1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party/sorcerer questions

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by nl255, Jan 30, 2004.

1. nl255 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I was considering a new party for my second time though the game, and I was wondering if it would be any problem if the only people in my party who could cast mage spells were a blade, a thief/mage multiclass, and my sorcerer? Would the lack of a pure mage (either single classed, or a dual class with the mage as the second (active) class) cause any problems, or can you get away with only a sorcerer as a primary high level mage (with the blade and thief/mage as backup casters who can handle breach and pierce magic).

2. Crom the Powerfull Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Sorcerers are pretty much the most powerfull class in the game once you reach higher levels. You need only some melee backup in the beginning. Pick your spells carefully though, if you pick the wrong ones, you end up with a worthless character. Your sorcerer spells are enough, especially once you get the high level spells, the blade and thief/mage as backup is a good choice.

3. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I wouldn't recommend on the Blade being solely a back-up caster. His spells may be able to pack a more painful wallop than any other mage, but you should focus more of his slots on simple direct-damage and buffing spells.
    As previously stated, a sorcerer is more than enough for any game, unmodded. ;)

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Sorcerer will easily be enough, if not more so. With Robe of Vecna and Amulet of Power he'll have dragon's breath cast almost instantly. Just chuck him spells like breach, limited wish, chromotomic orb, blur, fireball, mirror image and such that improve with later levels. No limited spells like acid arrow and he'll tear through anything.

5. Crom the Powerfull Gems: 3/31

Now that I think of it, what would be your choice of spells as an sorcerer ?

Level 1 :

Magic missle
    Chromatic Orb
    Burning Hands
    Charm Person
    Identify

Level 2 :

Blur
    Melfs acid arrow
    Mirror Image
    Invisibility
    Web

Level 3 :

Dispel
    Fireball
    Haste
    Melf Minutes Meteors
    Hold Person

Level 4 :

Fireshield ( Blue or Red )
    Greater Malison
    Spirit Armor
    Stoneskin
    Farsight

Level 5 :

Breach
    Lower Resistance
    Sunfire
    Spell Immunity
    Cone of Cold

Level 6 :

Chain Lightning
    Power Word: Silence
    Death Spell
    Protection from Magical Energy
    True Sight

Level 7 :

Finger of Death
    Power Word: Stun
    Ruby Ray of Reversal
    Spell Sequencer
    Spell Turning

Level 8 :

Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
    Simulacrum
    Improved Mantle
    Maze
    Symbol: Stun

Level 9 :

Dragon's Breath
    Energy Blades
    Improved Alacrity
    Time Stop
    Imprisonment

I dont know how much spells you will get at higher levels, but these are the most important ones I guess ?

[ January 30, 2004, 16:06: Message edited by: Crom the Powerfull ]

6. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

A sorcerer only gets FIVE spells per level, not six.

7. Crom the Powerfull Gems: 3/31

Oopsie :D
    Corrected things now :rolleyes:

8. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

You will get by with your picks but here are a few of my choices I would recommend :)

lvl 1 -

Choose anything but Magic Missile and Chromatic orb are must haves. Spook still works against higher level enemies. Shield could be handy but not really needed later.

lvl 2 -

Ditch Invisibility take Glitter dust (if you have tactics installed or plan to in the future this is your only way of temporarily dispelling Spell Immunity: Divination and Invisibility combo. The blinding effect is handy as well.

Lvl 3 -
    I would take Skull trap over Fire ball - do a search for why. Protection from missiles - getting spell disruption from the back rows and can sometimes save your stoneskins for melee rather than archers picking them off.

lvl 4 -

Spirit Armour? You have more important things to do than cast that, right? Here is four I could not live without:

Stoneskin
    Polymorph Self (Fighting Arcane Spellcasters becomes laughable when you turn into the mustard jelly shape - 100% mag res)
    Greater Malison
    Fireshield whatever

lvl 5 -

Sunfire is good as it bypasses mag res of enemies. Breach is a must have. I usually take Shadow Door but there is no real reason because of Mislead.

Lvl 6 -

The only one I would recommend out of your picks is Death Spell for getting rid of enemy summons.

Great Spells include:

Improved Haste
    Mislead
    Tensers Transformation or Prot from Mag energy
    Protection from Mag weapons

The reason I edge away from True Sight is that a thief can improve his skill Detect Illusion which does the job for you or an Inquisitor has it as a natural ability - but if you don't want either of these True Sight is the way to go :)

lvl 7 -

If your wisdom is 18 take limited wish - Fully healing party and i think replenishes spell as well is very handy.

Khelbens Warding Whip removes three Spell prot over three rounds 8th lvl and lower - much better than Ruby Ray reversal (although it does remove spell trap (yuor choice - if your worried about Spell Trap take this)

Mordiekens Sword is one of the best summons in the game - a must have!

Project Image is extremely good though I rarley take it - do a search to find out how good it is.

Lvl 8 -

Pretty good choices though there aren't many - the only one I would swap is Maze for Pierce Shield (you get a breach and Lower magic res in one which is why i don't take lower res spell.

Lvl 9 -

Ok, some of your spells (Imp. Alacrity, Dragons Breath and Energy blades) are high level abilities so you will get them regardless of your picks from the spell books ;)

Ditch Imprisonment - its a load of bollocks!

Wish is very good but you need 18 Intel and wisdom so be careful.

Timestop is great spell if not a little cheesey. Take this one first ;)

I like shapechange and would always recommend it but others disagree.

Spell Trap is good but you can always use staff of th Magi to cast the spell - Spell Strike would be my alt pick.

Finally, if you took Tensers Transformation take Black blade of Disaster <ducks from fast moving stones thrown by understanding SP'ers> :p

Your Sorcerer can only *learn* max 5 spells per level and then he is stuck with them for good - he can however cast these spells more times such as 6 spells per level may be cast. When writing your picks you seem to be under the impression they can learn 6. Anyway, I hope that helps :)

9. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well in terms of level 10 abilities a sorcerer can cast all of them. So you dont have to worry about hlas, since memorization isnt an issue everyone of them will be avaliable to you at any time. You forgot the most important spell for a cheesy sorcerer in the game, project image. This is by and far the most important spell a sorcerer can have, because it gives you 7 extra spell books to use. And since a sorcerers spell book is so versatile its just an amazing spell. You could be ultra cheesy, summon 5 planetars, improved haste all of them, cast wizards eye, and beat almost any encounter in the game without ever having to put your real sorcerer in danger. Also protection against magical weapons is much much better than mantle or improved mantle. Cone of cold can be swapped for animate dead, which gives you powerful and resistant summons at level 15. Imprisonment isnt really neccessary, however it is an ace up your sleeve, and is basically the most powerful offensive spell in the game, and can eliminate anything that can be targeted, without save, or magical resistance interfering. However loot is lost, which kinda sucks, but for enemies like irenicus unmodded imprisonment is truly and totally deadly.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.