1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PDF files will not open?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Brallrock, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG] I have tried to DL several text documents from this site and I always get a message saying that Acrobat Reader con't open them because it is not a supported file type or it has been damaged, sent by an E-mail attatchment and wasn't properly decoded.

Any answers on what I'm doing wrong? I have XP home :mad: and currently have Acrobat Reader 7.0. I have tried opening them with Word and they are just gobley-gook. I'm tearing what little hair I have left out.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    For starters, it'd help if you wrote which files exactly you are having trouble with, and what exactly you are doing after you download them off SP. Provide a full archive name as you've downloaded it off SP.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

First ensure that they really are .PDF files and not, for example; TXT files. Word, of course, can't do a thing with them. Second, make sure that the error repeats with all files -not just with one of them (so you know is it corrupt or not). Third, try getting the latest Reader patch/version (7.0.5).

4. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Baldur's Gate II: SoA and ToB Single Character Guide by David "Magus" Scott

This is the last thing I've tried to DL, sorry don't remember the others, it was a while ago. Sorry I didn't include enough info! I just assumed that if word didn't open it must be a PDF file, how can you tell what kind of files they are, I looked but didn't see anything that indicated it on the page. I will DL the newest Acrobat Reader and see if that helps.

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    That is a compressed file. You need winrar to uncompress it before you can open it.

6. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Winrar aye? I hang my head in mortal embarassment, I geuss I'm just stupid and don't know how much I don't know. Thank you all so much for your help. I thought Winzip and winrar did the same thing, and I tried to open it with that (didn't put that in my post, sorry I forgot).

Well winrar opens it just fine. Are all the files on SP done with winrar?

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You need to look at the extension of the file name. If it's .rar then it's a RAR archive; if it's .zip then it's a ZIP archive; if it's .pdf, it's a PDF file etc.

8. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Now I see it, I just never paid that much attention to the file name. Sorry I wasted all of your time with my stupidity! I will earnestly endeavor to pay more attention and bother you nice people less. :o

9. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Paying attention is good, but not asking when in doubt is stupidity.. You did the right thing by coming here, and no matter how silly a question, you'd better ask next time too (It's a whole lot better to look silly than to mess up your comp cus you didn't dare ask!).

10. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

True, my father always said the stupidest question was the one you didn't ask because of pride. Thanks for the help and your patiience! :)

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Brallrock, you might also want to look around SP some more, there's actually info there to help you out with this:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Info/FAQ/index.php#6 ;)

As for your question regarding zip/rar files on SP; you'll see both. These days I prefer rar archives (and definitely everything larger than a couple of megabytes will be rar archived), but if I get smaller stuff in zips I leave them like that. And up until a year ago everything was zip archived for the sake of uniformity, but I've changed my mind about sticking solely with zip since then. There's little point really, when WinRAR can handle both compression formats.

12. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Thanks again Taluntain, I promise to search harder before I post questions. This site is awesome, I just need to be a bit less lazy.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    No problem, every post like this benefits 10 other people who don't ask anyway.

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Where do you want me to send the invoice :D :D :D

As Tal said, your post may save the next ten people who try it. Of course that probably won't happen as nobody ever uses the search function on message boards......

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.