1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Path of the Midnight Sun - Review @ RPGFan

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Jan 28, 2023.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]RPGFan has reviewed the Visual Novel/Tactical RPG Path of the Midnight Sun:

[​IMG]

Path of the Midnight Sun

It isn't exactly an unexpected tale from a fantasy JRPG, but it's still genuinely engaging with likable characters at its core.

Sometimes, the paths we travel on take us to unexpected places. One could argue the same of visual novel/JRPG hybrid Path of the Midnight Sun: an indie title that initially began life as a romhack of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. A successful Kickstarter later, Path of the Midnight Sun has developed into a game of surprising complexity and depth that, in several respects, stands side by side with its FE storyline inspirations. I enjoyed my time with the game immensely during my nearly thirty-hour playthrough!

As so often is the case, our tale begins with a knight on a mission of great importance. Unfortunately for Sir Suzaku Ornieres, he's also struck with mysterious amnesia. Still, blind priestess and apparent childhood friend Shiori quickly points him back in the right direction. Sixty years ago, the land experienced the devastating emergence of the Demon King, who was sealed away only through the efforts of a group of legendary heroes. Ever since, one person of incredible magic ability has been chosen as the Vassal, the living seal keeping the Demon King from returning. The current Vassal is the Princess Faratras of the kingdom of Hoikade, and Suzaku and Shiori must meet her by orders of their theocratic nation of Pylum to assess if the seal is still functioning.

[...]

Path of the Midnight Sun is a gorgeous game with superb art direction. I love the character portraits' detail and expressiveness, and the character and creature designs are spectacular! The VN illustrations are lovely to look at; though that quality is occasionally applied to fanservice, there are multiple options to skip the steamier fanservice hot springs illustrations should you prefer to do so. Live2D animation significantly keeps scenes from appearing too static, and the UI is sharp and easy to navigate.

The best way to play is using a mouse, but it is still relatively playable using a docked Steam Deck with a controller, as I did for this review, though that is not the optimal approach. The soundscape was phenomenal too. I love the sweeping orchestral scope of the soundtrack, and the voice acting is genuine and immensely high caliber. The story itself is enjoyable in terms of writing, but the expressive art, dynamic performances, and music help convey it efficiently.

I appreciate how the story so succinctly ties up its loose ends, and the epilogue makes the journey worth it. However, I did feel that the game's pacing could drag on at specific points with several "fake out" endings, which are a storytelling mechanic I dislike. Honestly though? I forgot all about that minor frustration when I finally reached the proper conclusion because it was such an entertaining journey overall. Much heart and soul went into creating Path of the Midnight Sun, and that effort shows time and time again throughout the game. It's worth tracking down and one I'll fondly remember playing for a while yet.

Score: 90/100

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2023
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.