1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Planescape: Torment Speed Run

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Taluntain, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, it's had to happen sooner or later. Later in this case.

A guy rushes through Torment in an hour and a minute. It's a shame that the video quality is so bad; hopefully a higher quality version will be available soon.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The first two words that occurred to me were "Impressive" :eek: closely followed by "Blasphemy!" :skeptic: I'm quite impressed but you just can't do that to Torment.

3. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Just plain blasphemy here... :eek:

That guy doesn't deserve to touch the game anymore...

I mean... It's Torment, not a bloody Roadrunner cartoon!

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It does feel strange to try and do this in Torment of all games, but it's been done for most of the other (or was it all?) of the IE games, so why not I suppose.

5. Minstrel Wandering Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I concur that this be blasphemy!

Such a tale was never meant to be rushed through like this...

6. Thrasher91604

Thrasher91604 For those who know ...

Ah, well although blasphemous, it does seem that many new players are fixated about the game's length, and want to know how they can play through it quickly.

To those people, I say, don't bother, it's a waste, unless you're totally obsessed with putting another notch in your mouse.

7. gpcelina Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

What's the point in rushing through an RPG if you can't enjoy it. Hey if that kid wants to run he should get off his duff and run for an hour and one minute in RL! and get his keister off the PC. LOL
    How long did he have to sit around messing with the game in order to be able to accomplish that?
    His parents should be proud! hehehe

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  8. nunsbane

nunsbane

How utterly beside the point.

I apprecitate the clever manipulation of gameplay which allows a gamer to speed through a game in such a short time that it is unlikely that anyone will ever best the effort. But, Torment is a special case and should not even be subjected to a time run.

9. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Heresy!

I get the Idea! I mean Speed runs in shooter and arcade games are a feat of talent. But in an RPG it makes no sense!

With a RPG like Torment, with thousands of lines of text one should rather attempt at speed reading than running!

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I think it's pretty cool. I haven't completed the game yet, and am taking my sweet time talking to a ton of different people.

Speed runs are for people who know a game inside and out and are just looking for a new way to do things, kinda like playing an RPG with no reloads.

11. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't get why you all get so worked up about this. It's not like he's ruining your experience of PST by doing this; and one must admit it's pretty damn impressive what he's managed to accomplish here. Not that I can personally see the fun in speed runs, but if some people enjoy it then who am I to judge?

And yours must be proud that you wasted all those countless hours actually playing the game and spekaing to everyone? It's not like your way of playing is any less of a waste of time... All gaming is pretty much just wasting time :p.

12. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

So says a former WoW addict.

13. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Reminds me of a Diablo speed run I saw once. Guy finished in 7:50. No joke (although I suspect he either exploited or reloaded a lot to get that 7:50. ;) Now where was that link...)

14. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yep, so I should be the voice of authority on this one since I know first-hand just HOW much a waste of time games can be :p.

15. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's been at 6:07 for some time now. Basically, he cut the run into many tiny segments and used extreme luck manipulation to get the time down this far. Quite amusing to watch, actually.

I don't really understand all the negative replies here to the speedrun of PS:T. Like Klorox said, it's just another way of continuing to play the game. It requires a lot of knowledge of the game itself, like what is required in order to progress, what are the various triggers, and then culling that down to the bare necessities.

While speedrunning first person shooters and platform games (amongst others) may be a show of skill in that particular game (though I know from experience that it's more about perseverance than skill, actually), speedrunning a RPG is more of a show of the person's knowledge of the game and the exploits in the game engine, and then planning around that to see what you really need to finish the game.

Perhaps some of you will be able to appreciate these speedruns of BG in an amazing 16:35 segmented and a no less amazing 24:30 single segmented (that is, a no reload game), this segmented run of BG2:SoA in 41:31, and the segmented run of BG2:ToB in 36:52.

As some of the people here are always looking for ways to make any of the BG games more challenging, I'm sure that they'd agree that a speedrun would be an interesting, different challenge from just upping the difficulty of the game all the time, especially since you're playing the game for the bazillionth time again anyway.

I just watched the ToB run and was delighted by the cheese shown in this run. For instance, I didn't know you could kill Yaga-Shura without going through the trouble to get his heart, but he's done it anyway. And I don't think many people here can claim to have beaten Melissan with only a lvl 21 character either ;)

/edit
    More stuff: there's a run of Icewind Dale as well.
    And, if you're interested, here's the link to the main site of the Speed Demos Archive. Go to Game List and you'll be able to look at all the games this site hosts speedruns for (all including vids). If you happen to come across the Red Faction run, then yes, that's mine ;)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] We've had separate threads in the other game forums for their speed runs, so anyone interested can check there for past discussions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.