1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pens Sign Malkin

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Gnarfflinger, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

This could go in the Alleys, but because it's a Sport's story, I thought I should start it here.

Evgeni Malkin has signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Malkin basically quit on his Russian team when they wouldn't release him to go to the NHL, attempting to hold the Penguins up for millions of dollars in the process because Russia has not signed the transfer agreement with the NHL like the rest of the European nations have.

Malkin's Russian club is threatenning law suits against Malkin, the Penguins and the NHL. Basically, the Penguins drafted Malkin 2nd over all in 2004, and he was promised that he would be released at the end of the 2005-06 season. That didn't happen, and they tried to keep him for two more years if the Penguins didn't pony up 20 million bucks. Malkin's agent renegotiated the deal to one year, but when the club started training camp in Finland last month, Malkin buggered off and surfaced in LA. He filed his two weeks notice with his Russian team then quit.

Comments anyone?

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, it's basically extortion, but given the financial difficulties the Penguins have and are still experiencing, it was laughable for the Russians to think the Pens were going to come up with $20 million anyway. That having been said, the Pens now have two of the best young players in the game. If they can't start to turn things around soon, I don't know what else they can do...

3. Gnarfflinger

What the penguins need is a new arena, which can accomodate more revenue streams, and perhaps make the fans who pay for tickets more comfortable while watching the game. Then show it off with an All Star Game...

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That would help, but who will pay for this stadium? It's going to be hard to garner support from the public to pay for the stadium via taxes when they are fielding a perennial loser. It's been years since the last time the Pens made the playoffs, and let's face it, with 16 teams making the playoffs every year, you don't even have to be average to qualify. Further, expecting ownership to front the money is also tough, because the franchise is going bankrupt. It's like pouring more money into a sinking ship.

5. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    That's why the owners (including Mario Lemieux) are in a lot of sale talks. Dan Marino, the football player, and some business men came close to buying the team this summer. Now, rumor has it that RIM (Rechearch In Motion, the makers of the black berry) are in negotiations to buy the team. The thing is, like you noted, whatever happens the Pens need cash for a new arena. It's the oldest in the League, and it's falling appart.

As for Malin per se, don't you think it gives a dangerous precedent in professional hockey? What if, with the Montreal Canadiens, Koivu, Kovalev, Huet and Aebischer decide to give their two weeks notice to play somewhere else? (I don't know about the US, but in Canada, we also have the "two week notice" law) Contracts would not mean anything anymore...

6. Gnarfflinger

That is scary. But the Russian Club did lie to Malkin, and there are claims that the one year deal was signed under duress...

But your example involving the collapse of the Montreal Canadiens did bring a chuckle to the face of this Leafs fan...

7. Triactus

Media:
    And I agree that it's completly plausible that the russian team made him sign, but until it's lawfully proven, anybody can use this situation as an example for the "two weeks notice". I just really hope it will never come to that. I'd be chaos all over...

From a Habs fanatic who hates the Leafs with passion... :almostmad:

:lol: :roll:

8. Gnarfflinger

I knew this should have gone in AoDA...

9. Triactus

Media:
    Haha, I was just kidding.. :p

Domi will announce, this afternoon, his retirement. Did you like him?

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Domi certainly wasn't a star but he was a roleplayer who performed his role well. He worked hard and certainly seemed to have a lot more love of the game than most players do this day. For that I respect him. However, the game has changed and the need for an enforcer type has been greatly reduced. That coupled with Domi's age made it the right time for Domi to hang up his skates.

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've no idea who 'Malkin' is or who the 'Pens' are. But I know what the NHL is.

I actually don't mind ice hockey, but it is a bit boring to watch. Too much downtime in the game like all other North American sports. I often lose the puck an all, it's too small and travels too quickly at times.

12. Gnarfflinger

Domi wasn't the offensive star, but his presence in the locker room and on the ice (and the bench) was important none the less. His passion was what charged the team up more than anything. While he will be missed, I think that rookie Ben Ondrus will take up that mantle, and be better suited to play in the new NHL.

13. Triactus

Media:
    I don't really like Domi as a hockey player, but still, I think it's rather harsh for a team to can someone as dedicated to the Leafs as Domi was. I mean, he could still skate, and he wasn't too bad in front of the net. I don't remember how many years were left on his contract, nor his salary, but there's always room for creative solutions (other than letting someone go)...

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Well it looks like Malkin is off to a good start - in his first NHL pre-season game he managed to injure himself in a collision with his own teammate.

15. Triactus

Media:
    lol, I juste saw it. That, to me, is irony. We've been hearing about Malkin for months now, and he gets injured on his first game... :lol: Imagine if he's out for the season.

16. Gnarfflinger

John Leclaire needs to remember that he needs to hit the OTHER team...

17. Triactus

Media:
    He probably forgot his glasses... You know how it is with old players... :D

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Word is that Malkin's injury is a dislocated shoulder. They say that he will be evaluated next week but I can't imagine that he will be ready to play by the start of the season.

19. Gnarfflinger

Yeah. John LeClair won't live that down for a while. Kind of sucks for the Pens...

20. Triactus

Media:
    Well, there's a good news and a bad one. The good new is that he'll be out for like 6 weeks. Bad news is he obviously won't start de season. It could have been a lot worse. But anyhow, let's face it. The Pens likely won't make the playoffs, so it's all a moot point.. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.