[​IMG] I have to say that the planes are a much more interesting place to roleplay through in D&D as well as on the computer. There's just so much more interesting things that can happen and a much more varied settings.

19. Rayden_X Gems: 1/31

I played Planescape - Torment like there was no tomorrow, I totally hated BG1...it just didn't suit my taste, but PS-T was a real gem, a greatly done game with all that I could ever ask for in such a game...recently when I lost interest in Diablo 2, I took out my copy of PS-T and went through it a third time, this time as a thief, which I never had the time to try...especially when you're an 18 year old college student in Malaysia (this is above Singapore) and NO, contrary to what a some westerners think, we don't live like apes over here :) Okay, okay my bottom line is, PS-T is such a better game than BG1 or IWD and BG2 is basically BG1 with sugar and spice added, which should have been there from the beginning...my oppinion is, the Planescape multiverse is more interesting and involving for a gamer to sit through, rather than Forgotten Realms which is "Oh, So Repetitive & Predictable"...The Damned One signing off...ciao guys...Nameless One, I share your torments, your regrets and yes, there really is something that CAN change the nature of a man :) GOD! I love this game!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.