1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Phoenix Point - AMA with Julian Gollop

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Mar 14, 2019.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]The Reddit AMA with Julian Gollop about Phoenix Point and the Epic Games Store decision.

[​IMG]

HerrJemine
    56 points 10 hours ago

A lot of backers choosed a higher tier to get access to the first two DLCs. Do those get the difference back or at least some other compensation?

JulianGollop

LEAD DESIGNER 11 points 9 hours ago

The living weapons / chitin armour is actually a single DLC pack, and will remain exclusive to backers. You will also get at least 3 DLC packs free over the course of the year.

-

Sharillon
    63 points · 10 hours ago

Question: Backers who backed the game from China can't even install the Epic Launcher, since Epic Games actively blocks the Launcher there. Why do they have to wait 1 year now because you decided that?

How could I, as a backer, even play the game in China? I could easily do it via GOG or Steam.

Business Guy-17 points · 9 hours ago

We're looking into our options for China right now, and hope to have something to share on that topic soon.
    MRIchalk

-

Epic does not, so far as I'm aware, have a 'workshop' like Steam does. Does this affect the sense or extent to which PP will be mod-friendly,
    and can you clarify further yet how modding is expected to be facilitated?

JulianGollop

LEAD DESIGNER 11 points 9 hours ago

We will be supporting some limited modding post-release, but it will not come before the first major DLC.
    We don't know yet what modding support Epic will be providing in the future, but we will provide a custom solution if necessary.

-

JulianGollop
    LEAD DESIGNER 26 points 9 hours ago

Phoenix Point will be DRM free, and will run without the Epic Launcher. You can uninstall it after downloading or updating, and the game will run fine.
    You can even add it to your Steam library manually. All backers will get at least 3 major DLC packs throughout the year. If you only want to play on Steam/gog.com, you will get a Steam/gog key after the exclusive year has ended which will include all the DLC up to that point. Yes, we did expect some people to be upset by the Epic deal, and we did not make this decision lightly. We have enough resources to release the game, but the Epic deal will help the game enormously in terms of quality and post-release content. It helps give our employees security and gives them the confidence they can get the job done, despite the stress and high expectations.

-

Salty_Marshmallows
    9 points · 9 hours ago

"Major" DLC? Are there going to be "Minor" packs that backers do not have access to? (Disregarding Pre-order bonus such as living armour)

JulianGollop
    LEAD DESIGNER 14 points 9 hours ago

There will be some free content updates as well.

-

MrRatt
    40 points · 10 hours ago

I'm looking at getting a refund, because I do not want to support the Epic Game Store and their exclusivity purchases such as the one that just happened with Phoenix Point.

Why are you unable to provide the refund via the payment method? I'm sure I'm not in the minority of being uncomfortable with handing my bank account information over to a third party.

Business Guy
    19 points · 10 hours ago

Because we are offering refunds to anyone who purchased from the Fig campaign (almost two years ago) until today, we literally can't refund via original payment method because too much has elapsed in many of these cases.
    After extensive research and testing of a number of methods (including PayPal), this is the most efficient way for us
    to process a significant number of refunds to people in many different countries around the world.
    They have a 9.2 rating with TrustPilot (https://www.trustpilot.com/review/transferwise.com) and
    we use them ourselves to transfer money to pay studio salaries every month.

-
    elusiveElk
    18 points · 9 hours ago

I think it's fair to say that the marketing for this game so far has suggested an experience that will in some ways fall closer to "old" than "new" xcom, as a tactical or strategic experience. Is there any element of the design direction in X-COM: UFO DEFENSE and its direct sequels that you would say was a mistake? Anything you're trying to avoid in this new game, when it comes to how players will react to it?

JulianGollop
    LEAD DESIGNER 21 points 9 hours ago

Good question. There were certainly big problems with the original X-COM - lack of tutorials, poor interface, lack fo feedback, fiddly inventory management. We are taking a few lessons from modern XCOMs, while keeping and improving on some stuff in the old ones. Phoenix Point also takes some ideas from X-COM Apocalypse, with multiple human factions and agendas. I want it to have more of a simulation / sandbox feel, but with some strong story lines from each faction.

-
    Arioch_RN
    20 points 10 hours ago

Free DLC - with the new influx of money, will the missed funding goals from the Fig be implemented as part of the free DLC? The sea missions, floating bases etc?

JulianGollop
    LEAD DESIGNER 22 points 10 hours ago

Yes - all the proposed DLC from the Fig campaign will be implemented, plus more.
    We plan at least 3 major DLC packs which include new missions, storylines, aliens, equipment etc.
    Backers who ordered the living weapons/armour sets will get those as an exclusive DLC pack in addition.
    We will be supporting the game with extra content as soon as possible after release and throughout the following year.
    We are definitely in it for the long haul.

-

IsaiasSkywalker
    11 points · 9 hours ago edited 9 hours ago

Epic games hate blah blah all that, but besides the hate, I still have genuine questions.

Will there be an action cam similar to Xcom2s? I loved seeing a close of up of my soldier or an alien getting blown away, I would at least like the option.

How many voice lines will you be adding, mostly for aliens, because if I hear that alien say that damn line one more time while he shoots me i'm gonna flip.

Would it be possible to add some old time war weaponry and such? I know its all futuristic and stuff but if there are rag tag teams in cities I would imagine they don't get the top of the line gear.

Ragdoll physics, this is small thing to me but I think they go a long way in making the game just have that feel, will you be improving them? For example reactions to multiple shots, even after death etc. This is also another reason why I loved the action cam in Xcom2, even though it didn't have the best physics.

Action cam tho pls.

JulianGollop
    LEAD DESIGNER 13 points 9 hours ago

Yes absolutely - there will be plenty (you will also be able to turn them off if you wish).

The aliens will have quite a few more barks in BR4, with more yet to come. Soldiers will also get them.

The independent havens have soldiers that look like bandits with rough looking weapons. Still from the future though.

Yes, we will be improving them, during our polish phase. The environment destruction will also be getting a major overhaul.

-

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2019
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.