1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Planescape Survival Guide! (comic)

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Swiftbow, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Swiftbow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This is Planescape related, but, since it's not directly related to Torment, this seemed like the better place to post it.

Anyway! I put out a weekly (for the most part) online comic called Planescape Survival Guide. It features the misadventures of some hapless heroes sent on a mission to save the very Multiverse from absolute destruction. Chapter 2: Tempest Rising, has just begun, with Episode 51 updating soon!

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

It's rather sad that the best piece of art in there is something you copied from a source book. Specifically, that "map" of the planes, which I remember from my 2e DMG (it's just before the magic items tables, so I've seen it a lot). Keep working, though; there's a slight bit of improvement between the first comic and the last.

3. Swiftbow Gems: 1/31

I think the improvement's been a bit more drastic than that, since the earlier comics used to black and white and I have recently colored them. I find it kind of strange that you'd find that little pic of the Planes from the DMG (which is cited, btw) to be better looking than this pic of the Planes I drew myself: http://swiftbow.comicgenesis.com/Chapter2.html
    but to each his own. Thanks for checking it out!

4. Felinoid

That was a map? :confused: Anyway, yes, I suppose I never saw the first comics in their unaltered state so I can't comment on that. But in their altered state I think there's just a small bit of improvement between the first and the last. Artistic improvement takes time, though.

The story, OTOH, is very good, if somewhat hard to pick up. For example, I didn't realize the other group(s) would be recurring characters until about their third appearance.

5. Swiftbow Gems: 1/31

Well, no the big chapter pic wasn't a map. I'm gonna have to make my own, I guess! Thanks for the compliments! I'm slowly fixing the black and white episodes, where I think a lot of the confusion stems from. (the old black and white eps are linked to at the bottom of the recolored ones, if you're curious about how bad they used to look. I'm a bit amazed that I was ever satisfied with non-color)

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *adds to reading list*

I like, and agree with Fel :)

7. lizardpudding Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I think its kind of sad that felinoid feels the need to pick at your work like that...I'm just going to pat you on the back, congratulate you on your talent, and thank you for providing such interesting stuff!
    neato!

8. Felinoid

Okay, let's get one thing straight. When I see something that I think needs improvement, I'm going to tell you about it. (In this case, I'd say it's your 'tude, lp. ;) ) Ara shows me her writing, and she can attest to that. I'm not going to ignore a problem just to help boost a starting artist's ego, but I'm also not going to ignore the good parts either. You'll notice Swiftbow said, "Thanks for the complements!", so I imagine he saw what you have not. :p

As for the slight hostility in the first post, I was reacting to what I thought was blatant stealing of other peoples' hard work. When it turned out I was wrong...you'll notice it's absent from the second post.

Oh, and Swiftbow? Let us know when you've finished the changeovers to color. I'd be interested to see the difference between the B&W ones I've seen (in the middle of the arc) and their new colorized versions. :)

9. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I like it too, reminds me slightly of Turn Signals On A Land Raider for no good reason. That's a good thing.

Lizardpudding, Fel is right to post his honest opinion. If he were to read some creative work I posted, then I'd rather have his honest opinion so I could improve, rather than saying something nice when there's a glaring mistake that could be fixed.

10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I haven't had time to read through the whole thing but I do find it interesting. Having played Planescape may have something to do with the fun of reading/seeing this.

A comment on criticism; a much mis-understood word. Criticism is good. We learn from others and if we truly wish to improve we ask for criticism. to critique something means you point out what you like and how you feel something can be improved.

11. Swiftbow Gems: 1/31

I certainly appreciate criticism. I like compliments even more, but I like to know what I can improve. Though it is possible to be rather hard on yourself, it can definitely take an outside opinion to see all the mistakes one is making. And what can be really nice is seeing criticism from people who have obviously read all the episodes, which means I have them hooked ;)

I definitely will tell you all when I finish colorizing the old ones, I'm just painfully slow, lol. I was originally planning to go back and color another one this week, but here it is already Saturday and I've got to go and make an all NEW episode again.

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I like it, and I do agree the difference between the old and new versions is significant. For me it's not so much the colours but the addition of shading and actual backgrounds that makes all the difference.

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Hey, art needs a little improving, I would agree with Felinoid, yes, but every artist worships constant improving for the better, eh?

I do not know much about Planescape, after playing PST game, I have little insight and it is good to see those things I learned (Sigil, gates, the Lady etc) in your comic. Cool! I haven't seen any comic about PS, no?

14. Felinoid

Hmm, having gone back and compared the B&W versions and the color versions, I'd say Swiftbow's right. That's a LOT of improvement. Still a ways to go, but I'd say he's making good progress. Now if only they didn't each take two minutes to load on my dial-up... >_>

15. Swiftbow Gems: 1/31

Did I mention I'm slow? ;)

In any case, I colored Episode 25, and recently finished a prologue segment that I think lends additional clarity to the whole story.

16. X_Spearmint Banned

Nice story there.

Swiftblow, I'm curious, have you picked up any books or gone through any tutorials to help you progress with your artwork?

17. Swiftbow Gems: 1/31

Hey thanks, X_Spearmint :D

And yes, I have a number of books I often reference, including a new one I got for Christmas. I've been trying to improve the general anatomy of my characters. I hope it shows? :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.