1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

pen and paper, what the hell are they?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by herf, Nov 11, 2000.

1. herf Guest

[​IMG] what the hell are pen and paper games? is it like useing dice and stuff? please tell me

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes, it's like that. It's the original form of playing by the (a)d&d system. It includes dice, pieces of paper, pens, players and a dungeon master.
    Search the web for more info if you're interested.

3. herf Guest

[​IMG] know any good websites where i can get them?

4. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

These kind of games really exercise your imagination!

5. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

You can buy D&D stuff from the Wizards of the Coast web site.

6. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Or a good bookstore. I go to Walden Books.

7. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I always had some intrest in finding out more, but never really bothered, is there like quests you do or something?

-Sep

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] You can get already in built quests but its so much more fun to create your own!

9. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The pen & paper games kick ass! But you really need a Dungeon Master whit an incredible imagination.

10. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Pen & Paper games, sometimes called table top, are the non-computer version of role-playing games (RPG). All computer RPGs or CRPGs are attempting to re-create PnP RPGs. If you don't have anyone to play with CRPGs are a lot of fun, but PnP is so much better. There are a countless number of PnP RPGs out there. This site (which is down right now) has one of the most complete lists of RPGs I've ever seen. http://www.rpg-archive.com/
    RPGs come in all shapes and sizes from the classic D&D, GURPS, White Wolf, Rifts, Shadowrun and a LOT more. Again as said above all you needs is a few books some dice, a group of players and a DM or GM (Game Master). I've been playing RPGs for almost 20 years and I love them. Unlike a computer game in a PnP RPG the only limit is your imagination.
    If you have any questions please let me know. I'd be happy to answer them.

11. Sniper Gems: 28/31

What kind of character do you play in ad&d games?

12. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Any that you can play in BG and BG2, as well as other ones added in supplements, ands there's loads more kits too.
    3rd edition is out now, and it kicks ass :D!

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited November 13, 2000).]

13. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] My lvl 2 cleric, Brother Josho, is always there. Crushing goblins and skeletons with powerfull strikes from his morning star or devastating bullets from his sling, or healing himself or his allies with magic or his knowledge of herbalism. ;)

14. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Pen and Paper games kick ass!

You know, when you start a new game in BG etc. you decide what your dex. is gonna be as well as your strength, wisdom, etc.? In AD&D, you do the same thing, only with real dice. A wizard must go through a spell book and decide what spells he takes, just like in BG.

Really, you don't have to conform to any set rules at all. You can just take a piece of paper, the BG guide book, and some dice.

All you need to do is have someone create a storyline, enemies, NPCs, obstacles, etc. That person will be your intuition, or Dungeon Master. He/She brings you through the quest by narrating the storyline. When combat is commenced, you roll dice to see how you strike (ever notice those subtitles in BG - "Imoen rolls 6" ?)

Casting spells takes a set amount of time unless struck, and maps can accompany all of this (or not).

My favorite AD&D game is Vampire: The Masquerade.

15. Sniper Gems: 28/31

I'm a Cleric called Quilton but i'm also a mage ... yes MAGE called Majikus...Wonder which one i ought to be...

16. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] As much as I love D&D is not the only PnP game out their. In addition there are lots of other styles of play. My groups run a few games. One guys runs the new D&D 3rd Ed. (which is great), I run a GURPS cyberpunk game, (like in William Gibson's books or Snow Crash), and another runs Shadowrun (an mix of cyberpunk and D&D). Imagine elves, dwarf and Orcs casting spells, using automatic weapons and computer hacking in the 2060. A great game.
    There are sl many games out their you can find anything! If there's some concept you're interested in there is a RPG for it. And with a good GM its like a game of BG that never ends and never gets old.

17. Sniper Gems: 28/31

That sounds a wee bit like Warhammer 40000...

18. herf Guest

ahhah, you like warhammer! me is tipsy so please excuse any peculiar bahaviour on my part, *burp*

19. Sniper Gems: 28/31

I comwand a bith army! It consitht of 3 infantree uniyts...own head quarter u...nit and a bikey squadron...no own musth no of thesis...*slumps into mug of ale drunk*

20. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] I see the quality of this conversation is going down hill fast. ;)

Warhammer is one of the few RPGs I haven't played. I know a little about it and I guess its like Shadowrun but not realy.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.