1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party help

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Elvenblade, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

So i have just played the game for my first time and is now making preperations for my next party.
    Any suggestions would be welcome.

I was planning to make my party look something like this.

Human or half-elf ranger
    Human paladin
    Elf wizard
    Half-elf thief or mage/thief
    Dwarf fighter/cleric
    Human fighter/druid

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Everything depends on if you have Heart of Winter installed.

Multiclassing rules on Heart of Winter. Because you can obtain a multiclassed level 30 fighter/mage/thief. Level 30 in all three classes.

Not so with pure IwD. You can obtain a maximum of like, level 14 or 15. Whatever 1,950,000 XP gives you. Which limits it to a level 7 fighter, multiclassed with a level 8 mage.

If you're playing HoW, then I would throw a bard in that mix somewhere. The bard has one useful song, that actually comes in handy even in the end chapters (4 and 5). And she/he can cast enough spells to compliment a wizard or sorcerer.
    Plus, there's some dialogue choices that are specific to a bard. 4 or 5 I remember, right off the top.

Other than that, the ranger is nearly a wasted class. You get one extra attack if you don't use a shield (meaning, one handed weapon). But that's not a true dual-wield.

A pure cleric comes in handy, especially with that paladin, if you're going to Heart of Winter. The Isle of the Dead is HEAVY with undead, and loads you up on experience if you have a medium level (figure, 10 or 11) cleric and paladin turning undead. Sure, you have to run after them, but it breaks them up enough that they don't swarm you as much.

If you are dead set with that party, then use it. You will do just fine. You might give serious consideration to a bard, though. Even if you don't have HoW installed.

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Two warriors in a do or die style. Thats all I needed, and it was easier to control without mages casting spells and running around in their nancy boy ways. But like EJ Smith says Multi class characters ROCK!!!

4. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Hmmm.. :hmm: maybe i should skip the ranger and make a fighter instead, and a bard would also be a good choice, i have to think on this one.

5. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

That is a good party selection, but instead of an elf ranger I would make him/her a ranger/cleric. This way you can caste druidic and clerical spells, but also be able to fight too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.