1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party suggestions please?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by raptor, Aug 28, 2007.

1. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I just desided to start playing a bit IWD1 again, installed the usual with both expantions and such, and ease of use to be able to stack 500 arrows.

I've kinda grown tired of just making the "usual teams" so I wanted to try something a bit different, and desided to try to recreate some of the characters from Planescape Torment, naturally some of those characters are a bit "off limit", as a flying skull can be difficult to recreate in the game (Should be possible though, replacing hes animation with skull trap ;) ).

Desided to use the most Humanoid ones:

Nameless One
    Dak'kon
    Annah
    Fall-From-Grace

Now the the thing I am interested in your opinions, how would you recreate them in IWD1 ? There are some natural problems, with there beeing no Githzerai, Tiefling or Succubuss options for characters for one...

This is how I planned it at the start:

Nameless One: Human, TN, Fighter/Mage/Thief, using Axe and sling.

Dak'kon: Half-elf, LN, Fighter/mage, longsword, bow and later greatsword

Annah: Half-elf, CN, Fighter/Thief, dagger, bow, later shortsword

FFG: Elf, LN, Cleric, sling and mace

Now Annah and Dak'kon ain't that problematic, picking a "represents race" and they are go, edited in their stats from PST, save that I had to give Dak'kon higher inteligence, since PST have butchered the stats tables, and lets Dak'kon with INT 13 cast level 9 spells and learn spells with no failure in PST, not so in IWD1.

I though I had FFG solved, until I leveled up to level 5, and remembered that in PST she never had turn undead, and her main offensive spell was call lightning... So now I am curious, should FFG remain a cleric, change to druid, or become ranger/cleric to be cleric casting druid spells, and still have turn undead ? Don't like the Ranger/cleric idea as FFG is not a combat character (she even refuses to touch weapons, might drop close combat weapons on her completelly and use only sling for ranged). Her spell selection in PST also reminds me alot more about Druid than cleric.

Lastly, Nameless One... Let it just be said, Fighter/Mage/Thief might be a very fun class for solo, or as a support character. But not that great when your task is frontliner, and suposedlly the best of whatever he chooses to do in the group. I've considered changing him to pure Fighter, and let him dualclass to either Thief or Mage later in the game. Both options have merit, but I'm leaning toward the Fighter and dualclass (Still not decided on thief or mage, but that's a matter of taste and not accuracy as the rest here). Neither am I going to get into "stats" :p as he is a wee bit silly in that regard. I all plan to give him regeneration in some way, either an item (like a belt or ring) or innate regeneration. Not as crazy as the troll one, nor as crazy as hes regen on constitution 21+ in PST.

It could have been fun to let him "die" like trolls, to fall down and regenerate slowly up again, but I think it would be to difficult to accomplish (coded with troll if I figured it right), and a bit to broken and powerfull. Prefer to just have normal regeneration to let him heal fast between fights, and even hold of 1on1.

Also tempted to make innate ability version of raise dead and give him, even though you have to do specific quest to get that in PST, I've never played without it and consider it an "innte" thing in NO. So would just like to have it there for totalling it off.

Also given Annah her 50% cold resistance, and FFG her 100% fire and lightning resistance, 50 cold res, and 30 magic res, as per PST.

Lastly, curious if anyone ave any good suggestions for recreating any of the other characters in PST ? Morte could be human fighter with the skulltrap animation. Or if anyone knows of any good small tweaks? In NearInfinity I can alter for example FFG race from Half-Elf to "Tanari", but generally crashes the game. Or if anyone knows of any good graphics to use for said characters, that doesn't make them look 10 meter tall etc.

That's "it"!

-raptor

Edit: I also edit in portraits from PST, and is slowly working on setting up soundsets etc, to make it more interesting. Would have loved to added PST's animations for characters, but suspect that might look to silly with different sizes and all.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Does Dalekeeper allow you to adjust your character's animation? It might be easier to use than NearInfinity.

TNO -- Fighter dual class is probably more appropriate (or keep him as a fighter). You may be able use Dalekeeper to give him some thieving skill if you want, but there's really no need with Annah.

Annah -- what about her tail??? It's important.

Dak'kon -- stick with longsword and cheat the mastery. His focus is on his sword. Use elf to get a +1 for the sword.

FFG -- just don't use turn undead. Pure cleric. I'd go with cleric/mage before druid. You may be able to cheat in call lightning.

Morte -- too bad there's no demilich animation... how do you intend to do the bite? Monk would have been great here. Perhaps a beholder?

Vhailor -- could be a skeleton warrior (are those even in the game?) Perhaps Kresselack's icon.

Nordom -- can't think of anything here.

3. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

It does, but for some reason my Dalekeeper gonne havoc, and refuse to save. Tried downloading anew and install but still doesn't work. I can deal with NearInfinity, only problem is that I can't seem to find a way to "see" the animations, just change them.

TNO: I agree mostly, but there isn't all that good use for a mage either, with Dak'kon getting all the spells at the start... Technically I think he would be best to keep pure fighter, but I think I'll dual into thief, to have a eventually badass backstabber, also fun with stealth!

Annah: I know :( but I haven't found any good way of doing that (she still got her portrait, and her voice saying "Get yer eyes of my arse!" though!)

Dak'kon: Good idea, never even thought about the grand mastery he gets on swords (or Annah and Morte for that matter) I'll do that then. I would prefer to stay away from elf, mainly becose they are so costy to ressurect :p but also becose I kinda get the feeling of "halfbreed" "outsider" with halfelf, but you may be right (He certainlly looks more like an elf with those wicked long ears!).

FFG: She will be either pure cleric or pure druid, don't want to muck things up. If I use her as cleric then I will also use turn undead (I simply know I can not resist it!) if I run druid then I will not use wildshape (No problem, always forgot I had them anyways). She also ahve "cleric" in her creature file. Just annoyed me that spell selection reminded me more of druid. Probablly just stick with cleric...

Morte: Had a quick look at skulltrap animation, can't use it as creature animation unless I go and convert it so probablly not, could just use him as a skeletton though, but that would feel a bit "meeh".

Vhailor: good idea, might look into that (and see if I want him on the party that uptight jerk! ;) )

I consider Nordom the most difficult person to recreate, and thus given up on him. I could probablly do Ignus as human invoker CN, and give him some medium size fire elemental animation or such.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.