1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party Level Entering Chapter 4 - very minor spoiler?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ulfgar Prigor, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Ulfgar Prigor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm not really sure if this discussion constitutes a spoiler, but wanted to alert potential readers just in case.

In a nutshell, this is my understanding of the progress of the game.

The Protagonist and the NPC's spend Chapters 2 and 3 of the game in Athkatla and surronding areas, chasing various quests, experience points, and treasure.

The game player essentially has the choice of when to trigger the events that will end Chapter 3 and move the game forward to Chapter 4. At that point, the game becomes more linear through Chapters 4 and 5. Once the player has moved on to Chapter 4, the aforementioned quests are no longer available until the Protagonist and NPC's return to Athkatla for Chapter 6.

Unless one has an incredible amount of free time on his hands, it probably isn't feasible to do every single quest that is available.

I would assume that it is possible to move on to Chapter 4 having completed too few of the quests. If one moves on to Chapter 4 with insufficient power to face the challenges presented there and in Chapter 5, the results could be deadly for the characters and frustrating for the player having to reload.

Bottom line - at what level should the Protagonist and NPC's be to be able to handle the challenges of Chapters 4 & 5?

2. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I've done them immediately after assembling the party and retrieving the amount of gold needed to trigger Chapter 3. That made me around levels 10-12. It was a bit difficult, but absolutely possible.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think the game is designed such that you can go to Ch. 4 as soon as you have enough gold and still be able to get through to Ch. 6

Of course, doing a few sidequests in Ch. 2 doesn't hurt either. After all, an adventurer wants to make sure (s)he's prepared, right? ;)

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You can be just about any level, but I'd say ~12 is what the game was designed for. But you can easily be 15th level or higher.

A slight spoiler:

Imoen is level 12 when you get her back. If you're extremely high level she is fairly useless thoughout the underdark.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I disagree. I tried to go to Chapter 4 ASAP my first time through, thinking that I really wanted to get my trusty sidekick Imoen back and couldn't bear the thought of leaving her in Spellhold. I got my butt kicked pretty badly and finally gave up and did some additional side quests before trying again.

Hmm, I'm going to have to try rushing through to save Imoen again now that I'm more experienced with the game. Something new to try.

6. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I think I base it more on equipment than level.

That is to say...if I am happy with the way my guys are equipped, and we seem to be handling ourselves okay in scraps with critters, and worked out some strategies...then it is time to head off to find Imoen/kill Irenicus.

This I 'learned' from soloing. I basically had to rightly equip my mage with good bracers and a certain staff before I was ready to carry on. Levels were achieved very easily (all exp went to me ;) ) and I made lots of money from all the (to me) useless 'stuff' I had found.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.