1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party starting to have trouble

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by DarkStrider, Dec 12, 2005.

1. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

[​IMG] I'm looking for advice about my party. The party in question contains a Level 12 Bard (using Bow), a level 12 Druid (using Staff), a level 8/9/9 Fighter/Mage/Cleric (using Flail or Sling) and a level 8/9/10 Fighter/Mage/Thief (using Crossbow). And I'm playing on normal level.

I've now reached Wyrm's Tooth having got through Dorn's Deep. I'm on the warm level of the Ice Aquarium, I've got the key to the surface and have given it to Gerald. The problem is that my party is losing at least one member per battle against the trolls and salamanders, I'm just not strong enough.

I don't want to change the level but I need to gain more experience. I also don't want to import one of my saved tanks, I want to complete this without tanks, if possible. My options as I see them are:
    1. Go back to the entrance of Dorn's Deep where the Myconid's and Ettins re-spawn and kill them to gain experience until I can survive the battles (I have saves before I left Dorn's Deep but completed destroying the Lich and restoring the halls).
    2. Export the charcters and re-start with the imported charcters.

I'm thinking of option 2 because I tried Heart of Winter for the first time ever when I was in Kuldahar before going to Dorn'd Deep (how fats can you say mistake) and got slaughtered by the Werewolves on the island in seconds (with multiple cries of WTF? and other such plesantries) and know I need to be tougher for that.

Any suggestions or advice will be gratefully received, and possibly rewarded with chocolate or hugs :D

2. Westhardus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I have not been so far, but old good combos like web or entangle + fire balls and cloud kills are not working?

3. DarkStrider

No I'm also (if I have enough time before she gets hit) casting 2 conjure Fire Elementals sadly they don't like the cold and in the next area I'm going to their fire damage is irrelevant against fire giants.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Use firespells, such as Burning Hands (very good!) and occasional fireball, they do great damage on icy things, protect mages with mirror image constantly, protection from cold/fire is needed to be casted on everybody, gulp potions of cold resistance, potions of defense, and whatever you have, fighter types should use ranged weapons while heavy summons (Undead are immune to cold! Try also water elementals!) delay the critters, use Slow spell it helps a ton with -4 to save it packs great punch, and use haste on party, if the enemies are slowed and your party is hasted you clearly will have an advantage! If your cleric can stay alive (s)he can raise fallen members, as (s)he has 9 levels of cleric Raise Dead spell should be available methinks. Other than that it should be pretty easy, I killed the whole bunch of ice salamanders with only 2 characters, with heavy summons though. If you are troubled run to the exit to the slaves, you may rest and continue butchering since salamanders can not follow you there. :D

Have fun, you can do it! It is NOT that hard!

5. DarkStrider

Don't have the scroll/spells for protection from elements etc, only potions I have left are healing, antidote, mummy's tea and coffee oh and two potions of speed. I have the feeling I didn't plan this very well. But hey-ho I've carved an empire with less. And I'm running out of arrows and bolts and bullets I do wish that wonderful missile bag from watcher's keep was available.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

The level 2 cleric spell Protection from Fire/Cold grants %50 resistance to both IIRC, use it!

Slow down your opponents, haste your party. Add a Malison first to even the odds!

Confusion/chaos type spells after a Malison may work wonders!

Summon a lot! Summon A LOT OF undead and water elementals and haste them all! OR, summon fire elementals, and while salamanders are busy killling them throw fireballs and burning hands and Flame Strikes, fire elemental is conveniently immune whilst poor Salamanders and Icy Trolls take amplified damage!

Go on a rampage with your mages hurling fire spells here and there, if you aim right salamanders will be hurt and ice trolls dead. If you fear your own fighters being hurt cast lvl 3 cleric spell PfromFire on those suspectible. Flamestrike?

If you are endangered, run to the exit downstairs and rest.

Don't give up!

Give us feed-back!

7. DarkStrider

I'm not going to give up I've invested a lot of time in these guy and gals but you've given some new ideas to try, thanx.

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    You've got a bard - use him!

The regeneration ability from the War Chant is not to be taken lightly. It can make a huge difference in many battles.

The salamanders are nasty because of the aura, but they're pretty weak against fire-based spells, so take advantage of that.

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Your party isn't too weak, you are just using the wrong tactics. Your druid can beat your enemies even alone.

Have always "Protection from evil 10' " cast on your party. Adding the mage version gives even better AC and saving throws.
    Emotion Hope, Emotion Courage, Recitation, Haste are some of the great buffs, summon before buffing.

Pause your game often, both during combat preparation and combat.

Don't run after your enemies, shoot them while they are busy beating your summons. 6 summoned bears should beat any troll easily. You Use sunscorch,fire seeds melf's acid arrow and other things to kill dying trolls.

Use strength and cat's grace on anyone who isn't maxed out.

For the frost salamanders: Summon Skeletons. They are immune to cold and resistant to piercing damage. Use them as meat shields while you shoot them apart.

Improved Invisibility can also be very useful.

You can (and should) always go back and buy missiles if you need them.

Here some megacheese: (if you really need it)

Have your druid memorize as many static charge as he can.
    Let him cast all (5 ?) of them in a row.
    Cast invisibility on him.
    Have him walk to the enemies and wait.
    Static charge should go off about every second round for about 110 rounds, doing 59 electricity damage average (save for half damage).
    This gets even better when he gains levels.
    If you're outside you can combine this with call lightning, if you don't have the invisibility spell (you can still find it in the southeastern tomb in the Vale of Shadows) or this doesn't work have your druid run around in wolf form.
    Static charge disappears when you save and reload after casting it.

If you haven't been in Kuldahar since chapter 4 began, go there now, you can buy new spells from Orrick.

10. DarkStrider

@Ziad you're right I haven't been using her as a bard but as a mage and forgotten about her songs.

@Kmonster yes I know I've been using the wrong tactics that's why I posted. The thing is I would have carried on and eventually worked out some tactics but thought why not ask the people here and save time. My normal party that I've taken through before is Fighter/Thief, Barbarian, Ranger/Cleric or Cleric, Druid or Fighter/Druid, Mage and Sorcerer and of course I haven't a problem with them.

11. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

If everything else fails , change the level to easy, just for a while. It will double the amount of xp, and make your enemies weaker - as I said - Just for a while :rolleyes:

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

@DarkStrider: Are we talking about the same game ?
    As far as I know there is no barbarian and sorcerer class in IwD and there is only one werewolf in HoW (and you shouldn't even kill him).
    Your first party doesn't seem much stronger than your current.

13. DarkStrider

@Kmonster that's my IWD2 party replace the barbarian with a straight fighter and the sorcerer with a mage. :doh: The difference in parties is not strength but numbers in the party I'm using I have nobody to hold off their front-runners whilst the other people range attack, cast spells etc. In my original party I can have up to 4 at the fornt with 2 behind and that's what I meant. As for HoW I've had one minor go at it a couple of months ago and I got the s**t kicked by what I remember as werewolves on an island, I may be wrong.

14. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

@Darkstrider:
    You're probably talking about the barrow wights, drowned dead and wailing virgins on Burial Isle in HoW.
    It's the hardest place in the whole game (including ToTL), HoW gets pretty easy after that.
    With invisibility you can avoid the battles (and unfortunately the XP gain also) there.

15. DarkStrider

Quite possibly but it happened that fast i was just sitting ther saying WTF :)

16. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Or you could be talking about the summoned wolves and bears??? They appear on the island and kicked the crap out of me a couple times.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  17. DarkStrider

Thought you'd like to know that by changing my tactics I breezed the Ice aquarium especially after I got my undead and fire elemantals doing the melee work while my pc's stood behind with ranged weapons and spells. Many thanks for your help. :)

18. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

19. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

YAY! :banana:

I said you could do it!
    Congratulations. :thumb:

Now, on to the harder and meaner battles! :roll:

20. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

When in doubt:

1)Missile Weapons
    2)War Chant of the Sith

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.